Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Chroming stuff?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2001, 07:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dill
Thanks alot dude. I found a local place that will do it for me. Thank you...

Old 12-06-2001, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider

Dang.. You got it done before I could reply. There's a shop down the road from my house that does dipping, but I'm not so sure I want it done to mine. I think I would much rather go with Powdercoating. Powdercoating doesn't chip as easily, and is alot more durable than the thing chrome plating. Also, it doesn't cost as much. I would really like to get my frame done this winter, and get my upper A-Arms chromed, and the lower ones powdercoated.. I think that would look sweet. That's the way Roll does theirs..

Old 12-07-2001, 12:59 AM
Trailblazer

Prang,
Do you know why people are telling you to get something besides chrome? Because its a serious waste of money, I tried to tell you. Sorry if I came off as an a**, not gonna give ya one of those fake excuses, I was bein one! But there are MANY other WAY BETTER coatings than chrome! I prefer polishing! But chrome seriuosly is crap compared to the otheres. I've never had any experiance with ceramic but i've heard thats its good! But with polishing all you do is polish it once then after that all you have to do is a really easy and quick polsih, it takes me about 20 minutes to do all my touch-up polishing. I have tie-rods, case saver, handlebars, cool head, wheels, nerf bars, bumper, and grab bar! My Mom has some AWESOME polish, but is REALLY expensive! If you're interested let me know! thanx

Old 12-07-2001, 02:43 AM
Trailblazer

I use a lot of polished alluminum on my bike and it looks a lot like chrome but lasts better.. You might give that a try on the parts you can.
Chrome is a bitch to keep nice, but if you are into a lot of maintance anyway..then go for it.

Old 12-07-2001, 03:23 AM
Pro Rider

Crome loosso nice and i know it holds heat in. but it looks so nice. hmm. I have seen that aluminum looking powder coat before and it looks good bu ot as ncas hrome. OH well my bike isnt for show so who knows wa i will do. Thanks forthe help guys. Cannondale i still dont like u. grrr just kidding its all good... thxs

Old 12-07-2001, 03:32 AM
Trailblazer

You might be talking bout "powdercoat silvervein"??? Its awesome and i'm gona get it done to my swingarm and shorten it too. You cant really stain it, and never looks dirty! Just remember chrome makes stuff weaker and powdercoat makes it stronger! The guy that sold me my R is opening up a powdercoating shop (he is building a full lobo chassis with the cr450f motor! He just built a $1200 300R piece by piece)), he might do chrome dipping, i dunno. Make SURE whoever does your chrome sandblasts and degreases your swingarm!!! if not it will peel in sheets!!!

Old 12-07-2001, 12:05 PM
Pro Rider

cannondale: all the stuff you listed is aluminum. This is easily polished, however, you cannot polish steel like you can to aluminum, so chrome is a good process to use on steel.

Old 12-07-2001, 01:16 PM
MrP
Pro Rider

cannondaleMOTO440- who is your buddy you bought your bike from?

Old 12-07-2001, 05:31 PM
Trailblazer

scott sanchez, do you know him?

Old 12-08-2001, 12:26 PM
Trailblazer

I have alot of stuff chromed on my two R's and with a little normal maintenance I never have had any problems, and it is not near the time as it would take to try and keep your polished parts looking good( and I don't care what you do they will never have the mirror reflection of chrome) and I strictly ride at the oregon dunes on the coast. I have every nut and bolt chromed along with all my brackets, radiator shrouds,pipe (with proper jetting will never blue mine is 4 years old now),calipers, swing arm,side cases,a-arms,axle,steering stem.

I do have my frame powder coated and the draw backs of powder coating is that when it chips you have to try and match the color and it is fairly thick so it takes time to fill it in and if you use it on engine parts it also retains the heat.

As far as chrome weaking your parts that is not true I have never had any of my parts break or crack and have had several conversations with the owner of the chrome shop I use about the parts being weaker and he says it is a myth. The shop I use is a family owned buisiness scince 1930 and he also guarantees his chrome for life against any defects like bubbles or peeling, chipping,(not from a rock that would dent the part or if it has been struck by a object) all shops should guarantee this because they are process failures in preping for chrome.

If you would like to see picture of my two R's you can go to http://www.roostfest.com and go to whats new and click on Rad-R's duaghter 250r it has picture of both my 1989 and 1988 R

Quick Reply: Chroming stuff?