Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400ex gearing and 22" tires opinions

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-1999, 10:52 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I ride a 2000 400ex and I ride a lot in the poconos in PA (lots o' rocks). I have ordered full skid plate protection, which will make me feel much better on some of the trails. My question is, what are the pros and cons of going to 22" rear tires in order to gain an inch of clearance. Will I be sacrificing much in terms of performance, turning, speed, weight, jumping, etc. I am thinking about going with the 22" Razr rears and 23" Razr fronts, I've heard lots of good things about them. Should I not let the clearance issue bug me and just stay with stock sizes? Now, I know I will lose some torque with the 22's but I want to counteract that by changing sprockets, so what sprocket would you change and what would you change it to, how much does it cost to do it and can a rookie swap it out? Are performance sprockets worth the $$$? Thanks for the help and opinions, it's because of positive comments on this board on the 400ex that I now own one.

Old 11-05-1999, 01:15 PM
Pro Rider

Hi,
I am running 22" Maxis All Trax and stock gearing on my 400EX. They have huge lugs, as big as Vipers. The tires help very much in mud and getting over logs and such. But, they are too agressive for radical sliding and they bog the motor down a bit much on hill climbs. Jumps are ok with them.
You can get an idea of my riding style at
www.uslink.net/~philzie

[This message has been edited by philzie (edited 11-05-1999).]

Old 11-05-1999, 03:05 PM
Pro Rider

If a person does the math (I haven't for the 400 (if I could remember the rear sprocket size I would) but I did for my 250R a couple of years ago) I believe you will find that to counteract for the 2" larger tires you will need to drop one tooth on the front and add one tooth on the rear. That brings it back almost exactly to stock on the 250. One tooth off the front will probably do nicely though.

A front sprocket will cost $15-$25. Yes a rookie can easily do it with a couple tools.

With 22" tires you will probably notice more tire roll in the corners (depending on their sidewall construction) and a little better ride quality. Your wheels will enjoy the protection of a little more rubber between them and the ground, but other than that, it probably won't affect you a whole lot if you change the gearing. I have run 22" tires on the rear of my bikes for years, only switching to 20" when I want a little less sidewall roll. My 400 currently has the 20" on the rear.

Gabe
86ATC250R
86ATC350X
00TRX400EX

Old 11-05-1999, 05:41 PM
Trailblazer

I noticed the same problem with mine the first time I took it out. I am also considering the 22's and a smaller sprocket up front, haven't decided which tires yet. Be sure to post which tires you decide to go with and how you like them so I have a better idea of which ones to get.
Thanks, Mike

'00 400ex '89 Blaster

Old 11-05-1999, 09:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

My buddy just put 22" Razors on his 400EX. No noticeable difference in performance. He even dropped two teeth on the rear sprocket to gain some top end. He had tons of low end to start with. We ride in Central PA in alot of old strip mines. Lots of rocky trails. He has both the swingarm skidplate and full chassis plate. They take quite a pounding but no problems yet. Just a reminder Honda didn't put a master link in the chain from factory so you have to grind a link out to remove the chain. Good Luck.

Old 11-05-1999, 09:39 PM
Pro Rider

Zjnut.
That extra inch in ground clearence is well worth it in my opinion.Having XCT's all the way around has made a big difference, about 80% less hits to the skid plate.(Curently DG BAJA)AS for Razr's I was not aware they now make a 22 inch tire.

As for the gear changing,It's not that hard.It'll take yea about five minutes.I've had no problems with a standard 14 thooth sprocket.Stock being 15 thooth on the front.It's held on with two bolts.Changing just the front will get you back to 90% of stock.Cost was about $12 bucks.Good luck.

Changing front sproket requires slight chain adjustment after install.Loosen bolts on rear swingarm and adjust to spec.Retighten.

[This message has been edited by trx430ex (edited 11-05-1999).]

Old 11-06-1999, 01:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have run stock tires and 20" bandits. i now have xct's all the way around and they are great. i ride at turkey bay ohv area in kentucky where their are rocky hillclimbs and bad ruts and washouts. the 22's gave me the ground clearance i needed to stop getting hung up. as for gearing my ex has an e-series exhaust, k&n and jet kit with no problems, stock gearing (15-38). hope i could be some help. CB400EX

[This message has been edited by CB400EX (edited 11-05-1999).]

Old 11-06-1999, 01:35 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for all the helpful responses. I will definitely go for the Maxxis Razr 22 inchers as soon as I get tires of stock or I replenish my bank account. Just, to confirm, the Razr's are now available in 22x11x9 which is very sweat.... the bandits will be out in that size within 3 months as well... so soon 22" tires may be a lot more popular on sport quads.

Old 11-12-1999, 05:18 PM
Pro Rider

Amen-This quad feels like it should have 22 inch tires stock.MAN what a difference!!

Update-
Today installed 39 tooth, (38 tooth being stock)on rear with new chain.Now running 14 up front/39 on rear with XCT's all the way around.VS-15/39 stock.

Let me tell you this quad can get out of hand quick!!!Got it up on one wheel exiting through the first turn.WOW!!Must now hold on tighter!Top speed still around 68 mph.

Notes-
Stock chain must be cut off to replace.IE-no clip.
New chain had a press on clip also.So I had to go to the dealer and use special $70 tool.

Got about 1100 miles out of original chain.

[This message has been edited by trx430ex (edited 11-12-1999).]

Old 11-22-1999, 06:53 PM
Pro Rider

Update-A 14 tooth front/39 tooth rear sproket with 22 inch tires.Has turned out to be the best combination yet for performance.

It absulutly leaps out of the hole.And stays right in the meat of the power band.Toped out 5 th gear at about 65-68 mph.

This gearing is just a little past stock setup, I'f you do the math.Lower that is.

Quick Reply: 400ex gearing and 22" tires opinions