Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Need performance help with a XR-80

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2001, 01:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First the wife isn't going to let me get the boy a CR-80 quite yet, so it's mod time.
I'm looking at pipes, I barrowed a powroll over sized header with supertrapp silencer, and we realy didn't like it, the header stuck out to far and it kept burning his leg even with motocross pants on and the silencer was just a supertrapp universal type.
I talked to powroll and they say that one is for up to the 2000 year and don't quite work with the 01 models.
powroll offers a billet bushing that is sappose to boost power some, but not realy sure thats what we want.
I checked with FMF and they have a complete system, some what cheep to $135, but then I found a procircuit T-4 for $199 that looks real good.
Any one have any experience with these.
My plans are to follow up with a air filter, powroll cam, heavier valve springs, and I have the heavier clutch in it already.
Thanks, I know it's not a quad, but I'm sure I'm not the only one here with a boy who rides with them.

Old 12-20-2001, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider

I did some tinkering in my day with the 4 cycle Honda bike engines.
Here is the one thing I learned, I hope it still holds true, as it HAS been a few years.
There is more power to be found in matching the right cam & jetting to your riding style, than in any other single thing. Just be sure to match the cam to riding style (don't get a 'max HP' cam for trail riding). I had good luck with the Supertrapp exhaust, but don't know if they make one to fit the 80. You can add or remove disks, and it will help tune the pipe. Between this & jetting changes, you can to an extent adjust the RPM range where the most power is made.
The XR engines are pretty sturdy, and will take quite a bit of hop-ups before becoming unreliable.

Don't discount the XR machines. Sure, they are no CRs, but they can be made pretty peppy, and will run about forever.

Old 12-21-2001, 07:08 AM
Pro Rider

I am also pretty sure tht DMC makes a full system pipe that looks really nice.

Old 12-21-2001, 08:35 AM
Pro Rider

I must agree, the stock jetting is quite rich.
I found powroll makes a mild cam, but just found out it's very expensive for this machine. I found web cam makes three cams, one for stock engines, one for mid to top end power and will work with mods, and then a race cam for racing only.
I'll go with the mid to top end cam, as he races but also likes enduro riding.
The pipe is a tough one, supertrapp makes what they call a universal 3", this is the one I remember as the XR/XL pipe, but no spacific one for the little 80. The procircut has the T-4 wich looks real good as far as power goes, The fmf just doesn't look like much was put into it as far as research goes. DMC, I'm not formilliar with this one, but I would like to find one with tunable disc.
I don't sell anything short on this little xr, I have a 100 I'm selling now and it has a cam in it and it has quite some power for a 100.
The boy has been racing moto cross and will join us in GNCC racing this year so we are trying to get him some more power as his riding ability has come quite a ways.
I rode two strokes all my life and have my first four stroke, From my experience if this XR works out I don't believe he would want to go to a two stroke because of the far different riding styles.
The little thumpers have alot to offer and as EPA situations go who knows how long the two strokes will last.
Thanks for all your help and any suggestions would be graetly appretiated.

Old 12-22-2001, 10:38 AM
Pro Rider

I know DMC's pipe's for quad's are amoung the best powerwise. Click Here for some info about the DMC xr 80 pipe.