Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

buying a 250ex on saturday

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2002, 03:29 PM
mrl
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey everyone, thanks for all the input. I'm going to stick with the 250ex... my buddy who rides has a yamaha blaster, and he tells me the 250ex will take his bike. both the guys i talked to at the dealer tried to stray me away from the 400ex when i said i was a first time rider, and just suggested that if for some reason i thought the 250 wasn't powerful enough that i could always get performance parts for it like a new pipe and air system and i would probably be satisfied with that. i've got to wait until tuesday to get my bike now, because on saturday the banks closed and we never got a response about financing and honda wanted 18% apr with a $1270 down payment for a first time buyers program. So, on tuesday, we're going with a credit union and hopefully by wednesday i'll have it at my house, and this weekend i'll be learning to ride it. Thanks everyone for your input!

Old 01-13-2002, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider

Hate to tell you but a pipe and all that crap is not going to do much for the amount it costs. Unless you plan on staying a beginner for the rest of your life I wouldn't get it.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 01-14-2002, 12:49 AM
Trailblazer

okay, this is my last try. shame is my last resort in helping a fellow rider....

1) i'm a girl the size of a friggin fifth grader and i now handle the quad easily. If I can learn to safely handle the 400ex you can too! (when i first starting riding the 400ex, it took me about 3 riding weekends to learn how to handle it and then i was comfortable on it. During those first weekends I thought the quad (friends 400ex w/ a pipe) might be too much for me, but after learning how to ride it I am very comfortable on it. I will never buy a lesser powered quad than this one, ever.) By the way, I softened the suspension in the rear and front since I don't weigh a lot.

2) a 17 year old kid i rode with a week ago was on a rental 250ex and at the end of the day i let him and his Dad on my 400ex. The kid was not very big, actually pretty skinny and maybe your height. The kid loved it and it looks like his Dad may buy the 400ex for him instead of a 250ex. He was not a very experienced rider, just one starting out. He handled the quad pretty good.

If you are concerned about your ability to learn to handle a 400ex, by all means get the 250ex. I do not wish you to be injured. If you learn well and have decent reflexes please re-think your decision. Yes, the 400ex will cost you more but it's worth it!

If you aren't in a rush to buy, Honda sometimes has deals that include better financing or cash back. Check out www.hondamotorcycle.com to see their current specials - some dealers won't mention the cashback until you are settled on a price and you don't know the cashback is part of it until too late. Be informed! I bought my 400ex in Northern California for $5700 out the door (MSRP was $5699) I put a $1000 down by choice and was able to choose between 6.9%, 7.9% and 8.9% (depending on how many months). This was thru Honda, not the 18% revolving credit package that you can get.

good luck - email me if you have any questions
my email

Old 01-14-2002, 10:45 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey everybody... JUST STOP!!!

let him get the 250EX.... he can spend a couple of years on it and he might find he likes extreme terrain like, hills, rocks, and Mud over jumping and riding wheelies...

then he could get a 4x4..... or he might find he likes trails, tracks, etc. then he could upgrade to a 400EX or by that time, the new 450EXR.....

but for less than $4K.... the 250EX can jump and play in the mud with much confidence
and it pulls good wheelies too!

don't be a salesman, be supportive!!!

Old 01-14-2002, 11:50 AM
Range Rover

<< I am 5'3&quot;- 5' 6&quot; and it is still great

MasterOfDisaster
>>

How do you grow and shrink like that? That is some strait up david copperfield stuff. Anyway The 250 is a great machine, you will love it. From what you are saying the only other machines I would recomend are the blaster or honda 300. Have fun and buy a good helmet.

Old 01-15-2002, 03:53 PM
Pro Rider

DSAPP,

How did you reverse the front wheels?

The valve stem hits, and the steel flanges for the lugnuts (in the rim) are chamfered so you can't flip them.

Old 01-15-2002, 04:29 PM
Pro Rider

Get the 250EX, you will love it. I have a 300EX and my brother has a 250EX. I love that little 250, its just so fun, and fast to. I was racing a lakota the other day and I was beating it. Not to mention its user friendly. And you dont have to worry about the clutch and chain, or stuff like that. And it has reverse which is always handy, no matter what anybody tells you, I see it as a waste of riding time to pick up the front end everytime you have to turn around. So don't let anyone stray you away from the 250EX, its just a great bike.

Old 01-16-2002, 12:38 AM
Range Rover

I dont know if you bought it already but if I were you I wouldnt. I have one and after riding some fast quads I am really craving more power like the other guy said. And I have only had it for a couple months. The only reason I got it was because I was a beginner just like you. I had never even been on a 4 wheeler before October. And now that I have ridden with some good experienced riders and such, I want something else. Its fast enough for a beginner but as soon as you drive a clutch and chain, you will be hooked and want one. Especially if you drive a 2 stroke!!!!! They are awsome. And isnt a blaster a 2 stroke???? If so it would kill my 250ex and I have some mods on it. 2 strokes are so much more powerful. your friend must not know how to ride it or just has never rode a 250ex. They are fun and ride wheelies easier than any other quad I have driven. If I were you I would get the 300ex because it has all the qualities I would like and it still has reverse. Beginners should have reverse. But as soon as I get mine paid down I am getting a 400ex and am gonna mod the He!! out it.
And about reversing the tires, just switch the tires from left to right. rims and all. There is no need in breaking the bead just to change the thread pattern. LOL haha. that cracks me up. But who ever mentioned this, does this make any difference in performance, or just good looks?

Old 01-16-2002, 12:42 AM
Range Rover

Oh no, it looks like I needed to update my signature in my profile, I have had that stuff for awhile. OOPS

Old 01-16-2002, 11:21 AM
mrl
Weekend Warrior

Yeah, I already got my bike. I got it yesterday actually. After riding it for a couple hours yesterday at a local spot, I'm glad I went with the 250ex instead of something bigger. This bike is a blast, I don't care what anyone says about needing more power than the 250 can put out. That little bike hauls *** and seems to be able to handle just about anything. A couple buddies of mine (who ride a lot) and I were taking it up some steep hills and over some decent jumps. There were a couple hills I didn't think this bike could handle, but it took em like a mad man for 'just being the 250'. This bike is perfect for me. I figure maybe in a year or three, when I have some more cash, maybe I'll upgrade to a bigger quad, but for now, this bike is absolutely perfect.

Quick Reply: buying a 250ex on saturday