Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 02-13-2000, 04:15 PM
Pro Rider
Old 02-14-2000, 01:13 AM
Pro Rider

looks like i may hafta look more into the rancher!!! i really like the orange plastice they offer.
i really dont expect to keep right on the 600 and 500's tails just in sight. i am no speed deamon on a quad i like to poke around and go anywhere i want
is the esp better than the standard. i've heard that the warrenty is kinda complicated with the es models.....
are there as many aftermarket add-ons for the rancher?? like if for some odd reason i wanted to put 27 inch vamps on it is there a lift and motor mods for it? (i will not be doing this, just curious)
thanx again
cart

Old 02-14-2000, 01:45 AM
Trailblazer

The warranty is the same and not complicated. 6 months.

The Rancher will keep up with any other utility quad. (Keep in mind guys, the voluntary Federal restrictions on ATV's has expired and if you notice, the new Honda's are getting faster....)

I just put 26" Blackwaters on mine and it handles them great. I would like to try 27's just to see how they do. A lift kit is available from Highlifter (shipping Monday). They have a skid plate package too. Not engine mods yet. The Rancher motor is quite powerful anyway.

Old 02-14-2000, 01:13 PM
Trailblazer

ESP or not. Well, I have ESP and I can honestly say that anyone with it will tell you to get it, and anybody who doesn't will be split about 50/50 pro and con. I think that is pretty good testimony that 95% of everybody who has it loves it. I am about your size myself, actually a little bigger, and I like the size/feel of the Foremans. The ranchers feel smaller(dont'know if they actually are)and sportier. The ranchers don't feel as tankish either. I like the Tank feel myself. The Foreman also have more grit about them(more umph!). I was told there is not but 2 hp difference twix the Rancher and Foreman but you can feel it.

My vote....

Foreman:
slower more technical riding, utility work, over sizing and upgrading tires for massive mudding.

Rancher:
faster paced general trail riding and light to medium utility.

Old 02-14-2000, 01:17 PM
Trailblazer

duplicat post

Old 02-14-2000, 01:38 PM
Pro Rider

Cartman308,

You brought up something that hit home with me - the physical size of the quad, Size DOES matter!

I am of similar size 6' and 210 lbs. I have been using a 1987 Honda 350 4-Trax since it was new. It is too small! Don't get me wrong it is a very capable machine, just not built for real adults. Riding two-up (correct, we are not supposed to do this but we all do it from time to time) is not realistic unless the rider likes the feel of the rear rack. My slender 6 foot wife looks like an ape on a toy when she rides the Honda around.

In (very) recent years Honda has seen the light and has started increasing the size of the machines, but they have not gone far enough.

Two years ago we bought a Polaris Sportsman 500 to go along with the Honda. We will never look back. We have just ordered another Sportsman for my wife.

The Sportsman is built for real people to ride. It is sized right for me, can easily take a rider. It has the best ride in the industry with the independent suspension all around. The shaft drive and auto/tranny are trouble free. Polaris, and every snowmibile manufacturer on the planet, have been using the belt and clutch system in snowmobiles since the dawn of time. It is smooth and reliable. We have better things to do than shift all the time. Don't believe all the hocus pocus about belts slipping and such that is promoted by the gear crunchers. It is simply not true. The Polaris is way more capable than my Honda, in or out of the water. Some like to shift and some don't, the arguement is as simple as that. Both tranny setups are equally reliable. As far as Utility Quads go (my main use) it is some amazing machine. I tow a trailer full of firewood, a chain harrow, and a snowmobile trail grooming assembly with the Sportsman 500 and it hardly flinches. In two years there have been no repairs other than regular oil changes and chassis lubes. Very reliable.

I guess the point here is, don't rule out the Polaris Utility quads. In fact go out and test drive the Sportsman 500. We did and haven't looked back. It is a large, powerful, comfortable machine that doesn't leave me looking like an ape on a kids toy.

You mentioned your riding partner has a Scambler. Get his opinion on the auto-tranny. You will get an honest opinion from someone who rides one, not someone who speculates about them.

Thoughts?

DJ

Old 02-14-2000, 02:55 PM
Pro Rider

deej,
i have looked into the polaris'. i really like the sportsman 500. i spent the better part of the first week of rifle season toolin around on an sp335. that quad was nice but seriously underpowered for it's weight. the only drawback i have found to the polaris sp500 is the price. they run in the low to mid sixs. ouch. i may start buggin the polaris dealer to see if i can get one real cheap but i don't see that happenin...
i felt akward on the fourtrax 300 as stated earlyer, but pretty comfortable on the foreman450s. haven't looked at the rancher very closely yet...
thanx alot.
cart

Old 02-14-2000, 05:16 PM
Trailblazer

Size, The Rancher is identical in size to the Foremans. They have the same riding area in the "cockpit" I am 6'5" 250lbs and the Rancher is great. I think the Foreman would be a great choice if you want to put 28" tires on it, otherwise the Rancher is fine. I have pulled a 3400lbs boat with a trx300, it didn't like it but it pulled it, I can't see where a 450 will have much more capablity. As for the 2hp difference, I would hope there is more difference than that, but you may be right knowing Honda sometimes....