Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

426 Piston Install -HELP-

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2002, 01:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys...

I'm about to drop in my 426 piston... and reading the honda service manual- it says to coat the piston with a special type of lubricant.. I talked to my local honda shop- and he said don't use any lubricants- install it dry- and then crank the engine for about 5 seconds (with the switch OFF). He said the rings will seat much faster this way.

Has anyone ever done this? - or even heard about this?

Old 02-13-2002, 03:37 PM
Range Rover

big ring on bottom, chrome line up.......smaller ring on top.....and of course your oiling rings.....set your timing.....and as my dad says "dont screw it up son"

Old 02-13-2002, 10:49 PM
Pro Rider

I've heard of this on 2 strokes but never a 4. I always used oil. But if it works then you can't argue with success.

Old 02-14-2002, 11:45 AM
Pro Rider

A little coat of the engine oil works great so you can assemble things. I use oil on 2 strokes also, just makes it easier to put stuff together.

Old 02-14-2002, 05:18 PM
Pro Rider

I'll probly get flamed for saying this but you shouldn't use oil to put the top end back together on a 2 stroke. All the oil the engine needs is found in the gas. I've seen first hand how 2 stroke engines put together with oil dont last as long as 2 stroke engines put together without.

Old 02-14-2002, 07:27 PM
bob
Trailblazer

that ones new to me...
can anyone explain the dry 2 stroke assembly to me? why would it be better and what could possibly be hurt by assembling your 2strokes topend with a coat of oil?

Old 02-14-2002, 10:20 PM
Range Rover

i wouldnt use iol to put the rings on what you do is give the entire piston a light coat of fresh motor oil and then give the entire piston sleeve a coat of oil this is what the honda factory service manual says

Old 02-14-2002, 10:25 PM
Pro Rider

From my experience you get a lot more carbon build up when you assemble a 2 stroke engine wet. Considering that more oil is burnt then normal you'll get carbon. The rings don't last as long either. I can't explain exactly how this works but it's just from my own personal experiences. I've always used premixed gas to put it together ever since.

On a 4 stroke I put a light coat of oil on everything. Just enough to get everything to slide in there like it should.

Old 02-15-2002, 04:52 AM
Pro Rider

You assemble a motor with premix?? Really?
I use the oil from premix, and just a little to help things along. I'm not talking about dunking the whole thing in a barrel, ya know, but I would never do an engine assembly dry.
The oil used for assembly is mixed down and used up in just a few revs in a 2 stroke.

Old 02-15-2002, 10:06 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Brian,
I talked to a sprint car motor yesterday and he had never heard of this and obviously wouldn't suggest it in one of his motors. BUT, on a single cylinder, he thought this might be a neat trick that your honda service buddy has found. I wouldn't do it myself, unless I heard this same thing from three or four good racem otor builders, then I would probably try it. Just hearing it from one person, I don't think I would. Just because he works for Honda doesn't necessarily mean that he knows what he is doing. Don't get me wrong, he might be an incredible mechanic, who knows? I just think it is a risk that I wouldn't take on my race motor and know how much you have invested in this. Let someone else develope this technique and then try it when it is proven.

I can show you what a piston and rings look like when ran without oil for a short duration do to oil pump relief valve sticking open...it is sitting in my garage and happened when I blew a motor this year in GNCC, it isn't pretty.

Good Luck,
Nick

Quick Reply: 426 Piston Install -HELP-