Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

plastics for 400EX

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2002, 11:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you buy "one piece racing front fenders" for a 400EX, do the plastics replace the black side covers as well as the front plastics?? also, when you buy "one piece racing front fenders" for a 400EX, do you have to take off your headlights?? Lastly, if the "one piece racing front fenders" for a 400EX replace the black side covers and/or require you to take off the head lights, is there any way you can buy front plastics that do not replace the side covers and/or do not require you to take off your headlights, but still have the cut-off fenders in the front?? thanks a lot!!!!

Old 03-13-2002, 11:10 PM
Trailblazer

Sound like you'd be better of just cutting the stock ones. The Meier Plastic that I have seen does replace the side pieces and no room for the stock headlights, but that doesn't mean that their isn't some out there.

Old 03-13-2002, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider

i don't know the answers to all your questions but i'll answer what i can.

yes it removes the headlights and the headlight assembly.

as for buying non racing fronts, yes you can buy those but you'll have to trim the fenders yourself. its not hard at all. i wouldn't buy maier unless you really want a different color. you can get stock plastic for like 58 bucks from service honda and its better than maier. just cut it yourself. if you do want maier tho they do make a standard fender that takes the headlights. but once again you'll have to cut the fenders yourself.

Old 03-13-2002, 11:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

you guys know your $hit. y'all answered my question. so if i wanted to cut the fenders, how could i do it nicely and evenly? what tool would you recommend?? thanks again. ride on.......

Old 03-14-2002, 12:36 AM
Trailblazer

When I do it I use a dry marker to do the lay out, then cut a little wide with a Jig saw(fine blade) then sand down to the mark. Be sure to look on the bottom side so you don't get in to the bracing...

You can check out some pic at my web site www.rocky-hill.net/mx

Good Luck...

Old 03-14-2002, 09:25 AM
Pro Rider

The best tool I've used for cutting the fenders is a small hand saw used to cut sheet rock. The blade is around 8" long. Not sure the exact name of it but it's teeth are pretty large. It cut the plastic perfectly!! Then I used some 80 grit sand paper to smooth the edges some and then some 400 grit, it looks like it came from the factory! The nice thing about a hand saw as compared to a power saw, I think you have alot more control with the hand saw. I drew a line with pencil first and measured and compared both sides, made sure it looked good and then started cutting, it was easy with that saw.

Old 03-15-2002, 02:21 AM
The Facility

I use black electical tape to mark where I want to cut my fenders. It makes it easier to move around while your looking at it.

Just do one side the way you like it to look and then sit on the quad and do the other side to match. It's easy to draw a line on one side the way you want it, but it's hard to draw the other side to match. the electrical tape works much better because it is flexible and can be moved around dozens of times.

A jig saw works best to cut the plastic, but I have also just ran through it with a die grinder and then sanded it till I got to the tape.