Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

What do you think the BEST is....

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2002, 08:49 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2fiftyx..dude ur funny...u acted all smart and inteligent by using all those formulas and then u go and ruin ur moment..haha....at least u got the ***** to admit to it..dude torque spinzem'....not hp.

Old 03-20-2002, 09:09 PM
Pro Rider

AlexBW22, funny? funny how? Am I funny like a clown? Am I here for Fu#$ amusement?!

Yeah I had it wrong but I knew that HP is not a measure of speed, and Torque wasn't a measure of how much you can pull. HP is a measure of torque and rpm's, and torque is a measurement of force. It kind of depends on how you look at it. Torque is the force that spins your tires though.

I think I explained it very well in my last post and I think it will help dispell alot of what people think about engines.

And if there's something wrong in it then F off, just kinding post it and let me know.

Old 03-21-2002, 05:08 AM
Trailblazer

Actually, the reason diesels produce more torque has nothing to do with increased stroke but rather the fact that diesel fuel contains more energy than gasoline and tends to burn over a longer duration than gasoline, therefore it produces more force against the piston for a longer period of time, hence more torque on the crankshaft. Another reason is that most newer turbodiesels run somewhere around 20-25 psi of boost which would destroy a gas engine running pump gas.

Torque measures the amount of force the engine is putting out. Horsepower measures how quickly the engine can put out that force. If you want to go fast you need more horsepower and proper gearing. If you want easy pulling then you need lots of torque. The smaller a engine is for a given horsepower the narrower it's powerband is, generally speaking.

Old 03-21-2002, 12:02 PM
Pro Rider

Well, I think I should just stop cuz' I am not a "professional" small engine builder. After thinking about what I posted about the rod and crank I realized I was off. I'm not sure if the rod is longer or not but what helps create more torque is how far away from the center of the crank that the rod is attached.

I wish Knutz, Raptor720, Knowsalot, or one of the other pros could help with this. We need a post "Small Engine Physics 101".

Hunter32, you may be right on about the diesel fuel but I think it does have more to do with torque from the stroke from this article that I read:
"Your 11 liter diesel engine has a long stroke. That means that the piston is traveling a relatively long distance up and down in its cylinder on each cycle. A racing engine, on the other hand, has a short stroke. The piston in a racing engine has a large diameter for the engine size, and it goes up and down a relatively short distance on each cycle. This means that a race car engine can run much faster -- up to 15,000 RPM in a Champ Car engine -- but has relatively little torque. A large diesel engine usually cannot get above 2,000 RPM, but has huge torque because of the long stroke. The torque is what lets your engine pull a huge load up a hill."

Old 03-21-2002, 04:05 PM
Range Rover

yes...do a favor for us all and don't talk anymore..thanks alot

Old 03-21-2002, 05:15 PM
Pro Rider

Oh, I'm sooo sorry 300exlittleman, ignorance is bliss for you, isn't it? Hey, just don't read any of my posts so you can remain the 300exlittlebrain you are.

Old 03-21-2002, 08:58 PM
Range Rover

How old are?

Old 03-21-2002, 09:04 PM
Pro Rider

Ladies play nice. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 03-21-2002, 09:06 PM
Range Rover

he's acting like a girl

Old 03-21-2002, 10:13 PM
Pro Rider

I hadn't looked back at this topic since my first post, and I come back to find nothing about exhaust systems. Anyway, 2fiftyX, what's going on in you life to make you snap on somebody for making a simple misteak? Not trying to prolong a flame, i'm just wondering why?

Quick Reply: What do you think the BEST is....