Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Youth Riders

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2002, 10:03 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the younger people catch alot of flack because... They should. The reason kids cannot buy quad is(drum roll please?) They can't afford it! Do you honestly think a Honda/Yamaha/Whatever shop COULD even if they WOULD finance a $5000 machine to a 13 year old?

If you want to know the real reason why younger kids shouldn't be allowed to ride "adult" quads is because of.. Bad Judgment!

An every day occurence: 3 weeks ago, right across from my grandmother's house, a kid was jumping his Honda TRX300. He had a helmet on, and wasn't going fast or high. As all of you know, courage comes with experience. He took a short break, and took his helmet off. He neglected to put it back on. About 5 minutes later, the Honda was laying on top of him. He died last Thursday.

Then, there has to be an exception to the rule. Cody Miller is 13 or 14 years old, and races TQRA Pro Class. He has beaten his brother Hunter, and I have seen Hunter hang turn for turn with Johnny Hale. He is much faster than I am, with a $15,000 250R.

Old 03-29-2002, 12:02 PM
Pro Rider

Well first of all i have a 300ex and im 14 and it fits me just right, im 5'10 150 so do you really think i could ride on a 90cc quad? The other thing is NEVER RIDE WITOUT A HELMET, ecspically jumping it. I moarn for this kid but you just cant ride without a helmet.

Old 03-29-2002, 12:05 PM
Pro Rider

Oh ya and yes a kid can buy a quad by himself but it has to be 90cc's if your 16 under. COULD YOU IMAGINE FINANCING A 16 YEAR OLD FOR A QUAD. We might even be better drivers then our elders because we know what and what not to do.

Old 03-29-2002, 06:53 PM
Pro Rider

"I think the younger people catch alot of flack because... They should. The reason kids cannot buy quad is(drum roll please?) They can't afford it! Do you honestly think a Honda/Yamaha/Whatever shop COULD even if they WOULD finance a $5000 machine to a 13 year old?"

Not everyone finances. I know I would not do that (on a quad). Some people actualy save money for expensive things they want [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 03-29-2002, 08:22 PM
Trailblazer

i am 13 years old and i have an 02 warrior that machine fits me perfect but i dont do alot of jumping or mx and my parents wont let me ride with out all my gear on

Old 03-29-2002, 09:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey i ma 12 years old and i have a trx90 but i am gettin a blaster. i ALWAYS ride with a helmet on. i dont go through peoples property either. it's NOt all ''kids'' that is giving atvers a bad reputation.

Old 03-29-2002, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider

Hey andrew200 how well does your trx90 fit you cause a blaster would be much safer. How do people get the idea that every child under 16 is 5ft and 100 pounds, there is no way anybody over 5ft could fit on a 90.

Old 03-29-2002, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider

Just my $.02 ......

people blame things or tend to look down on younger people in many aspects, not just quads.... if you are a just-got-your-license 15 yr old driving around your moms car and some old guy pulls out in front of you and there is an accident, id put money to bet that when a cop pulls up he already has a pre-definition that it is the kid's fault. in a way its stereotyping. everyday you hear about the faults, problems, general recklessness of young people. alot of people dont realise that kids learn by example, and that alot of the problems can be traced back to older people. not bashing anyone , just saying that we really shouldnt seem surprised by this, i am myself am not a kid or an adult really ( im only 20 ) , but ive done my fair share of dumb stuff and then turned right around and been one of the most respectful people, just the way it is maybe...???? oh yeah one more thing, i didnt start riding quads til i was 16, so i was never victimized by the age restriction thing but i do think that these age restrictions are a necessary evil... my thought is like this, is a 90cc quad too little for a 5'5" 140 lb 15 year old kid? Absolutely! is that kid responsible enough to drive it? who knows? why cant you drive until you are 15? , its not because you arent physically able to, most kids arent responsible enough to do it, i think its the same kind of thing. you can get hurt if you are riding a 90cc quad WOT, but imagine the 15 year old on a banshee or a 250r in the same accident, safety gear aside, it doesnt make sense to let people who arent responsible enough get on them, now i am not talking about the people that were born and raised on quads, several of really good friends have, are there alot of kids that ARE responsible enough to ride them, but the majority arent. people that are raised and have good safety values instilled them tend to reflect that, my parents taught me to drive when i was very young. the result? never a ticket, never a wreck, never even a fairly close call, not too many people can say that. just my ideas, open to debate!

Old 03-30-2002, 12:48 AM
Pro Rider

I'll put it this way as a defense for the adult side. When I was 12, I knew I could drive a truck, and I did drive my dad's 5 speed 4x4 trucks off-road. Now, that I have a car, would I trust a 12 year old at the wheel? No way! The thing is, in retrspect, it's easy to forget what it was like being younger. It seems like the general adult public in america see's younger people as having no self control and mental consousness untill the age of 16 or so.

Old 03-30-2002, 01:35 AM
The Facility

The truth of the matter is that the younger group who complain that a 90cc quad doesn't "fit" them are really complaining about the engine size and NOT the actual size of the machine itself.

No one really complained about it until quads started getting bigger physically, and NOT by engine size.

If these younger group of riders were around when the biggest ATV available was the Honda ATC200, there would be no complaining.

I am not for over zealous goverment regualtion, BUT I along with nearly every faucet of professionals within the industry supports the age restrictions guidelines set forth by the CPSC. The manufacturer's ARE sarting to build physically bigger ATV's for the younger group to cater to the need of the "bigger" kids. Is 35mph not fast enough?? Or is it top speed you want??

It's the engine and not the size of the machine that causes these debates. The requests come from those who are below the limit. It's like a kid wanting a state to change the legal age limit to get a driver's license to 13. It's not going to happen.

These regulations expired 2 years ago. The manufacturers and dealers continue to follow it. Don't expect anything to change.

Quick Reply: Youth Riders