Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

When buying a new Crank...

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2002, 12:55 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was reading the ads in Dirtwheels, some places have ATC250R cranks listed for under $300, do they come with the Rod also? I ask this because one ad said something like, "complete kit, ready to go" and showed a picture of the Rod with it. Thanks for the help in advance.

Old 04-01-2002, 01:33 AM
Pro Rider

You can get new cranks for your machine from calatv.com for $250, these are new factory honda cranks according to the guy I talked to. That is very reasonable. I just purchased a Weisco new crank for mine for about $10 more. I went with this because it has the longer connecting rod and I am going to build a 350 out of mine, so I thought it would be the better solution. You can also have your crank rebuilt if it hasn't spun inside the bearings. You may even be able to get it rebuilt if that is the case, I'm not sure how it would be done. All new cranks come with the rod for this machine, as it is not something your average joe is going to throw together in the garage.

Old 04-01-2002, 01:50 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks, you've been very helpful. The crank hasn't "gone" yet, but with the motor never being opened up until I did, and the lower rod bearing shot, it would be a good idea to do it all at once. How involved is splitting the cases and installing something like this? Someone on this forumt old me I could do most of the work myself witht he help of a Clymer manual and mechanical know-how. Anyone ever do this that wants to share?

Old 04-01-2002, 08:45 AM
Pro Rider

I would not recomend doing this your self ..you need to get things like end play set correctly or you will be tearing it down again ..have a good shop do it for you

Old 04-01-2002, 10:05 AM
Pro Rider

Splitting the cases on a 250R is quite simple but you'll need the proper tools and definitely a manual such as Clymer, although the Honda service manual is much better, before you start tearing apart things. I just had my R motor gone through, I was charged $150 to split the cases and labor to install a new crank, seals and bearings, very reasonable price I thought. You can buy new Honda cranks with the rods for around $220, look at all the ads in a current DirtWheels magazine and compare prices.

Old 04-01-2002, 01:33 PM
Pro Rider

Did you just have a local Dealer do the work? My neighbors LT250 had a similar problem last year, and it took the Suzuki dealer a couple months to do the job. I was going to have my neighbor help me so I don't have to wait 2 months to get my motor back, he has been riding for over 40 years, and any time I can't fix something, he usually knows whats wrong with it and can do the job, so I trust he can do something like this. How much did you pay for your crank brinasgi, and where did you get it?

Old 04-01-2002, 02:13 PM
Pro Rider

Johnny Hale did my motor work for me, he lives right down the street. He charged me $240 for the new Honda crank. He's got his own shop now and is doing some of this on the side when he's not at the race track, check out his web site, it's just a small portion of the stuff he now sells:

http://www.j-hracing.com/

We ended up going completely through my motor, new crank, new ESR CR250 ignition, ESR 310 kit, ESR pipe and silencer, isotropic treatment to the gears, new clutch basket and clutch plates, rebuild counter balancer, V-force reeds, new 38mm Airstryker carb. It's a screamer now!!

Old 04-01-2002, 02:27 PM
Pro Rider

Wow that must be cool. Was the $240 a special price just for you, or does everybody who orders from him get that price? How long did it take for him to do the work? I don't want to ship it off somewhere, especially out of state, but all of the local mechanics who I, or someone I know has dealt with take 3 months to do work on your motor. I had to wait a week for my cylinder to get back when they said it would be done the next business day.

Old 04-01-2002, 02:37 PM
Pro Rider

I've bought alot of stuff from Johnny and he gives me some pretty good prices. Give him a call, his number is on his web site. Tell him Brian Smith told you about him. He's running the Nationals now since the Stadium Series races are over so he's got a little more time he can spend in the shop. The problem you're going to have is the cost of shipping the motor, probably kind of expensive to do. I'm looking at the current DW's and Planet Honda is selling new Honda cranks for $209.

Old 04-01-2002, 02:58 PM
Pro Rider

One last thing, will an 86 or 87 TRX crank fit the 85, 86 ATC? Planet Honda has the ATC crank advertised for $359, and the TRX for $209.

Quick Reply: When buying a new Crank...