Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Removing right case cover(250R)?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2002 | 05:41 PM
|
Pro Rider

OK thanks everyone for the help, it's much appreciated!

Old 04-16-2002 | 05:47 PM
Pro Rider

It's a 27mm. Beware of breaking your regular sockets in an impact wrench. I used a standard, non-hardened, socket when I took mine off with no probs. I have seen standard sockets explode when you use them in an impact wrench.

Old 04-16-2002 | 06:05 PM
|
Pro Rider

OK, thanks for the tip. I'll buy a Craftsman just to be safe, and since every other brand breaks that I own. Does anyone happen to know how much one would cost? Would it be possible to get the nut off without an impact wrench? I was thinking I could hold the sprocket with vise grips like someone else said, then get a pipe to put over the ratchet for leverage and try turning it like that. My manual should be here by now, haven't checked the mail today though, so you won't have to answer anymore dumb questions of mine.

Old 04-16-2002 | 08:53 PM
Pro Rider

You could probably do it that way. If your sprocket is already hatched it's worth a try. I bought a set of large metric deepwells from craftsman, and the 27 is the largest of them all. It's the same as the axle nut on my 426 so it sees a bit of use on that and suspension linkages. Sears might or might not replace it if you break it with an impact wrench. It's pretty apparent what happened when you break a regular socket with an impact wrench. I'd give the pipe and wrench combo a try, but you'll likely need to people to do it this way. It would have been a lot easier in the frame, as I learned when I did it.

Old 04-17-2002 | 01:28 AM
|
Pro Rider

I'm not worried about Sears replacing it, I just don't like cheap tools from Wal-Mart or K-Mart, they break too often when I use them. Should I just put the motor back in to remove the nut, is it really that much easier? Ahhh.... I can figure it out myself I guess, but thanks everyone, you've been very helpful.

Old 04-17-2002 | 01:17 PM
Pro Rider

No, don't put it back in. I was just saying next time you do it, leave it in the frame till you hae the sides off (clutch,flywheel,etc).

Old 04-17-2002 | 03:11 PM
Pro Rider

To keep the clutch from moving while trying to get the nut loose, use a penny!

Place a penny between the gears so that it will get stuck when you apply pressure. Since the penny is a softer material than the gears, it will not harm the gears at all. Destroys the penny, but it will only cost you one cent.

I use this method and it works great.

Old 04-17-2002 | 03:16 PM
|
Pro Rider

Thanks for the tip!

Old 04-17-2002 | 05:03 PM
Pro Rider

If you are wondering why your clutches had to be pryed apart, it is because you were running automotive oil. It has additives that help it stick to cylinder walls, cams, rockers and other fast moving parts. This causes your clutch plates to stick like glue. A friend had this same problem with a blaster. After a long argument, he finally used THE RIGHT OIL!!! He had no problems after that.

Old 04-17-2002 | 05:30 PM
|
Pro Rider

I see, so what brand oil do you recommend I use?

Quick Reply: Removing right case cover(250R)?