Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Do you actually listen to the warning labels on quads?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2002, 08:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you? I sure dont, if a 6 y/o can ride a banshee better than an adult, I rather see somebody experienced riding big quads. "Recommended for riders 16 years of age and older. " so who here thinks a 15 year old should ride a trx90? with 2" how do they expect for a 15 year old, let alone a 10 year old ride that, it has no power, when a 15 year old kid should ride a 250 he's stuck on a trx90, are these rules THE LAW? I think theyre dumb, its age discrimination, and it should be on SKILL and experience, nothing over 350cc 4-stroke unless youve ridden for 6 months, and you have permission from your parents. Travis Pastrana, a dirtbike racer, has been riding a 125 since he was 13, lots of people, 12 year old kids ride cannibals... i hate the warning labels. I dont double ride, never will, i dont like it, but if i see my friend stuck in a feild, sure i will, and i dont usually ride on the road, unless its for a purpose.

who agrees?

Old 04-10-2002, 08:32 PM
Pro Rider

If I am not mistaken, the warnings are not law anymore, i think they were put in effect and now they are an " advisory" to dealers/manufactures , i think, i could be very wrong i am not 100% forsure. i agree that the warnings are somewhat stretched, but i dont think its physical size, i think its maturity level. the MAJORITY ( this is a democracy we live in, thus the majority rules everything ) of children are not responsible/mature enough to get on a bike with some power until they have mature 15-17 yrs old. i think this is what the manufacturers are aiming for. JMO

Old 04-10-2002, 08:42 PM
Fez
Range Rover

Who cares, if politicians think that a sticker will save lives then so be it. Those goofy lookin things come right off when i buy a quad

Old 04-10-2002, 08:45 PM
Pro Rider

how do you get those damn things off and does it void the warranty?

Old 04-10-2002, 08:48 PM
Pro Rider

my experience is that a pressure washer , especially those from a car wash, will take those suckers right off. be careful tho if the quad isnt new i think it will leave a bright spot on the plastic where it isnt sun-faded. dunno bout the warranty, u never know these days

Old 04-11-2002, 02:18 AM
Trailblazer

The stickers have no force of law, they're strictly there to give the manufacturer protection from product liability. Taking them off does not void the warranty, unless you're going back to the dealer to get warranty service on the stickers that fell off. I agree that they're pretty silly. When I was 15 I was 6'2" and weighed 220. Can you have seen me trying to ride one of those 90cc kids sized bikes? Of course not, that would be stupid and maybe even dangerous given the gross size mismatch. Most kids I've seen outgrow one of those midget quads around the age of ten, that's when they need to step up to full sized ones.

What the manufacturers recommend in order to avoid being sued isn't necessarilary the best or safest thing to do for yourself.

Old 04-11-2002, 09:28 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree completely,

The warning labels are a carryover from the 70's lawsuits on injuries from the "killer" 3 wheel ATVs,people with poor riding skills and good lawyers caused problems that followed the industry for decades,and why many of them dropped their performance lines. Even today,no dealer will sell you a quad over 90cc if you tell them,"it's for my 10 year old kid",but the same dealer won't bat an eye if you buy a full race 80cc dirt bike,capable of speeds that would scare some adults, or a 700 cc triple cylinder snow mobile able to do 115 mph across a frozen lake,and tell them junior will be the primary driver.They have safety course for snowmobiles that let children legally ride these huge,dangerous machines,but they are restricted to the equivilent of a scooter on 4 wheels until they are 16 ? We need to give the lawyers a rest.Yes, no matter what we do,people will continue to get hurt,and God forbid,killed
mostly as a result of poor judgement and riding skills. What can we do? Make sure your kids are well protected,well educated,and supervised at all times,get involved with groups working to improve our sport's image and public acceptance so we are not seen as the 'rapers' of nature that many portray us to be. Contact lawmakers in your area and see where they stand,to see if reelecting them will help or hinder our progress,and act accordingly.Most of all,make sure you yourself project the image we all want the public to see- just someone who enjoys the outdoors,and shares the respect and admiration of nature that I share with my son and others I ride with.
Sorry for the long winded post,just had to get it off my chest,and now I feel a lot better !!!

Old 04-11-2002, 09:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

Those stickers on the Rubi are hard plastic and are rivited to the fenders. They are also
recesed into the plastic to removing them leaves an indent in the yellow hide of my machine.
Would look funny. Lawyers...can't live with them, can't live without them...

Old 04-11-2002, 01:19 PM
Pro Rider

Get the Carbon Fiber plates that replace the warnings. They look really cool. Just pop off the rivets and rivet the new ones on.

Old 04-11-2002, 07:27 PM
Range Rover

Do you know of any websites for them??

Quick Reply: Do you actually listen to the warning labels on quads?