Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Which 250R frame is best?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2002, 02:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

April '01 DW has a shooutout between Arens and LoneStar frame. The Arens was the winner and I think it might have been cheaper also. I too would go with the LRD aluminim frame though, get it anodized whatever color you like, and have the trickest frame at the track.

Old 04-14-2002, 04:21 PM
Trailblazer

i've heard that lonestar has been having trouble with breakage, especially their swingarms,, is this tru?

Old 04-14-2002, 04:31 PM
Pro Rider

I've read of alot of people breaking the LSR frames by the footpegs. I haven't heard anything about the swingarms though. I'm sure most will agree when I say that LoneStar are "bottom of the line" when it comes to aftermarket chassis parts.

Old 04-14-2002, 05:41 PM
Range Rover

It's sounding like the new Aluminum frame is the way to go, plus it'll make up for the added weight of the 4 stroke, I'm just worried about breaking it.
Ok answer this for me, if you had a crf 450 motor, what would you do to build a complete quad?

Old 04-14-2002, 05:56 PM
Pro Rider

Lonestar updated their frame last year, I'm not familiar with the probs mentioned because I don't have one. Lonestar does make a frame for the YZ426 motor that I belive is based on their 400ex chassis. As far as the motor goes, the YZ makes more power than the crf in stock form. As far as having the motor, all you have to do is come of with about another 10-12 grand for the complete chassis,plastic,etc if you want new. A custom exhaust system will be in order and whatever tinkering you have to do to make the intake match up with the different carb/motor combination. You will also have to adapt the wiring harness from the motorcycle to the quad if you want to maintain the advantages of the TPS carb and 3D mapped ignition which is standard on these motorcycles. If you use a 426 motor, make sure there is room in the frame to get the valve cover off, or you'll have a real bad time adjusting the valves which is a pain the backside on this motor. I would advise the use of priemium clutch components from the supplier of your choice, as the extra traction afforded by two wide tires as opposed to one skinny one places a lot more strain on the drive components. You will also need an external oil tank if you use the 426 unless you convert it to a dry sump(available from Doug Dubach Racing). Make sure that you understand that you need to change the oil very frequently on these motors. The 450 might require less oil changing, as the motor oil is separate from the clutch, but it doesn't hold very much oil.

Old 04-14-2002, 06:13 PM
Pro Rider

Are you sellin' the DS? Why don't you just buy a C-dale Moto? Thats what I would do, you get power, EFI, & Aluminum Frame.

Old 04-14-2002, 07:45 PM
Pro Rider

I thought I mentioned that already, must have hit cancel instead of reply. If you consider the Moto, you would pay less and still have a very competitive machine.

Old 04-14-2002, 08:27 PM
Pro Rider

Hey DS, Would you mind maybe if Dirtbikes came up there and rode??? My buddy has a YZ426 and loves to race. Think he could ride up there? ? maybe he will let you ride it so you know how the power is too.. LAter

Old 04-15-2002, 11:33 AM
Trailblazer

I would stick the 450 in the new LRD frame, they should make them to fit that motor. The LRD frame looks and sounds awesome. I have heard it is hard to get a Walsh frame because he only builds a couple a year, and some of them are for him self. I could be mistaken, he may have a bigger inventory now and expanded his production. Go with the LRD man, be ahead of the game.

Old 04-15-2002, 01:37 PM
Trailblazer

if you want to run a yzf426, get an aftermarket 400ex frame. i have a buddy that custom fabricates engine mounts just for the 426 for the ex frame. he was in a couple magizines for it. if you want to go that route let me know and i can get ahold of him for ya. he hasnt had a problem with them yet and has been running this setup for a year now, mostly motocross.

Quick Reply: Which 250R frame is best?