Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

LRD Performance for R Rebuild...NEED HELP???

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2002, 10:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, i haven't been in the forums for a while, first because i picked up an R, then because the motor melted down.

Anyway, i'm moving along fine with the rebuild process, but have a few questions. I am debating weather on to send my cylinder to LRD performance to have the crank trued and redone, have a new rod pressed on, get the cylinder bored, and possibly ported.

Anyone ever delt with or know anyone that has done business with the motor shop at LRD?

I need a new piston and rod. I have heard that Nikx Pro-X are the best and most reliable? what's everyone's view on this?

Any Ideas about LRD, or suggestions where else i could go?

ANY help would be great!!!

Old 04-24-2002, 10:26 AM
Pro Rider

NOT A SINGLE PERSON ON THIS BOARD HAS EVER DELT WITH LRD???

Old 04-24-2002, 12:15 PM
Pro Rider

If they're good enough for defending 2-time GNCC champ Bill Ballance, then they're probably good enough for you.

I personally don't have never sent anything to them. Don't know how they are to deal with. A friend has their adjustable pipe on his R, and it is a "good" pipe. It does leak where two halves meet though. I wouldn't recommend their pipe.

I would look into have Eddie Sanders do your work for ya. Eddie Sanders Racing

Old 04-24-2002, 07:11 PM
Trailblazer

I talked with Pro Am racer Nate Freese on Saturday night at a race. He races all LRD, i believe that it was his dad i was talking to along with nate, they say LRD is the best engine builder in the business. Nate is leading the points in the Pro Am Open class with a LRD 350 powervalve, he is also in second in points in the Pro Am 250 class. I would trust their work if these guys race them. Freese claims that LRD 350 powervalve is better than Duncan's and everyone else's out there!! Go for it!!

BigDogX

Old 04-24-2002, 07:46 PM
Pro Rider

Another good motor builder for the 250R is MP Racing.
The owner is extremely knowledgable on 250R's.
I had him do my motorwork for me, my friend, and my girlfriends 250R.
You can check out his website at

www.motomallusa.com

Old 04-24-2002, 10:26 PM
Pro Rider

LRD is an excellent builder, do not hesitate to do business with them. I sent my R motor to them last year for the 350PV upgrade along with total lower end recondition and the 15 plate clutch upgrade. This motor is an animal, very very strong. It's expensive but I'd do it again, go for it!!!

Old 04-24-2002, 10:42 PM
Trailblazer

LRD is a first class operation. They will spend the time talking with you to determine what you need and they will build you an engine that way. If you have any tech questions after you recieve the engine/cylinder they are more than happy to help.

As far as the rod goes , you just can't beat a stock Honda crank/rod assembly for reliability.

LRD not only builds engines for Bill Ballance , they built engines for Barry Hawk , The 7 time GNCC PRO ATV champion until he retired from quads in 1999. So LRD has a good reputation and you don't win 9 consecutive championships without building a great product.

As far as the LRD adjustable pipe goes . The tabs that hold the pipe together have been known to break off when you try to adjust the pipe.In my experience , if you loosen ALL of the mounting brackets the tabs will not break. And as far as the pipe leaking where it joins , it doesn't leak any worse than the joint at the silencer. If you take your time and silicone the pipe properly before you install it , the pipe will not leak.
I have installed 3 of there pipes and I had to take 1 back off to reseal it , but none of them leak now.

There are other great engine builders out there, before you spend your hard earned money call a few of them and see what they have to say. I have heard a lot of good things about ESR and Duncan racing. I don't have any experience with either of them though.

Old 04-25-2002, 12:17 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what are you having done? replacing your crank right? are you doing any work yourself? if you want it ported and suped up to out run everybody dont send it to local honda. lrd is great engine builder if your going sand drags some other places are better.

Old 04-25-2002, 02:15 AM
Pro Rider

I had a friend come all the way from Texas to ride with me at Glamis one New Years a few years ago. He had an LRD 330. It broke the first day here. My friend took out his cell phone and managed to get ahold of LRD in Oregon and talked to them for several minutes.
When he got home, he pulled the engine and sent it to them. It came back a few weeks later, no postage due, and the engine was entirely new.

That, mi amigos, is SERVICE!

Old 04-25-2002, 07:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that cool of them , what was wrong? hope he had backup ride.