Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Will the 20lbs. make a big difference? (Dirt Bike Question)

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2002 | 02:30 PM
|
Pro Rider

Hey Guys,

I don't know of any good dirt bike forums so I figured I'd ask this here.

I have a chance to sell one of my many toys and if I do that would bring up the oppertunity to get something different. The "Boss" (my woman) has made it clear that I cannot get a Motorcycle (and that is probably a good idea), so I figured that I would probably get a Dirt Bike.

On to the question...I am debating on which size to get (125 or 250). I am not concerned about having "too much power", I am mainly concerned about the weight difference because I'm not a huge guy (only about 155lbs or so). I checked Honda's website and there is a 20lb. difference in dry weights between those two bikes. I have owned a 125 before and it seemed to be sufficient power wise, but I was talking to a veteran of the sport and he switched over from 125 to 250 a couple of years ago and said he would never go back.

So basically my question is...Do you guys that have experience on both bikes like the 125 or the 250 better? I can't see how the 20lbs. can make a whole lot of difference manuverability wise, but I have never been on one. Like I said, when I had my 125 it "seemed" powerful enough, but I don't want to get left behind on the track.

Since I have been away from bikes for a while now the smart thing may be to buy a 125 and then get good on that and then move to the 250, BUT there is one problem. Bikes depreciate in value very fast...If I buy a new 125 and then decide I want a 250 in a couple of years I will have to shell out quite a bit of cash when trading up. Unfortunatly I don't forsee myself winning the lottery, and with a new house on the way I am sort of strapped for cash.

Just looking for opinions on what you would do in my situation.

I appreciate the help.

-Josh

Old 05-01-2002 | 03:26 PM
Pro Rider

the 250 fell's kinda like a 125 in turns I can hardly notice the extra pounds because of the power differance.
Unless you really want a 2 stroke I would get a CRF450F. Rode one of them and they are sweet.

Old 05-01-2002 | 04:23 PM
Pro Rider

I would go with the 250, mainly because for me, a 125 is unnderpowered. 2 years ago I wanted a dirtbike, but couldn't decide between a 125 or 250. After going to a race and riding a friends friends CR125, I decided that the 250 was right for me. The 20 lbs. will not make a difference unless you are so used to a 125's wieght that you can actually feel the difference. Going from a quad to a dirtbike, any one of them will be light feeling anyway. Good luck!

Old 05-01-2002 | 04:31 PM
Pro Rider

What model year are you talking about?? The new 125's are as powerful as the older 250's were!!

Old 05-01-2002 | 05:27 PM
Pro Rider

He said something about Honda's website and it's in the Honda forum, so obviously a CR, DUHH. just kidding.

Old 05-01-2002 | 05:37 PM
|
Pro Rider

Yes, I'm referring to a 99 or newer CR.

Thanks for the posts guys. I'm leaning towards the 250 if I am to get one.

Take care.

-Josh

Old 05-02-2002 | 12:53 AM
Pro Rider

my neighbor has a yz 125 and his dad rides a cr250 and ive ridden them both....that 250 has power up the a$$ in every gear...you would be amased by how much more power the 250's have over the 125's...for me i would personally get a 125 they are plenty powerful for any kind of riding but if i were older than 15 and heavier then 150 and had more skill at mx than i do now i might consider a 250 but unless you have been riding for a number of years the 125 will do fine

Old 05-02-2002 | 01:09 AM
Pro Rider

I'm not any good on dirt bikes so if I were to get one, it would be a 125. You said that "to much power" isn't a problem for you, so go w/ the 250. The 20 lbs weight difference probably won't affect you to much unless (like ltracerx said) you are a really good rider and you can really tell a difference. You said it's been a while for you, so you will get used to the extra weight at the same time that you get used to riding again. Just my opinion

Old 05-02-2002 | 01:51 AM
|
Pro Rider

Thanks for the comments guys.

I think that I would be happy on a 125 for sure if I was going to be riding alone. However, I will be riding with other guys (some on 250's) so I know that one I test drive one of them I'm going to want it.

The power doesn't really concern me too much...I think I can handle most anything out there. That is probably true with everybody else too if they know how to use their head. The only thing that really concerned me was the weight difference and how it would affect handling and jumping, and etc. , but from what you guys are saying there isn't a huge difference between the two, and trust me...I am not pro rider so I won't be able to tell anything if there isn't an obvious difference.

Yes, it has been a while since I have been on a bike. It's going to take some time to get back into it...that is mainly why I was considering a 125. I have a funny feeling I would be kicking myself in a few months if I passed up a 250 though.

Thanks again.

-Josh

Old 05-02-2002 | 09:22 AM
Elite Pro Rider

As YZGUY posted

<< What model year are you talking about?? The new 125's are as powerful as the older 250's were!! >>

Thats right....the new 125's run like the old 250's....with a little less low end torque.
At your weight....I would seriously consider a 125. But, you can never have enough power, so get the 250. The 250 will trail ride better as well.....just give 'er about half throttle and chug along 2 gears high!
Yes, 20 pounds is a ton of weight on dirt bikes. You are just stepping back in, so the weight should'nt make a big difference.
Also, I would definately get the 2-stroke. The new thumpers (although fast) are gonna take as much maintenance, harder to work on, slightly heavier, and are louder that the 2 stroke.

Quick Reply: Will the 20lbs. make a big difference? (Dirt Bike Question)