Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400ex vs. 500 scrambler

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2002, 12:58 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you 3TV, well said. That is what I was trying to say mentioned above earlier. lol... beaten so bad, it was embarassing. lol... Once again, very well said. The truth shall set you free.

Fourtracker14

Old 05-08-2002, 01:10 AM
Pro Rider

*i stand corrected*

Old 05-08-2002, 10:06 AM
Pro Rider

<< When it comes to drag racing or fast trail riding the Scrambler cannot keep up, and its not even close either. >>

Depending on what your deffination of &quot;drag racing&quot; is, I may have to disagree. As I said before, when my Sport was stock I could take my buddies 2001 Banshee (stock except for a K&amp;N) in a drag race at least 100 yards.

Now if we raced all the way through top end he would beat me, or if we did a rolling start at like 30mph it would be even for a second and then when the powerband kicked in on the banshee he was gone.

I have never drag raced my Banshee or seen him drag race his Banshee against a 400ex, but from what I read on here the Banshee is usually out front...again, this also gets back to what you mean by &quot;drag racing&quot; (distance, and any other little rules).

Regardless, I am going to have to agree for the most part...The Polaris 500 is not a drag bike and never will be. The suspension is good to a point, but when traveling fast over rough terrain, or jumping it just doesn't hold up.

The truth is that the 400ex is the superior pure sport bike in stock form. I don't think anybody will question that, even the Polaris owners.

However, in my opinion the Polaris 400 is the better TRAIL bike for the AVERAGE rider who likes to go FAST in a STRAIGHT LINE. Check out www.hpd-inc.com for the go fast parts that you can get for it.

As for the Polaris 500....it does okay in stock form, and it is faster than a lot of other &quot;sport&quot; quads, but you will find yourself behind the big boys pretty fast. However, it will still outperform them in the rough stuff.

Canadianmudrunner, you still have not said what type of riding you will be doing.

-Josh

Old 05-08-2002, 04:36 PM
Range Rover
Scared to death of girls!

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

This is a true story of a stock Scrambler 400x smoking a Honda 400ex, and a Banshee.

We were at a riding place back in the winter. There was about six inches of snow that was crusted over by ice. I had my Scrambler, (now my son's) there was another guy with a brand new 400ex and a guy with an older Banshee. They were unable to go more than a short distance before getting stuck. They were contemplating going home. I offered to ride through the whole park making trails. So here I am on my &quot;junky, heavy, slow, ill-handling&quot; Scrambler with two machines that the speed demons prattle on endlessly about.

I like my machine, alot as a matter of fact. It's not a true sport quad. So what? It rides great. It's plenty fast. And I've been able to ride it anywhere I want. It requires more maintainence, but it offers more too.

You keep your foreign made quads, I'm sure the Japanese economy loves you. I'll stick with my good ole reliable American quad. It's not perfect, close enough for me.

Old 05-08-2002, 07:58 PM
Pro Rider

Well see it all depends.....They(scrambler) got a lot of power and nice soft suspension so if your not planning on getting to much air or going too fast through whoops it should be ok.....Sometimes i have more fun of a recon than a blaster when im not looking to go FULL out.....but on the other hand a guy i ride with on a 2000 polaris 400 4x4 cant keep up with me (blaster)on the trails or in the sand whoops around my house...so you gotta see whats best for ya!!