Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Question for the 300EX MX racers

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2002, 08:39 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hay guys.

I have a lakota that I built pretty good and do alot of XC, were it has plenty of power and speed to realy shine.

We have the fortune this year of watching my son have a steller year as a MX rider on bikes. So we sat down last weekend and decided that in our best interest we should all lay down are ego's and get behind the boy and see how his season will play out.

But now sense we will be at the MX track every week, well we mine as well race, rite. So my question is how have you guys been stacking up against the big bore quads. Have you been able to keep up or do they leave you in the dust.

I practice MX 2 to 3 times a week and pretty much do ok, just no quads realy show up to see how I run against them, but when the big bores come along they usualy have in experienced riders on them and that isn't a real good measuring stick.

I know you big bore guys are going to say, get a big bore. Well we already own are machines wich are pretty succesfull in XC, just mine as well do a lil racing while riding on the boys coat tails.

Old 05-12-2002, 01:57 PM
Pro Rider

i cant asnwer to many questions but i know a guy that will answer everything on the smaller bore quads. go to atver14's website and signhis guestbook then ask him some questions.

Old 05-12-2002, 03:51 PM
The Facility

Hey Gaff,

Back in '98 I raced a 300EX in the fourstroke class at a local MX track near here and when the 400EX came on the scene that summer, everyone was bummed out being uncompetive with them on the track.

That wasn't the case. A 400EX didn't win there until almost two years later, and it was one of those $15G quads.

Unless the track has got some long straightaways, I don't see where a big bore would have an advantage over a 300EX. Especially when you add +2 Arms and an axle.

The most dominant guy at that track still races there occassionaly and it's a 300EX with hardly any mods other than chassis changes.

Old 05-12-2002, 04:36 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks alot knowsalot, just curious, not going to stop me in any way.

Just sitting here at work and thought some one would give me some insight while I was thinking about it.

Old 05-12-2002, 04:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Gaff, while your at work check out my post ''Wipeout''. Didnt you say you had one not too long ago?

Old 05-15-2002, 06:51 PM
Pro Rider

In my area we have different classes to make it fair. Blasters and 300EX's race together while 400EX's Banshee's and 250R's race in a differnt class then the 300's.

Old 05-15-2002, 07:39 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Gaff,
I used to race a 300ex and when I raced a beginner class, I was able to out run some 400ex's and what not, and I really wasn't near as fast as I am now... and the sad thing is, I'm not very fast right now. You should be able to do pretty decent on a 300ex but it's lack of power in stock form does become noticeable on the track. For instance, there was a step up at Fourstates MX that I over jumped on my Dale and I could barely land on top of it w/ my 300ex. Then again, I did have a longer run at the jump when I was on the Dale due to a change in track design, and the Dale doesn't have anything in common w/ the 300 other than 4 wheels. Just get out there and give it hell... you'll literally have to, to make some of the jumps [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img].

Old 05-15-2002, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

I go out to this track about 6 times a month to practice. Realy don't have any problems with the jumps and that, but I am set up for XC.

I run out there to stay in shape for XC and my boy races there. I have no quads out there when I'm there to judge my self, but I was just wondering.

Or maybe you would let me borrow the dale for the weekend yodaddy.....yah thats the ticket

Old 05-15-2002, 11:21 PM
Pro Rider

I'll pack it up and send it your way Gaff.

Old 05-15-2002, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider

Hmmmm.... you know, I really would... honestly I would, but DANG thats a long drive [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]. When are you gonna come up here and ride? I'll let you take the dale for a spin... maybe even on the track, as long as you don't get to wild on it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img], or if you go by the "golden rule": If you break it, you replace it w/ a much better aftermarket part. So uh... if you ride it, go ahead and feel free to bend the a-arms, blow out the shocks, and break the axle. I need some Walsh a-arms, Elkas, and a RPM +4 axle [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Question for the 300EX MX racers