Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

ATC 250r Conversion help?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2002, 08:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy a 250R rolling chassis.....slap the motor in there, throw away that big red frame and BLAMO! you have a safe ride...not hacked together poor handling triquad.

Old 05-16-2002, 01:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

know of any good places online to get the parts id need? Im in Yuma Az not much here for cheap parts. Well, not that they need to be cheap, but at least not overproced by a couple hundred dollars. Thanks.

Old 05-16-2002, 12:13 PM
Pro Rider

Nacarls, I think you are confused somewhere, how can you have documentation that says Big Red 250R, this machine never exisited. Even if it was an 82 Big Red frame with a 250r engine where did the rear suspension come from. The 82 Big Red had no rear suspension and no front suspension either. The front suspension on the Big red was introduced in the 83 model and was a very cheap with like 4 inches of travel. The Big read was a big heavy utiliy trike with racks, not a machine anyone in their right mind would drop a 250r engine into. Not only that the expansion chamber would be hard to mount.

As for the conversion, don't do it, it looks sad. Actually someone is selling one on e-bay right now, take a look if you dare, it's really sad.

The worst part about it is that the person is seeling it as a trx250r, I feel sorry for the sucker how buys it.

Picture of Conversion

Old 05-16-2002, 02:51 PM
Pro Rider

I almost cried when I saw that scrap heap. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Buy it now for $2500......who could be that stupid? ......who would actualy bid on that....

Old 05-16-2002, 03:32 PM
Pro Rider

I really feel sorry for the winner of this auction. He says in the ad that this quad could be dangerous, no kidding, it looks like it's falling apart. I sure that one good jump will bust the frame to pieces, three-wheeler frames where not designed for lateral tension (twist)like a quad frame, this is an accident waiting to happen.

BTW, I love the blue overspray all over the chain and rear shock reserve.

Old 05-16-2002, 04:00 PM
Pro Rider

I am definatly painting everything the same color when I paint mine...with a few spray bombs I can't have a NICE paintjob like that, I can get over how good the HUGE runs on the brake pedle look. Who would waste money buying new nets to change color when you can spray paint them...that is a truely CUSTOM look. I love that sweet bumper! oh and that frontend must be long travel roll design...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I like the way the frame is designed around the pipe for easy access. Probably gonna send my R out to this guy for a custom race setup.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 05-16-2002, 07:14 PM
Pro Rider

That thing is so sad............take a look at the front bumper its sideways!!

Old 05-16-2002, 07:45 PM
Pro Rider

It's beyond sad, it should be a crime.

Nacarls, please don't tell me this is what you want. If you want to make your tryke safer buy a wider axle and smaller tires. It will do wonders and it will be much safer than riding one of these contraptions, plus you will not get laughed at when your go out riding.

Could you imagine doing 70 mph on this thing and having the front end fall apart on you. I would stick with the three wheeler.

Old 06-14-2002, 11:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi everyone,

sorry for the wait. I was out of town. Well, i guess its kinda stupid of me to post this in a 3 wheeler forum knowing that infact this question would have biased answers. I Understand your grief, but you do not understand that the bike i have is basically a bike i would feel affraid to ride due to the fact that someon else has already butchered it so bad. The only reason i thought of the kit was to maybe fix the front end a bit. It cant ever possible get worse than it is now. My other option is to purchase a quad frame that would work for it as well. As far as the manual goes, its for a big red. period. its a 1982. And the motor according to the dealership here in town is definitly a 250r. And has air shocks front and back. more than 4 inches of travel. This bike is not stock at all. And that is my concern. If converting it is not a liable option, what options do i have? I cant sell it cause no one in their right minds would buy it..(worse than one on ebay) and i cant afford a new bike...or much over 1500. What should i do? Let it sit and watch it bury itself in dust? The motor runs great, its got new wheels and tires. Only think i am worried about is the frame and how safe it truely is.

Old 06-15-2002, 03:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well, there is a company that sells a kit, but I don't think they make it for the Air-Cooled ATC250R's. If you really want a family ride, I would suggest buying a quad, as there is too much work involved for something like this that will end up looking like a "hack job from hell" and probably perform the same. I don't know if your budget will alow it or not, but it's a thought.

Quick Reply: ATC 250r Conversion help?