Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

ATC 250r Conversion help?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2002, 04:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I have just recieved a 1982 big red 250r atc. It was rebuilt for racing and has alot of different things added for spead and handling. For one, The motor has been rebuilt and the damn thing was too fast. So i changed out to a bigger sprocket. Another change that was made, is the front wheel was extended along with the rearend. I am not a racing person, but would not like to see this family item go. So, to make it suitable for my needs, id like to try to convert it to a quad. This was an idea brought up by the local dealership here in town. so here are my questions....

1. Is there such a thing as a premade conversion kit that would allow me to easily conver the ATC to a quad? If so, could i please get some info on it and maybe a website.

2. If there is no such kit, Would it be best to buy a complete frame for it? I wouldt not need anything fancy, just something to hold the original 250r guts.

I am experienced enough at weilding and using my plasma cutter to attach a kit myself, so installation would not be a problem. I just dont fell like fabricating the entire fram mayself. Why reinvent the wheel right?

If i could get some info or just some ideas, I would appreciate it greatly...

Thanks for your help..

Nick

Old 05-12-2002, 04:14 PM
Pro Rider

Well, there is a company that sells a kit, but I don't think they make it for the Air-Cooled ATC250R's. If you really want a family ride, I would suggest buying a quad, as there is too much work involved for something like this that will end up looking like a "hack job from hell" and probably perform the same. I don't know if your budget will alow it or not, but it's a thought.

Old 05-12-2002, 04:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well,

I am good at fabricating, dont get me wrong. I was just wondering what my options were. The way i see it, It would be cheaper to rebuild the front end of this ATC then buy a new one with the same qualities. Even if i had a shop custom make the front end, it would still be cheaper. But Id rather do it on my own and get what i want(as far as installing a kit) then have some shop build something that might or might not work. Its a great bike, other then its lack of safety.

Would you happen to remember that company, maybe i could try to find the differences in the kit and see if it would still work for a air cooled bike.

Thanks for your help.

Nick

Old 05-12-2002, 04:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

You can sometimes see their ads in the back of dirtwheels and stuff. But one thing, please dont hack a classic trike! The kits end up looking "not right" if you see them..

RoostKing...

Old 05-12-2002, 05:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well,

Itys just an option. My next option would be to get a completely new frame...but i do not know what would be best for the bike I have now. What would be the frame used for the equivalent 250r quad? would this be an option....

Just to let you know, the trike is not at all factory now. Like i said, before i laid eyes on it, it had already been modified to lenghten the distance between tires(front and back). If i was to show you a picture, you would not be lieve it was a big red.

Is there anywhere online that i could get an example of a kit like this? I have heard from the dealership that if installed correctly, one would not know that it was a kit. Here, I hear the opposite. I am still interested in the kit now because to me saftey is more important than looks. Not that I would crap something together.

Thanks for the replies

Nick

Old 05-12-2002, 07:44 PM
Pro Rider

Sell it to someone who will apperciate a good trike and not hack it apart and turn it into a quad.
If you want a quad you should have just bought one.

Old 05-12-2002, 07:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I dont think you read his post. Its not original. I didnt quite get it the first time either, but its a big red turned into a 250R, not to mention it sounds like it was given to him.

RoostKing...

Old 05-12-2002, 09:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

RoostKing, your absolutely right.

I have documentation and papers for a honda 82 big red 250r.

But the trike i have sitting in the garage is far from that. The motor for one has been rebuild in a machine shop, put it this way, the motor is now 5 inches taller than factory, barely fitting in the frame. The frame from the gas tank back has been completely rebuilt(extended). The suspension in the back and front is also custom. I must say, its the softest ride(with pleanty of strength) that i have every experienced. The only problem is, its lacking 1 wheel and tire. This is they way i recieve the trike. I purchased the bike from an ex-racer out at glamis. The damn thing hauls major buns! The first thing i did was change sprockets to keep anyone form hurting themselves. Even though its hard to keep the front tire on the ground....another good thing about having a forth wheel(more weight).

I know your trike fans do not like the idea of hacking a trike to make something new, but all it is now is a hacked trike i am trying to make safe again. hope you guys understand.

thanks for any help!

nick

Old 05-12-2002, 11:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

OK, So lets say I needed a quad frame(complete) for a 250r trike. Where would be a place to look and get info on frames?

Im going to wait till tomorrow to run back by the dealership to try to get a look at a conversion kit. But Id also like to get a look at some frames...Anyone have any favorites?

Thanks

Old 05-15-2002, 11:39 AM
Range Rover

Fix it up for glamis like it was made for, sell it to someone who can ride it and get a quad.
Poor old trikes, They are a dying breed...

91 TRX350X
85 ATC250R
86 ATC200X
85 BIG RED 250

Quick Reply: ATC 250r Conversion help?