Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Big Gun Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2002 | 09:45 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]Hey if anyone is thinking of getting a high performance kit for their Rubicon from Highlifter think twice about the big gun exhaust that comes with it. I had mine on my machine for only a couple of months and the rivits holding it together lossened up and its coming apart. I called highlifter about it and they told me to contact big gun and gave me their number. I told them I was interested in them replacing it. They told me the only way they would do that is if big gun sent me a new one and I sent it to them.Big gun told me they would repair it. I was surprised that highlifter would not stand behind a product they sell. I've given and sent them alot of bussiness over the years and this is the first problem I've had.I payed good money for the performance kit. I won't buy another one from them

Old 05-17-2002 | 11:53 PM
Pro Rider

i herd the same thing when i asked about Getting a HMF or a big gun. after what i hear, i should not even think aboutthe big gun.

Old 05-18-2002 | 09:10 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]The fact that Highlifter didn't stand behind it is what really upset me. I told them I wanted it replaced. They should be the one's to ship it back to big gun. I never had it that long.

Old 05-20-2002 | 01:36 AM
Pro Rider

When was the last time you replaced the packing in your Big Gun? I would assume that you havent and the pipe heated up too much. The packing must be replaced often.

Old 05-20-2002 | 12:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just got a Big Gun (with quiet core) for my 300ex and I also have had one on my sons TRX 90 for about 3 months. I have to say that so far, I am VERY happy with the purchase. The power, the looks and the sound alot. Even my buddy with his new Yamaha 250 dirt bike with WB R series commented on how "bad" my 300ex sounds. I called BG about threads saying the finish fades with time and they claim that if it is frequently cleaned with Mother's Mag and Aluminun cleaner the nice shiny finish should stay for the long haul. Now I guess I need to call them in advance and ask about how to make sure the fasteners stay in place and how frequent to replace the core. Will report back.

I realize this thread is more about disatisfaction with Highifter support than it is Big Gun but wanted to chime in anyway.

Old 05-20-2002 | 05:21 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]Tex Mudder what a good highlifter moderator. Daa if you have to work on it every two months what good is it. There were mabey 175 miles on it. I know you tested the first prototype. Don't take it personal. I payed good money for my kit

Old 05-20-2002 | 11:20 PM
Pro Rider

I took nothing personal. I am happier with my two Big Guns than I ever was with the SuperTraps. The biggest problem with the SuperTraps is that replacing the packing was a good couple hour job which involved drilling out rivets. The Big Gun has 4 allen head bolts you take out.

Just as any FYI, any aftermarket muffler will need repacking. Yes you can run them with no packing, but you will be loosing power and be too lean. The stock packing in my Big Gun was gone in a few weeks. The repack kit that Big Gun sells lasts me a lot longer.

I payed good money for my kit and I like it.

Old 05-21-2002 | 12:19 AM
Pro Rider

There is a post on HL right now where some dude blew out the rivets on his. He has some pictures. His is on a 660 and looks NOTHING like mine on my 660 or my Rubicon. Does yours have springs on it? Does yours disconnect from the pipe or is it one solid unit?