Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

K&N Pre-Charger

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2002, 12:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick question......I installed a pre-charger on my air filter and used some air-filter oil. I sprayed it on as directed and it turned out being very thick. Is this right? Did I put too much on? Should it be installed on the quad while it is still wet or should it be dry? It says to let it sit for 20 minutes but it was not dry by then.

Old 05-20-2002, 03:40 PM
Pro Rider

There is a difference between foam filter oil, and the K&N oil. The K&N oil is designed for gauze type filters, which a K&N is.

If you installed an Outerwear pre-filter over the K&N, it is not supposed to be oiled (the Outerwear, that is)

Always let the filter oil dry, if at all possible, before installing. That is why I keep a couple of filters oiled, and ready to go at all times.

Old 05-20-2002, 03:47 PM
Pro Rider

man.... i feel like an idiot. so i use the filter oil on the filter itself, let it dry, and put the outerware over the filter. is that outerwear necessary?

Old 05-20-2002, 03:51 PM
Pro Rider

If you purchased the K&N new, it came ready to rock (oiled).

I would recomend using the Outerwear, but do not oil it.

If I had 50 cents for every dumb thing I've done in the past 36 years, I'd be a jillionaire.

Old 05-20-2002, 03:54 PM
Pro Rider

they must oil it lightly.....i could not even tell it was oiled. that is why i bought some filter oil......thanks so much for clearing it and not bashin' me. take care man.

Old 05-20-2002, 05:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

The K&N folks will tell you that the Outewear does not add to the filtration efficiency but is about the same (ie it catches about the same size particles as the filter). The advantage of the Outerwear is that if IT gets completely clogged, you pull it off, rinse with water or soap and water, let dry and go. Your main filter should still look ok and not totally clogged. This is great during a day or riding or racing in high dust conditions because during that same day if your primary filter gets clogged (because you don't have a prefilter), your choices are to stop for as long as it takes to remove, clean, dry and oil your filter or to continue to ride with a filter that is choking your engine of critically needed air. They also say that thier filters are as safe or better than ANY other style, foam or otherwise and that during the Desert Storm war, the army switched to K&N filters when choppers were going down because of clogged filters.
The downside of the prefilter is that (according to K&N) it allows about 10% less air through than a straight K&N with no outerwear.

Those two statements from K&N should have led me to ask them another question: "so if it's not so dusty that my filter will clog before I can finish a race or finish the day of riding, I am better off not using the Outerwear? (getting 10% more air but same filtration efficiency)"

If anybody talks to them maybe you can ask the question and post the results?

Old 05-20-2002, 06:27 PM
Pro Rider

K&N recommends "double oiling" for offroad use. I oil the filter, let it sit overnight, then oil it again and put it in a plastic bag until I need it. This lets some of the excess oil drain off, but the filter never does "dry". I put on the Outerwears just before installin it on the bike.

Old 05-20-2002, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider

The K&N oil is red. When you wash the filter, you will see that it is white. The red oil lets you see if there are any light spots when oiling.