Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Used 400ex...Should I go for it? Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2002, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a used 2001 Yellow 400ex in the local paper for $4,000. There are some modifications such as: ITP Front wheel (just the front, rear are stock), Renthal bars, K&N filter, and Dinojet jet kit. Now here's where I need help. They guy said he rolled it once because he stalled it on a hill(reason why he put the Renthals on), and he also messed up the front wheels when he lost control on the trail(reason why it has ITP front wheels). Is it worth buying? Now I didn't look at it yet so I do not know exactly what it looks like, but I'm thinking that because he had that accident that messed up his front wheels, the a-arms might be bent or something else could be wrong. Does this sound like the type of quad that you might not want to buy?

Any help or comments are appreciated.

Old 06-22-2002, 11:38 PM
Pro Rider

I wouldn't rule it out. Most bent components would be visible to the eye. I would take along a tape measure, pick a reference point on the frame, and do some measuring to see if anything is tweaked. Most of the parts on a 400EX are generally inexpensive. $4000 for a used 2001 400EX is pretty cheap. I paid a little more for mine.

Old 06-23-2002, 12:08 AM
Pro Rider

I dont think I would! Considering he has rolled it and hit a tree, not only the handelbars could be bent. It dont take much to bend a stock steering stem. He could have tweaked the frame. You just never know! I believe I would give it a "Thanks for your time" and walk away from this one buddy...

Old 06-23-2002, 12:41 AM
Pro Rider

Drive it, give it a really good look over and offer him $500 less. If you have to spend some cash on some bent components then so be it, but its just over a year old. How much do other 2001 400ex's go for? I would at least look at it.

Old 06-23-2002, 10:35 AM
Pro Rider

If you guys have ever bought a used quad and think it has never been wrecked, tipped over, or abused you have to be kidding yourself. These things are meant to take abuse and do it most of the time. Just because it has been tipped over doesnt mean it is "trash" I layed my dirtbike over yesterday, i guess that means it is junk now. Ohwell, if i were you that price sounds pretty good but i bet if you showed up with 38 crisp $100 bills he would sell it to you....but make sure it is in good rideable condition first.

Old 06-23-2002, 10:41 AM
Pro Rider

It takes quite a bit to bend a frame. Same goes for the A-Arms. You almost have to try to bend them.

Old 06-23-2002, 10:50 AM
Pro Rider

To me bending the stock handlebars doesnt sound like much of a crash. I have bent several pairs of renthals and tags with no other damage. The fact he bent up the stock wheels seems like cause for alarm. The stock honda wheels are fairly strong as near as I know, and if he bent them he could have bent something else. I agree that you should still give it a good inspection and see if it in good shape. Just make sure you can trust your own judgement or whoever you have help you inspect the quad.

To give you an idea on what the machine might be worth. My brother just sold a 2001 Yellow 400EX with, renthals, ac pro pegs, sparks x-4 exhaust, rev box, ac front bumper, ac skid, and pro design kill switch for $4500. This machine was virtually in perfect condition with maybe 25 hours.

Trending Topics

Old 06-23-2002, 01:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it is not to far, go check it out, ride it look at it close, that is a good price for an 01, also how does the plastic look after that roll over, 3800 would be a great price.

Old 06-24-2002, 06:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

Since you are spending 4k for the quad I would look at it carefully. Dont just look at the rims and bars but also all the other stuff too. It would be better to bring a friend or someone who knows quads to take a closer look to see if there is anything else wrong with the machine. It is well worth the time to find someone to go with you since you are gonna keep the machine for some time and you dont want any regrets later that there is something wrong that will cost you alot of $$$ to fix it. Better to be safe than sorry. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-24-2002, 10:33 AM
Pro Rider

You know, that MAY be a good price, but I depending on where you live, a brand new 400EX isn't much more than that these days.

I have seen 400EXs advertised for about $4800 OTD recently. These are Mississippi dealers, though.

Just a thought.

Quick Reply: Used 400ex...Should I go for it? Please help.