Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Questions about LT500s.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2002, 01:52 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking into buying an LT500 or LT500R or Quadzilla or whatever the he\\ they're called. I found one in good condition for 2500!! And this ONE for 3500.

Do they have any regular daily problems??

How often do they need a new top end?

Is 32:1 a good ratio for them?

Golden Spectro good pre-mix oil?

And last is this bike OK for a beginner,but has a good bit of experience with quads??

Please dont flame me because of how ignorant these questions are. Take into consideration I'm just trying to get info.

Thanks,

Jacob

Old 06-23-2002, 05:58 AM
Range Rover

Zilla are not a beginners quad. Do you already have a quad or not? I wouldnt recommend one for a first quad. My buddie has one. Someone he had just rebulid his motor told him that you should rebuild the top end every 30 gallons of gas. I think it was trinity racing or somewhere out west maybe. You can go a heck of alot longer but risk of more damage when the engine does blow. It causes lots of damage when it does. I wish I had pictures of my buddies zilla's cylinder and head. It gashed the heck out of it. The engine has thrust washers and is a powervavled 2 stroke. different from a honda 250R and other 2 strokes. They also told him that you can get away with pump gas in the mix but advise race gas always. especially with modded ones. My friend is rebuilding his this week. his gaskets and paint should be here monday and he is repainting the frame and the engine. he had it resleeved and got a cool head for it. then next saturday I bet we take a trip somewhere since its been so long since its been running. the thing is his baby. hasnt been rode in like 2 months now. other than what I have said they can be really realiable. he hasnt had a problem in over 2 years with til now when it blew. just gotta have more maintenance than every 2 years lol

Old 06-23-2002, 08:15 PM
Pro Rider

<< They also told him that you can get away with pump gas in the mix but advise race gas
always.
>>

Where'd you get that line of BS from??

I thought u just had to use high octane like 93.

IF that is the case I will NOT buy a zilla,at all.

Old 06-23-2002, 08:31 PM
Range Rover

you can use 93 octane. he's always used amomco's 93 or 94 octane. whatever the premium is. But they told him that they ADVISE using higher octane. and with his engine being higher compression now he is buying this gas (I'll have to ask him what it is called again), but its 116 octane. which will be like 114 at the carb or something like that. next time I see him I'll ask him who told him these things. It was professionals tho!

Old 06-23-2002, 09:07 PM
Pro Rider

whats the power of a zilla like? describe it for me, what happends when you punch the gas, in every gear.

Old 06-23-2002, 09:12 PM
Range Rover

ITS A ARM STRETCHER!

Old 06-24-2002, 11:50 AM
Pro Rider

The 500 is NOT a quad for beginners.... Don't even think about it!

They can be very reliable if the proper care and Maint. happens...

Octane rating depends on what's been done to the motor... The above posts are very misleading!

Plan on spending some $$$$$ fixing the shortfalls of the mighty quad

Old 06-24-2002, 12:15 PM
Pro Rider

The Zilla is a racing quad and was never intended as a &quot;beginners&quot; ride.
It's a large machine and heavy (over 400lbs) and very fast/powerful.
The engine is both a high-rever and very torquey, it can pull wheelies going into 5th gear no problem.
You can run pump gas in a Zilla just as you can in any 2stroke. It all depends on how much compression it's running, over a certain point, you need higher octane to keep it from &quot;pinging.&quot;
The 87 had weaker engine cases and needed to be repaired to hold up.
As with any 2 stroke, you need to do top-ends every 30-40 hours of riding.
Put it this way; if you have less than a couple years experience riding, you've never owned a quad, you aren't very big or strong, you're too young, DON'T BUY IT.

Old 06-24-2002, 06:22 PM
Pro Rider

Ever thought about asking a Suzuki question in a Suzuki forum? You do know that one exists.. Right? I'm sure you could get more answers.

Old 06-24-2002, 09:47 PM
Pro Rider

<< Ever thought about asking a Suzuki question in a Suzuki forum? You do know that one exists.. Right? I'm sure you could get more answers. >>

Yeah I put this topic in the suzuki forum......and got a ton more answers here.

Quick Reply: Questions about LT500s.