Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Recon Jettin

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2002 | 09:52 PM
|
Pro Rider

hello my friend wants to pipe his 2002 Recon he is deciding between the supertrapp IDS2 and the FMF Megamax 2 both using the stock head pipes. my question is will i have to rejet for either of the pipes. i know i should get the filter but he doesnt want to rejet. please respond!

Old 06-27-2002 | 10:57 PM
Pro Rider

Here is my response. Why would you mess with a Recon? That is like putting a pipe on a Malibu! I don't think it will help power much & you are going to get yourself into a jetting nightmare. But if your friend insist, I would say that in ALL cases of replacing a pipe you should change jetting. Even if the pipe builder says it is not necesary!

Old 06-27-2002 | 11:55 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!

You can see a decent power increase with a pipe/jetting on most Hondas, the factory pipes are a little on the small and restrictive side. With a real free flowing pipe,go up a size or two,take it out for a run, if it skips on the top end,you are too rich,go down a size,or until it runs clean. Another restriction is the plastic air snorkle,it is fair sized, but only has a hole the size a quarter in the end!!. When my son drove a Recon,I opened up the hole, not quite double the size, and had to jet up 4 sizes to make up for the air flow- and that was without any after market pipe !That alone gave it a lot more pep, so I can imagine a pipe would help a bit more.The only roadblock here is the rather stingy rev limiter, you have to shift quicker after modding it, or it will tend to hit the limit too quick. I never got around to piping it or putting an aftermarket filter on, he moved up to a 300 ex after about 2 years on the Recon,so I can't tell you how much the pipe will help for sure. But don't let the previous post discourage you, there is some decent power gains to be had on the Recon with a few parts and a little tuning.

Old 06-28-2002 | 07:02 PM
Range Rover

it is a 2002 recon right? then it should have the exact same motor and an tuning as the 250ex.(except pipe and air flow) Yes piping it will help a lot. he is right. the more air flow you give to this little motor the more power you notice. and yes the rev limiter sucks. I am hitting mine now in 5th gear at little over half throttle. Yes you should rejet. but its not hard at all. even somebody that has no idea on engines and carbs can do it with some directions. I think its great that somebody is moding their recon. they are a great machine.

Old 06-28-2002 | 10:16 PM
|
Pro Rider

yes it is a 2002 Recon ES (electric shift). the thing is i can jet the carb without a problem, because I have been working on engines for a long time. but the thing is I really don't want to jet it for him, and he doesnt have the money to professionaly get it jetted. all i am asking is if he puts on the fmf megamax 2(just the end pipe) and does not rejet will the bike run bad or will it run ok. (remember i am keeping the air intake stock). the kid wants the pipe more just for the noise and just to say that he has a pipe. just answer this one question for me, will it run bad if i do not rejet it for him?

Old 06-28-2002 | 10:56 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!

If it is just the silencer,not a head pipe, and no other intake mods are made, it should be ok. More than likely it will be slightly lean,which may end up keeping him from seeing the full potential of the silencer.Also,if it does end up lean, the motor will run hotter,and in the long run cause problems. A couple of jets are about 7-9 bucks,and taking the carb off, taking out four bowl screws and putting a jet in should be something he can tackle without any big problems. No sense risking engine damage and hurting performance after spending a couple of hundred on a pipe, then cheaping out on a couple of bucks worth of jets.
Thats just my opinion, but the final decision is his.Good luck !!!!

Old 06-29-2002 | 02:04 AM
Range Rover

EXACTLY!! what he said. jets are cheap. just buy a 2 jets 1 size up and one thats 2 sizes up. cheap and easy to install. y you would just want a recon loud and doesnt want the power I dont understand. But just a suggestion the WB e-series, like what I have, you dont need to rejet. run fine in nice weather. the manufacture says no need to rejet. Plus is really loud. and gives a lot of power. just yesterday my friend told me he could hear me from over 2 miles away out in the country. I think the e-series would be perfect for this kid if they make one to bolt up on the recon. Just a suggestion

Old 06-29-2002 | 05:54 AM
Pro Rider

WB is FOS. See, this is what I'm talking about. No need to jet. This is a selling point, & if they told me "no need to jet with our pipe" that would simply mean "no need to buy our pipe". Buy from companies who are not selling lies or junk!
P.S. Why not just drill holes in stock pipe to make it louder. He!!, just take the d@m& thing off. lol

Old 06-29-2002 | 01:54 PM
Pro Rider

Our Supertrapp came with a headpipe. We have the IDS1 on ours (2000) along with a Uni filter and the airtube mod and I had to go to a 110 main. It really makes a difference!

Old 06-29-2002 | 05:07 PM
Pro Rider

I had a 250Ex with full Big Gun and K&N. I used a 110 main also. Really woke up the bottom end. I could just leave it in third for trails.

Quick Reply: Recon Jettin