Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

honda 750 ex is comming,

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2002, 02:19 AM
RIP Dear Friend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honda needs to drop there prices on the 250EX, 300EX and then the 400EX to the former 300ex price, I would purchase one. It would make a great second sport machine in stock form for me.

You can only go so fast before the tree bites you.

10 grand, I might purchase a matching pair.

Do it Honda!!!! You would sell a bunch.

Feed us Americans some carrots.

Chet

Old 07-12-2002, 03:08 AM
The Facility

Boy is this an interesting thread.......LOL

I have read everything from everyone and it seems that there is alot of repeat quotes....LOL

Most of the statements here are based on personal experiences rather than actual supported fact.

Fact 1: The 400EX has dominated the GNCC Pro Production Class all year long. It's not like there is a shortage of Raptor's available.......just a shortage of riders who want them for the woods. There has only been one guy to run a Raptor all season [Curtis Crump], who has done well, but yet to win. There have been 4 Cannondales that have ran the class all season and did very well in the first 3 rounds, but have fallen back a bit since.

Fact 2: The Honda IS the most reliable from all the manufacturers. Automobiles are not ATVs and Motorcycles. Based on warranty registration repair, the Honda comes in 1st with Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki, and Bombardier making up the Top 5. This is from 2000 to 2001. The figures are based on a percentile of machines sold under the standard warranty [not extended] from the total machines sold, so it doesn't matter who sold the most. It comes out the same. At our dealership, we see more honda's in the shop than we do the others, but also sell alot more Hondas, so that is self explained.

By the way..I'm not taking sides here because I think this whole thing has turned into a pissing match. Just throwing in my .02

Would I buy a 400EX tomorrow?? No. I'm quite happy with the Cannondale.

If I had $5700.00 to burn, would I get a 400EX? No.
I would take the Z400 because I believe it to be a better overall machine...there just isn't any evidence in the woods racing world yet to prove it.

Old 07-12-2002, 11:09 AM
Pro Rider

Knowsalot, based upon your experience what would you say the ratio of repairs amongst the different brands is. Maybe you could express it as 2% of Hondas come in for warranty repair, 3% of Suzukis, etc....

I think the point that I at least was trying to make is that it's time for Honda to step up and I honestly feel as though there are many brand loyal people that will buy their brand (not just Honda) regardless of how good or bad it is but the unbiased riders are going to be steering away from Honda until they get with the program.

BTW, I'm pretty sure I won the pissing match. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-12-2002, 11:13 AM
Pro Rider

<<You believe everything you read don't you? I believe the original condition 250Rs that are still around running,not what the Jd power thing has.New Honda automobiles have V-tec Engines not even close to the engines in their quads,so that don't hold much water.>>

A lot of the original Warriors are still running after all these years... what's your point?

Also, as for the engines. VTEC is NOT a type of engine, its an acronym for Variable Timing with Electronic Control (Toyota's VVTL-i, BMW's Vanos... other mgf's are using it). It employs the use of another set of lobes on the cam(s) that allow the engine to breath much easier and faster at higher RPMs.

All you have to do to add VTEC to an engine is replace the head (of course, that means Honda or some other company has to make VTEC heads for that particular engine), so it's not like an engine with VTEC is really all that much different from an engine withoutVTEC. However, inline-3s, inline-4s, and V6s (the only kinds of engines Honda uses in their cars, all of which can be equipped with VTEC) are vastly different from one-cylinder thumpers, that's for sure.

But the addition of VTEC? I'm surprised they haven't done this already, but I think I know why they haven't...

VTEC does a marvelous job at creating more horsepower at higher RPMs, but once the high-RPM lobes engage, torque numbers drop through the floor. The result is a torque curve that's hardly different from the engine without VTEC, however, because the redline is raised, the horsepower curve keeps rising, and begins to drop off at the new redline... supporting it, however, is nothing. Torque is so low at this point, it's not even funny.

Why is this bad for ATVs? Well, would you want to be in the middle of a hill, unable to upshift because you don't have enough speed, and unable to downshift because your revs are too high, but yet stuck in a part of the powerband with almost no torque.

It would suck, wouldn't it?

So, is that post long enough to qualify for the "really long post hall of fame", or do I need another paragraph or three? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-12-2002, 02:29 PM
Trailblazer

Why does everyone have to be a bunch of baby's on this forum. Its like the whole Ford Vs Chevy thing. To this day its never been solved, People are going to buy what ever they want to buy. Yeah my 400 aint as fast as a Z400 or a raptor, or DS650 cripes, I get my *** kicked by my friends 400 because I'm a wimp when it comes to going 60mph in the trails. Who cares? HOnestly? I've had great luck with my 99 recon even though last month was the 1st Time I ever changed the oil. Thats the reason I bought a 400, they are proven winner. So what if its not liquid cooled, buy a damn raptor or Z400. If you knew how to ride properly you wouldn't need reverse. I've jumped off my 400 only a handfull of times in the past 2-3 months to turn it around, big whoop. I don't see the point of all the bitching. The 400 in my opinion was the answer to the Banshee, then the DS650 and Raptor was the answer to the 400, now Suzuki has put in its 2 cents against the 400. Now its Hondas turn thats it, Its only a pissing match between the makers and as long as there are knuckle heads to argue...There will alwys be the need for bigger and badder quads......

Old 07-12-2002, 03:24 PM
Trailblazer

GNCC 400EX Vs Z400 Results.

Old 07-12-2002, 04:59 PM
Trailblazer

<< BTW, I'm pretty sure I won the pissing match. >>

Um I thought KNOWSALOT agreed with me?

<< The 400EX has dominated the GNCC Pro Production Class all year long. >>

Which is what I have been saying this whole thread,where as you said it couldn't compete with modern day quads. BUT you made some good points I guess,so I'll say a draw.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

<< The HONDA IS the most reliable >>

Again,he agreed with me so HA HA,you ride the short bus.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-12-2002, 05:34 PM
Trailblazer

I'm not meaning to restart this war here, but you can't compare the machines that are run in the pro production class to what you take home from the dealer. I think all they need to compete in that class is stock frames. the motors are completely built and probably pushing 40 or more horsepower, same goes for any other quad in that class, none of those are even REMOTELY close to stock. If you wanted to see which one is better in the trails you would have to take timed runs BY YOURSELF ON THE SAME DAY SAME TRAIL to ensure that everything would be the same. That would be the only way to tell which one is better.

Old 07-12-2002, 05:51 PM
Trailblazer

Sorry,my post is down below.

Old 07-12-2002, 05:51 PM
Trailblazer

<< I'm not meaning to restart this war here, but you can't compare the machines that are run in
the pro production class to what you take home from the dealer. I think all they need to
compete in that class is stock frames. the motors are completely built and probably
pushing 40 or more horsepower, same goes for any other quad in that class, none of
those are even REMOTELY close to stock. If you wanted to see which one is better in the
trails you would have to take timed runs BY YOURSELF ON THE SAME DAY SAME
TRAIL to ensure that everything would be the same. That would be the only way to tell
which one is better.
>>

Thats true in a way,BUT it just proves my point more.

Everyone says the 400EX is air-cooled,and overheats more and blah blah blah. That just shows you can mod it more,and beat other modded machines. Knowsalot said,its dominating the GNCC,and against dales
thats a big statement.

<< A lot of the original Warriors are still running after all these years... what's your point? >>

I'm not familiar with the warriors and I doubt they are 16 years old,but still the 250R was used for racing,which is more abusive than what usually the wariors go through.

<<

A lot of the original Warriors are still running after all these years... what's your point?

Also, as for the engines. VTEC is NOT a type of engine, its an acronym for Variable
Timing with Electronic Control (Toyota's VVTL-i, BMW's Vanos... other mgf's are using it).
It employs the use of another set of lobes on the cam(s) that allow the engine to breath
much easier and faster at higher RPMs.

All you have to do to add VTEC to an engine is replace the head (of course, that means
Honda or some other company has to make VTEC heads for that particular engine), so
it's not like an engine with VTEC is really all that much different from an engine
withoutVTEC. However, inline-3s, inline-4s, and V6s (the only kinds of engines Honda
uses in their cars, all of which can be equipped with VTEC) are vastly different from
one-cylinder thumpers, that's for sure.

But the addition of VTEC? I'm surprised they haven't done this already, but I think I know
why they haven't...

VTEC does a marvelous job at creating more horsepower at higher RPMs, but once the
high-RPM lobes engage, torque numbers drop through the floor. The result is a torque
curve that's hardly different from the engine without VTEC, however, because the redline is
raised, the horsepower curve keeps rising, and begins to drop off at the new redline...
supporting it, however, is nothing. Torque is so low at this point, it's not even funny.

Why is this bad for ATVs? Well, would you want to be in the middle of a hill, unable to
upshift because you don't have enough speed, and unable to downshift because your revs
are too high, but yet stuck in a part of the powerband with almost no torque.

It would suck, wouldn't it?

So, is that post long enough to qualify for the &quot;really long post hall of fame&quot;, or do I need
another paragraph or three?
>>

Um,can you take it easy,on the big words,cuz some of us.....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] J/K

But the Honda engines in cars ARE RELAIBLE TOO,ask A N Y mechanic and he will tell you the same.

Quick Reply: honda 750 ex is comming,