Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Can you give me some tips? Wanting to build TRX500R!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 04:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you give me some tips? Wanting to build TRX500R!

Originally posted by: WiCkEd500
i understand your concerns about vibration. and since i havnt started my motor yet i cant tell you for sure but here is my take. all of these guys that have done this, with exceptions to a couple people, never balanced the crank or even thought of it. take a second and think. where else could there be that much more vibration? Honestly, I feel that you could get the crank balanced and solid mount the whole motor in your frame and never ever ever ever have it crack! The only reason I rubber mounted it is because i had the materials there and it would have taken the same time - if not longer - to fabricate soild mounts. I figured , hey, what the hell. I might as well since i have no idea how much vibration it will have even with the crank balanced. but i do feel that if you solid mount the motor you wont have a problem, that is, if your crank is balanced. i would say get it balanced.... slap it together and you can always come back and make different motor mounts.
Well, I tried solid mounting, I tried neoprene, and rubber... I hope you have better luck than I did... The frame was cracked to kingdom come in short order... (Not to mention it was a full time job keeping bolts tight and/or replacing them when they were lost on a ride)

She'll run like a raped ape for sure!!! Just not a poster child for reliability... Not to mention that even with an anti-vibe stem, my hands would go numb after about 20 minutes..

As far as modding a stock 250R goes... This is the ONLY way to fly:

http://saberracing.com

my $.02

Old 09-29-2005, 04:58 PM
Trailblazer

Well, I tried solid mounting, I tried neoprene, and rubber... I hope you have better luck than I did... The frame was cracked to kingdom come in short order... (Not to mention it was a full time job keeping bolts tight and/or replacing them when they were lost on a ride)

She'll run like a raped ape for sure!!! Just not a poster child for reliability... Not to mention that even with an anti-vibe stem, my hands would go numb after about 20 minutes..

As far as modding a stock 250R goes... This is the ONLY way to fly:

http://saberracing.com

my $.02[/quote]

Again.... did you have your crank balanced?

Old 09-29-2005, 09:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Mac Racing in Salem does the CR cylinder on the 250R bottom end, and I thought about that, if my frame cracks I will sell the built CR motor, and convert a TRX motor. just not a big deal, but with balancing it should be fine. an automotive enging "torque Dampener" popped in my head... you can get them in chrome, and it would probably take care of some of the issues as well, so you see there is realy several ways to come at this problem. all of which are logical. but for now I say F*CK the 250r motor. later if this breaks i might create a hybrid, I might swap in a KTM525, who knows. just want to have a big 2 stroke for now.

-Cody

Old 09-29-2005, 10:56 PM
Trailblazer

im not familiar with torque dampners. is it like a motor mount?

Old 09-29-2005, 11:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

pretty much the same as the mount. I just told the guy that I was going to get the chassis from that I can't do it. it would be $3000 shipped to the west coast, if you want info I can forward you the link. Super nice and clean, with an 86 cr500 motor, and mount made.

-Cody

Old 09-29-2005, 11:42 PM
Trailblazer

i dont follow..... are you saying that you were going to buy the 500 already mounted in a chassis?

Old 09-30-2005, 02:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

kind of, mounts were fabricated, frame race gusseted etc... then powder coated silvervein. only thing it needed was plastics, and a pipe.

Old 09-30-2005, 09:49 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

From past history of a friend that did this, you will spend a lot of time and money for something that you will not ride very much. The thing will not handle very well. Back in the 90's when there was nothing but R's and few people tried to build a 500 quad. I never did see one at any races. There is a person in my area that did one and might still have it. He had all kinds of problems with it, but he did get it to run after about 2 years of working on it.
But, if this is what you want to do, don't let me stop you. Go ahead.

Old 09-30-2005, 10:35 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: WiCkEd500

Again.... did you have your crank balanced?
Yep, Crank rebuild, balanced and welded! From a very reputable crank shop...

Old 09-30-2005, 10:58 AM
Trailblazer

and it still broke your mounts? hummmm.....

Quick Reply: Can you give me some tips? Wanting to build TRX500R!