Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Smaller sprocket equals more power?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2002, 05:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My neighbor put on his 250r atc a smaller sprocket, and claims more power. True? More stress on engine though right, with wheels turning faster and all?

Ron

Old 07-07-2002, 05:53 PM
Pro Rider

The smaller front sprocket will make it rev quicker but will lose top speed.
It has no effect on actual engine power.

Old 07-07-2002, 06:15 PM
Pro Rider

So it is or isn't like a truck? Meaning, I had a 3:73 in my rear end on my Suburban, I went with a 3:42 when they rebuilt it. By the ratio, it spins less, meaning the rpm's are lower, which is great for a 454, cause thats where it gets it at is a lower rpm. (hence: 235hp@3600 rpm; 385tq@1800 rpm) Although, some motors get it at a higher rpm, so this thing I did with the Suburban would be bad, taking more time to build up the rpm.
In the case of the ATC, the tires would spin faster(the chain has less time to spin around the sprocket, thus spinning the tires faster), I could see that....
More tq less hp....

Ron

Old 07-07-2002, 06:36 PM
Pro Rider

Smaller front sprocket, bigger rear sprocket, and smaller tires = more acceleration, less top end.
Bigger front, smaller rear, and bigger tires = less acceleration, more top end.

It doesn't have an affect on the actual power though.

Old 07-07-2002, 06:44 PM
Pro Rider

<<<<<It doesn't have an affect on the actual power though>>>>>>
Lost! Not from the engine, just from the math [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Faster turning wheels, get you there quicker [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Ok, Stock front sprocket, smaller rear, stock tires, equals???

Ron

Old 07-07-2002, 06:59 PM
Pro Rider

engine power does not necessarrily relate to how fast your wheels spin. power refers to to the engines abilty and characteristics at teh flywheel and/or tranny. by changing your sprockets it may "feel" as though you have more power but all you have done is chaned the rate at which your wheels turn. changing sprockets has NO affect on the engine output. relate this to a mountain biek or ten-speed. with your rear chain placed on a larger gear, just a little turn of the crank and your front wheels come off teh ground. however when you place your rear chain on one of teh smaller gears(and assuming you apply the same amount of force as you did using teh previous gear),it becomes almost impossible to wheelie and very difficult to get the bike to speed.
now relate this to your trike: the enginge power( teh force applied by your legs to the pedal) has not changed, but the rear wheels response through teh combnation of gearing has changed significantly. i hope this makes sense

Old 07-07-2002, 07:04 PM
Pro Rider

ok.. in regards to me previous response. the mountain bike analogy may have explained the whole engine power thing but do not use the gearing refernce in terms of acceleration and top speed. 2 totally different machines. sorry

Old 07-07-2002, 07:07 PM
Pro Rider

A smaller rear sprocket will give you less acceleration and more top end speed.

Elsancho - very well put.

Old 07-07-2002, 07:48 PM
Pro Rider

<< engine power does not necessarrily relate to how fast your wheels spin. power refers to to the engines abilty and characteristics at teh flywheel and/or tranny. by changing your sprockets it may &quot;feel&quot; as though you have more power but all you have done is chaned the rate at which your wheels turn. changing sprockets has NO affect on the engine output. relate this to a mountain biek or ten-speed. with your rear chain placed on a larger gear, just a little turn of the crank and your front wheels come off teh ground. however when you place your rear chain on one of teh smaller gears(and assuming you apply the same amount of force as you did using teh previous gear),it becomes almost impossible to wheelie and very difficult to get the bike to speed.
now relate this to your trike: the enginge power( teh force applied by your legs to the pedal) has not changed, but the rear wheels response through teh combnation of gearing has changed significantly. i hope this makes sense
>>

It does. But... Here is where I get lost. A 410 rear end in a Suburban can tow more than a 3:42, same motor, etc. Why?? The 410 turns the wheels more (moving the Suburban quicker to the final destination) than a 3:42. Explain this?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Now, this I know for a fact (my personal experience) that the engine is at more peace with a 3:42 rear end (thats why I changed mine) that a 4:10, now by doing so, I noticed more HP and I have noticed I have lost Torque. Ever noticed the guys that raise their trucks,suburbans, etc. and get the big tires? They usually go with a smaller rear end (410, etc.) to push those BIG tires.

Ron

Old 07-07-2002, 07:49 PM
Pro Rider

<< A smaller rear sprocket will give you less acceleration and more top end speed.

Elsancho - very well put.
>>

See, thats what I thought.

Ron

Quick Reply: Smaller sprocket equals more power?