Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Riding Clutch for a vergin!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2002, 01:57 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need help alot of it my friend just bought a 400 ex not too much knowledge about this. he has money but not skills i tried to teach him but nottin worked lol. please help me out here so i can explain easier for him to understand me. lol please i need ever bit of help here to help him out so he wont sell it cause then i dont get to ride it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] thanks alot people[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-10-2002, 03:12 AM
Trailblazer

Help with what? Learning how to use a clutch? Its sooooo easy. Just pull it in when you stop then not too slowly let it out as you go.

And pull it in when shifting gears....whats so hard??

Old 07-10-2002, 05:11 AM
Trailblazer

ok, i hope this helps. i'm writing so you can print it out and give it to your friend.

when you're sitting on the quad the clutch is the lever at your left hand and the shifter is by your left foot. (if you don't know where the brakes are you're already in trouble.) before you start the quad put it into neutral by pressing down on the shifter a few times until it stops clicking then pull up gently until you feel a small click. a green light by the key should come on if it went into neutral. it may take a while to find neutral at first but you'll get better at it. next, start up the quad and let it warm up for a few minutes (use the choke for cold starting). now the fun part. pull in the clutch, and shift into first(push down on the shifter), give it some gas, and VERY SLOWLY release the clutch. to stop, press the break and pull in the clutch at the same time. i'd recommend practicing in a flat, open field at first. stay in first gear until you can start out pretty well. shifting is easy. all you do is pull in the clutch, shift up or down then GENTLY let the clutch back out.
have fun.

Old 07-10-2002, 10:58 AM
Pro Rider

Before you start with the gas and all that. Have them pull in the clutch, put it in first gear and than WITHOUT USING ANY GAS, release the clutch slowly until they can get the quad moving. This will teach them very quickly where the clutch engages and how to release it slowly. After they have first down have them do it in second gear. Most Four stroke quads can do this on a level strech.

If you have them use the GAS CLUTCH SHIFT, most people get screwed up and keep killing the quad or taking off to fast without ever learning how to use the clutch.

This works for cars as well and the learning time goes down ALOT.

Hope that helps.

Smitty

Old 07-21-2002, 02:46 PM
Pro Rider

Stick him in a small car with no torque and a chatterbox clutch in slow/heavy stop and go traffic, he'll either tear something up, or learn proper clutch engagement. Explain it's not a switch, it's a clutch.