Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Predator beating up on the Hondas?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2002, 11:36 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ripitup every one of your posts are about this quad you have said that you have seen it like two or three times in two or three different states. jsut sounds kind of funny to us that your seeing this quad everywhere and next to nobody eles is. so whats the truth. you work for them, you dont who cares. tell us what you know because besides the people that build them you have seen it more then anybody.

Old 07-16-2002, 12:11 PM
Pro Rider

<< honda always sits back and waits and sees what its competiters have. >>

Now dont get me wrong I have nothing againts hondas, but this excuse is getting old.. I've been hearing it since before honda practically left the sport market in '89. For 10 years they did nothing sport other than the 300ex. Yamaha didnt do anything new in those 10 years either but they kept producing the sport quads they had. Honda doesnt sit back and wait, they just do whatever they want. Same as every other manufacturer.

Old 07-16-2002, 03:29 PM
Range Rover

I think Polaris engines are spelled F U J I

Old 07-16-2002, 03:38 PM
Pro Rider

<< Hi WyoDuner,
I picked up, I think it was Dirtwheels magazine, a week ago and saw some stats on the
warranty claims by brand. Guess who was at the bottom of the list.................yep
good old Polaris...............

I do not understand your remark regarding Japanese engine. Surely you are not saying
that Polaris can not build a proper engine.....are you? If so, shame on you LOL.
>>

I am curious to know how the manufacturers lined up with Warrenty claims; If you have it, it would be a good post worth reading. Personally, I wouldn't be caught dead on a Polaris unless maybe the Predator turns out to be a worthwhile high performance quad. I never felt that Polaris could hold it's own in reliability vs the Japanese brands. Reliability is a smaller factor to me; performance is more important. I know how to &quot;read&quot; my machines and maintain them so I'm not too concerned about that. The reason I wouldn't want a Polaris is because of their use of CVT trannies and MacPhereson struts on the front end. Neither of these have any busines being on a quad in my opinion; sport ot utility.

Polaris uses Suzuki for their 4 stroke engines, that's why I said it will likely be a Japanese engine. I don't follow Polaris but I THINK (not sure) that they outsource the 4 strokes and make their own 2 strokes.

Right now the only machines I would lay down my own money for are the Raptor, DS650, Z400 (for the wife) or Banshee. We'll see how this new Predator stacks up when it is released - if it measures up then I wouldn't discount it becasue it is a Polaris.

Old 07-16-2002, 04:09 PM
Pro Rider

BTW People, here are some quotes from our friend ripitup:

Forget the raptor and 400ex, I saw the predator this weekend, its the sh*t. These guys were passing me on my raptor without any problem.

Good bye 400, i,m getting a predator. they said that it will be out by august.

I saw this machine in action the other day. I was riding some trails in central Wisconsin when these guys blazed past me like I was standing still. They stopped a ways down the trial or I would have never caught up with them. These bikes are awesome!!! They said the Predator would be available in early fall. Has anyone out there seen the Predator in action? What were your thoughts?

I saw that new Predator running in NY last weekend and I have to say I am a little nervous. That was an impressive machine, whoever makes it has done there homework. I have read about the Predator beating up on some of our boys in the field and I believe it! To tell you the truth I am selling my 400EX and looking into the Predator. Does anyone know for sure who maunfactuers iy, when it comes out, etc...?

I am just tired of my underpowered 400EX.

Who would win, who could finish, racing up a 60-75 degree hill? I watched it happen and I was amazed! They both finished the climb but the stock Predator did it second gear! This guy had a tricked out Raptor and had to downshift into first to get out. Needless to say, all the others failed to even make the climb. That Predator is off the hook!!

Good bye 400, i,m getting a predator. they said that it will be out by august.

Does anyone know anything about the bike of predator500.com? This quad looks pretty sweet! If anyone knows anything about it, contact me at quad_jumper@hotmail.com

I was out riding last weekend and ran into the egineers testing the Predator.. I can tell you that this is not a hoax. This machine is awesome , they were getting major air with little bounch back on landings. I could not keep up with them.. They told me that they would be in the midwest for a few more days before heading over the the northeast.

Old 07-16-2002, 04:42 PM
Pro Rider

I'm really curious about Suzuki making Polaris 4-stroke motors. If this is so, I will laugh.

Old 07-16-2002, 06:34 PM
Pro Rider

Seems like everybody was happy with their 400EX, until they read in a magazine that it was underpowered.

Old 07-16-2002, 07:09 PM
GTV
Range Rover

Well Honda's decision to hold back has cost them dearly, and unless the Z and Predator turn out to be junk, Honda's sport quad sales will probably stop all together, except for the un-informed and die hards. I use to be Honda all the way, but like others, I spent my $ elseware also.

I think you guyes that say the EX is only good for kids and women are just trying to rub the EX guyes(and Honda) the wrong way. Take the D\S, Raptor, Z, and EX, there isn't 10 mph diff or 4or5 bike lenghts differance. If your kids or women can &quot;handle&quot; the 400EX, there is ablolutely no reason they can't handle the others, if they can't, they don't need to be on the EX, maybe a 300EX. But don't let me get in the way of your B.S.

The Dale is the baddest quad out, isn't it? Highest power-to-weight ratio. This might be a little much for the kids. Might trade the Z in for one in a couple years if Honda doesn't step up to the chalenge.

Anyway, lets all keep knocking Honda, maybe they will listen?

ps, For the guyes that keep saying &quot;faster,faster, more HP, more HP&quot;, what do you want? A light quad with 50+ HP with plenty of bottom torque. OR A quad like a Dale that will turn 12,000+ rpm, 50+ Hp, with a power curve like a 2-stroke? Which one!!!

Later...

Old 07-16-2002, 07:43 PM
Range Rover

Wyoduner

Polaris gets their engines from FUJI Heavy Industries not Suzuki. Whether the Predator's engine comes from FUJI or not who knows. For as fast as you ride I think the Sportsman would be more in line for you than the Predator anyway. For reliability who knows. The Raptor had a lot of problems when it came out hopefully the Predator doesn't. Polaris learned something from that by the looks of it. They high lighted things on their site like the high strength axle and other features that you usually have to buy as after market. If the engine is like the current 500HO then it will be rock solid. We'll just have to wait and see how it works out.

Old 07-17-2002, 03:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

Now why would Polaris write this on their Internet site:

'Frames and body panels have additional reinforcement too, to stand up to all the punishment you can dish out.'

If you look at their Professional section you will find the above mentioned wording.
Does this sentence mean that the 'standard' models are not as rough and tough as they could be?
Just wondering why they would put it up there.

Oh and regarding the engines....
'Polaris has a joint venture, Robin Manufacturing, USA, with Fuji Heavy Industries to build engines for its products and companies in noncompetitive industries.'
......above mentioned came of the net.

Quick Reply: Predator beating up on the Hondas?