Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Predator beating up on the Hondas?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2002, 05:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw that new Predator running in NY last weekend and I have to say I am a little nervous. That was an impressive machine, whoever makes it has done there homework. I have read about the Predator beating up on some of our boys in the field and I believe it! To tell you the truth I am selling my 400EX and looking into the Predator. Does anyone know for sure who maunfactuers iy, when it comes out, etc...?

Old 07-15-2002, 08:27 PM
Pro Rider

You probly know more than the rest of us!!

Old 07-15-2002, 08:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

Hey rippie we all know you work for polaris or something why don't you be a man and tells us what we want to hear the truth!!!! oh gee that would be hard to beat a 400 with a 500.

Old 07-16-2002, 01:45 AM
Range Rover

Pretty soon you're going to regrt saying that Honda has the slowest quad around. Honda is just waiting, letting all the other brands make quads to beat the 400, Then... BOOM! They're going to make something that will take the other brand a long time to make a better bike. After that, they'll keep doing the same thing, except the other guys will never be able to make a better bike. Honda takes a long time to engineer their bikes, that's why they are so good. Just wait, you'll see.

Old 07-16-2002, 02:09 AM
Range Rover

honda always sits back and waits and sees what its competiters have. Then they design theirs. which is better and improved of all the others. they are smart. SLOW but smart. just wait. if they come out with a couple new quads everyone else will be in awww. hopefully the crf450 will be one. I hope honda will make a new quad in the 440 or 450 class if they change it to 450. and also come out with a new open class quad like the a 650.

of course a 500cc DOHC liquid cooled four stroke is gonna be faster than a 400ex. a 400ex was ahead of its time and now is behind it. I wouldnt be surprised if this is the last year they make it.

So when is this new Pooplaris gonna be realeased. WE all know its a Pooplaris and want some more facts. Why be so top secret about something. that way there isnt a lot of hype about it and everyone thinks its gonna be great? that way when it comes out and is a piece of crap like every other polaris nobody will be as pissed??

Old 07-16-2002, 02:10 AM
Pro Rider

Yes, excellent speculation little400. I mean really. When I had my bike in for it's first service, I talked with the guys on the sales floor, and they hadn't sold a single ex since the Z came out. Of course they're going to have to do something. I think they just got too comfy if you ask me. Honda has DOMINATED and is definitely still all over the winner boards, but this whole Z issue hit them where it hurts. I cannot wait personally to put my Z up against a predator. If I get smoked, cool. If not, cool. I think that predator will be awesome and I also hope honda gets on the ball too with a newer, 21st century style machine. The ex has set the mark for so long, but the mark on the wall's a little taller than it was a couple of years ago. They'll be in the running too, they've made too much with the ex not to. Who knows too, maybe it's not as heavy as everyone thinks either, maybe they just have a good poker face...

Old 07-16-2002, 05:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

Okay I cannot resist anymore.

Here you go:
Word PREDATOR
All-Terrain Vehicles
Filing Date January 3, 2002
Applicant Polaris Industries

Now don't loose any sleep over it anymore.

Oh and by the way don't wait for this dinosaur to appear in the shop.
Being a Polaris it will break down before you can say LTZ400 that is
by the way the machine you should be thinking about.
Now sell that silly excuse for a sport ATV Honda and buy a real machine.

Don't believe the hype....................................

Old 07-16-2002, 11:05 AM
Pro Rider

3TV, you nailed it. Look around and you will notice the vast majority of 400ex riders are youngsters and women. It's a nice relaible mild mannered quad for those that don't need or can't handle a high performance machine.... Hmm, come to think of it I would say the Z400 is the new replacement for the outdated 400ex. It is reportedly more powerful but still not in the Banshee/DS/C-Dale/Raptor range and not as likely to get a less experienced rider hurt from being too overpowered.

Oh, polarispredator, the crack about the Predator breaking down was pretty lame. The Predator wil almost certainly use a Japanese made engine and all the rest of the stuff on a sport quad is pretty much tried and true technology. I predict reliability won't be an issue. Thank you for your input.

little400 and trx25oexer, you guys keep holding your collective breaths. Sooner or later you're going to turn blue and admit that your Honda vaporware dream quad isn't going to happen. If it does then great for all of us but historically Honda has a record of playing it safe and NOT pushing the envelope. Except for a couple of "innovations" in the utility lineup (3 speed auto tranny with no low range in the Rincon for example - just like the 1976 Ford Maverick I used to have when I was in high school) Honda has not exactly been on the cutting edge of ATV technology. It's not even a matter of technology - Honda will not produce a high performance quad, period. They are still afraid of the CPSC. Oh, if you think the 400ex is a high performance quad then you have a distorted view of what high performance really is.

Later.

Old 07-16-2002, 11:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

Whoa fellas! I certainly didn't mean to stir up a hornets nest and I most definitely don't work for Polaris. I am just tired of my underpowered 400EX. Naturally, it won't beat a lot of the sport quads out there but I need it to at least keep up and make a race of it. It is a good machine but if I want to be competitve it is time to move on. I just wanted you all to know what I saw last weekend, apologies for getting everyone up in arms.

Old 07-16-2002, 11:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi WyoDuner,

I wouldn't say my remark regarding break down is lame. Okay I was pushing it a little bit.
I picked up, I think it was Dirtwheels magazine, a week ago and saw some stats on the
warranty claims by brand. Guess who was at the bottom of the list.................yep
good old Polaris.

Facts are facts. If you like Polaris go buy some, if you like Honda hey man go for it.
But a fact is a fact is a fact is a fact......

I hope the Predator turns out to be the new crotch rocket we are waiting for but somehow
I doubt.

I do not understand your remark regarding Japanese engine. Surely you are not saying
that Polaris can not build a proper engine.....are you? If so, shame on you LOL.

Quick Reply: Predator beating up on the Hondas?