Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Oh Great...I own a STOLEN quad!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2002, 06:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That must seriously suck.. this whole thing must be a nightmare, and to think since you got a loan on this quad you are paying payments for nothing. id though try to get the guy who originally did the fraud to pay back the insurance company and notify that company too soon if you havent yet. also try to get back at that guy for lost time, court costs, attorney costs and impoundment time( near me its 20 bucks a night and 45 to get it out.. that can get expensive)

Hope you get back to riding soon.

Old 08-06-2002, 10:44 PM
Pro Rider

Most likely, one of two things will happen. The insurance company will threaten to sue the guy that committed the insurance fraud. If he can repay the money they gave him, they will probably not even bother with retrieving the quad, and it will be yours. If he can't produce the money, they will keep the quad, and you will have to sue him for the money that you paid for it.

Either way, I would let the insurance company know that you are at their disposal. They will want a copy of the bill of sale that the guy gave you when you purchased the quad from him. Working with the insurance company will, in return, make them want to work for you. The last thing that they want to due is repo the quad, and have to go through the hassle of auctioning it off, but they will if they have to.

Old 08-06-2002, 11:49 PM
The Facility

copguy,

Stuff it![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

5 Gallon bucket
Back seat
Pinto
Hand Pump

Old 08-07-2002, 12:13 AM
Pro Rider

LMAO, The kid won't get the backseat part.

Copguy,

Los Angeles, Ca is looking for Cops like the one you'll be.

Piranha,

Keep us informed on whats going on and maybe we can think of something to help.

Smitty

Old 08-07-2002, 12:43 AM
Pro Rider

<< LMAO, The kid won't get the backseat part.

Copguy,

Los Angeles, Ca is looking for Cops like the one you'll be.

Piranha,

Keep us informed on whats going on and maybe we can think of something to help.

Smitty
>>

Smitty,
Your &quot;signature&quot; is funning! It would also work with &quot;who's your daddy?&quot; LMAO!!!

Old 08-07-2002, 05:54 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the help and support guys. Yeah, it does &quot;seriously suck&quot;.

I still haven't heard back from the cop. I didn't hear from him at all Monday, so I left a voicemail Tuesday morning. Didn't hear from him at all on Tuesday so today I called and asked if there was ANYBODY that I could talk to regarding my situation. The lady was an idiot and was a royal &quot;insert insult here&quot;. She said &quot;Well, the only person that can help you is the officer that was dealing with your case, why don't you talk to him?&quot;. I had already explained that he wasn't returning my calls so she said &quot;I only have 1 other officer here on dispatch and I can put you through to his voice mail&quot;. I left him a voice mail message this morning around 10am, but have yet to hear back from anybody.

All I know is that if I was out having some innocent fun like we were the other day they would be there in an instant.

-Josh

Old 08-09-2002, 01:11 AM
Range Rover

Man that sucks. Well hear this.....My 1999 Honda 400EX was stolen on july 29th, and im still lookin for it. Was totally mint, and its pissing me off more each day. I'm from new castle, pa, and I dont think its too far from here, because we all believe its down in the ghetto miles from here. The problem is you cant go down there without getting shot. If they see white people, they just unload. So, anyhow, its quite depressing knowing some bastard has my bike and is riding it around, possibly trying to sell it to another for drug money.

I got my title sitting here, but no bike [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 08-09-2002, 10:03 AM
Pro Rider

prs311,

I'm sorry to hear about your quad...it makes me feel lucky to at least know where mine are, and know that I can at least use my legal rights to get them back rather than not having anybody to take action against.

Last night I picked up the Honda, they released that one without a hitch and said all the paperwork on it (and all previous transactions on it) is perfect.

I talked to the officer about my Banshee and he said that it is taking so long because they have been having a hard time getting in touch with the people involved since the date goes back to the year 2000. It also makes it difficult that the original investigating officer is on vacation until this coming Tuesday. I guess when he comes back the case will be given to him. There was some other stuff too, but the cop said in the end he thinks that I'll get the Banshee back and nothing will have to change. At least that is what it looks like now.

Take care.

-Josh

Old 08-09-2002, 10:56 AM
Trailblazer

The same thing happened to me with my GSXR 750, i battled cops and courts for 6 months, I had the title legit and everything,apparently title's dont mean as much as they should, the guy who claimed it stolen also had a title, and they were both legit, so someone had applied for a lost title i guess, but they did not care, finally i got the guy i bought it from to settle with the guy who claimed it was stolen, but it went on daily for months, its a real hassle but you can win. good luck
Rob.

Old 08-10-2002, 10:45 AM
Pro Rider

As a VP of a bank, I have had experience w/ repos, insurance fraud and dealer fraud, etc. Since you bought the quad in &quot;good faith&quot; with a receipt or bill of sale (this is key), you should be able to get the quad back at some point, but may need a lawyer. Usually, the Insurance co. bank or someone with deeper pockets will take the loss. Ins. fraud is common and is no less than stealing which causes us all problems and higher rates.

02 Eiger 5sp. 4x4

Quick Reply: Oh Great...I own a STOLEN quad!!!