Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Need new battery suggestions for '01 Rancher

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2002, 12:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a used 2001 Rancher 4x4 ES. The battery looks to be toast. Any suggestions on which brand to buy for this model atv? Thanks for your help.

Old 08-24-2002, 01:31 AM
Pro Rider

I've been happy with Yuasa for several years. If not riding during the winter, bring the battery indoors and it will last longer. You can also get a winter battery charger that constantly provides a VERY low amp recharge, haven't used that. Where are you in this great state?

Old 08-26-2002, 12:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

My 01' Rancher has a 1999 Yuasa in it. I bought the atv about 6 weeks ago, used, of course. Looks like someone did some battery swapping before they sold it. Doesn't make sense to me that a 2001 atv would have a 1999 battery. Anyway, it's definitely going down hill fast. I bought a Battery Tender Plus to see if it just needed a charge but it didn't help. It won't charge past 12.5 volts.

I live in the mountains west of Golden and Boulder, near Wondervu, at about 9000'. I was wondering if I'll need a block heater for the winter. Any thoughts on that? The Rancher will be stored inside an unheated shed. I'll be using it during the winter for snowplowing. The Honda service guy in Boulder didn't think I'd need one.

Old 08-26-2002, 01:30 PM
Trailblazer

yuasa is the #1 selling battery for bikes..quads etc. they are available thru your dealer or outside suppliers like interstae batteries etc. the ones you can buy at wal mart are not made by yuasa anymore (i dont think anyway) the key for getting the most life is to fill it yourself. let the acid soak in the plates for atleast 6 hours before charging, and never let it get run down. the battery tenders work great and is a wise investment.` and if you need help finding one in your state email me exatak@aol.com i hope this helps ya

Old 08-26-2002, 02:08 PM
The Facility

Yuasa is the best replacement battery for any quad or motorcycle. Any deler in the U.S. can get one for your quad whether the sell that brand of quad or not. You need a YTX14-BS.

Old 08-26-2002, 02:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

The Yuasa YTX14-BS is currently what's in my Rancher. I'll start looking for another one of those. Is 3 years a typical life for these batteries?

Any of you think I'll need a block heater? Gonna be snowplowing so I want the Rancher to start up without difficulty, even in the coldest weather.

Old 08-26-2002, 03:06 PM
The Facility

I depends on how you use your quad when it comes to battery life. Same thing goes for motorcylces.

The YTX14-BS battery is also the same battery that honda used on all of the TRX300 models from 1988 to 2000.

I might sell a battery each year to the same guy who owns a 1998 Foreman, but then i might sell a battery to a guy with a 1990 TRX300 who has NEVER had previous problems with the battery.

It's kindof weird, but true.
The more you use your quad, the longer the battery will last. This is due to two things. one...the charging system of an ATV isn't as capable as a car for instance in it's ammount of juice.

and Two....Some ATV owners only roll theirs out once a month which adds to the battery's ease of becoming "sulphated".....a battery acid condition which is not good....LOL

I have no clue about an engine block heater....I live in Mississippi....we run the cooling fan year round it seems.....LOL

Old 08-26-2002, 03:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

It's very likely that I won't be using my atv more than a few times per month. Is there anything I can do to keep the battery healthy and not "sulphated"? ... like keeping it on the Battery Tender or starting it up at least once a week?

Old 08-26-2002, 03:36 PM
The Facility

Yep....The Battery Tender will do the job. If you don't have one of them, be sure to go out there every other week and fire her up for about 15 minutes.

Old 08-27-2002, 01:27 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah, I know where you are located. Spent my "formative" years in Northglenn, and all over the front range mountains. In Grand Junction now, what a different world. When you say block heater, do you mean a magnetic one that warms the case, or something more complicated? The magnet thing should work fine, and you would only need it overnight before the day you plan to use it. Put it where the most oil in the engine case is.

Quick Reply: Need new battery suggestions for '01 Rancher