Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

First time buyer

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2002, 12:41 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys,

I have never rode a 4 wheeler but want to get one for hunting. I am seriously considering the Rancer ES 4x4. Any thoughts on this selection?

Secondly, I am considering the Honda training class for 4 wheelers. Has anyone attended, is it worth the 4 hours?

Old 09-03-2002, 12:45 AM
Range Rover

THe rancher sounds good, no matter what you get will be fine really i mean if ur not doin any serious riding go for it. The rancher is a good quad and all the utilities will be fine for hunting. My friends dad went to the course i think your talking about. you get some money back if you take the class right?

Old 09-03-2002, 12:49 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah, I think Honda gives you $100. Any feedback on the course?

Old 09-03-2002, 01:19 PM
Pro Rider

The Rancher is a great bike and fairly sporty for a utility! It is not to huge and very agile. It doesn't have the power of a big bore, but then again it isn't the huge hulking beast that most utility bikes are. The steering can fight you a little, especially on hardpack.

When my kids took the course, I went along and took it too. It was pretty fun!! I recommend taking it. Also, being new to the sport, try to hook up with someone who is an experienced rider and get some personal instruction.

Old 09-03-2002, 09:18 PM
Pro Rider

I heard the course is very informational. I know a friends father who went and said he learned many techiniques for hill climbing, going over obstacles and being a safe rider. The only problem he said was the people that were taking the course were beginners and put putted around and they were all utilitys as he was a sport machine and had problems since they went up the hills so slow and what not.

Old 09-03-2002, 10:14 PM
RIP Dear Friend

If you want less potential problems and you are out in the woods alone hunting, I would suggest the shift model Rancher.

Bamboo could come gouge your electric shifter, but bamboo can't wrench that shifter off.

I think the deer is called bamboo. I do not KNOWSALOT on this subject of deer naming.

Chet
VP KNOWSALOT Facility

Old 09-03-2002, 10:50 PM
Pro Rider

You will also get a cheaper rate on insurance if you take the course.

Old 09-04-2002, 01:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

The Foreman 450ES would be a nice choice as well........

Old 09-04-2002, 11:50 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife and I took the coarse, take it. Nothing like getting payed to make you smarter and SAFER.

Buy a Red Rancher ES 4X4. IF? it ever has a problem, there is a manual shifter in the trunk to get you home.

Why do you get power steering in you cars, a hose could leak and you would loose the power assist, from now on don't get power steering because manual steering has less problems. The ES is great, dependable and comes with better instrumentation and full floor boards for very little money.

The Rancher does not have the power of a bigger ATV. I have hauled two people up amazing things, first gear is like a compound gear in a manual shift 4 speed 4wd truck, not fast but plenty of power.

Enjoy your new Rancher, good choice.

Old 09-04-2002, 12:00 PM
RIP Dear Friend

Specta,

You might have me trying an ES with that sales pitch.

Very good analogy on the power steering issue. You have made a strong case for ES.

Chet
VP KNOWSALOT FACILITY

Quick Reply: First time buyer