Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Here's What the Dealer Told me About the New Honda.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2002, 02:29 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I said it when all this started Honda is run by bean counters, I would bet money there is a new sport quad ready to go as we speak but as long as the EX is outselling all sport quads combined then why would the change.
Yamaha is the second largest atv producer so there is no way the EX out sells their line up. But I read somewhere that Honda sells 3 or 4 EX's to all other sport quads combined.

Old 09-21-2002, 05:08 AM
Pro Rider

Once again Knowsalot, I do believe you are correct. I was mistaken with the "Sport" lineup.
I jsut hope Honda gets in the game soon for all the loyal honda riders.

JeroBoam, no it is not StarCity. However, I can't tell you who it is. They do all of Starcity's
high performance stuff though. Also, they built all of Honda's "Team Tough" MotorCycles.

Old 09-21-2002, 06:53 AM
Trailblazer

I dont even believe that it sold more then the entire sport quad line. in our sales region I dont even think the quad was in the top 5 in any model and yamaha sold hte most outta every manufacturer with the warrior selling the most followed by the raptor and blaster then like an xr70 or 80 or whatever...400 ex not even in the picture and we are in prime quad country in our area

Old 09-21-2002, 10:52 AM
Pro Rider

I have to agree with 3groc for my area also. 400EX's aren't selling around here unless they are used are discounted. When you can pick up a Raptor for 5699.00 or a Z for 5099.00 and now that there will be a couple more new models hitting the area soon it pretty much drops the 400 from most peoples want list in this area. I know some people have a problem with dealerships that discount quads but I work on all of my own quads and always have. I get the same deal on parts from the discount dealership that the local list price dealers offer and i get the quad for 100.00s less. I'm not losing anything by buying from a discount dealer and I have 700.00 or so to spend on mods. And yes I know there is a need for a good dealership that offers excellent service for those that don't work on their own quads but that isn't for everybody and I would rather save the money. I can hardly wait for more new quads to arrive. I'm needing to move my oldest son up to a bigger quad and a used 400EX will be perfect for him to start racing on before he is ready for a Dale. And I believe Polaris is the second largest ATV producer for total models sold.

Old 09-21-2002, 12:00 PM
Pro Rider

Honda undoubtedly sells more 400ex's than any other brand's sport offering. There are more Honda points in the U.S. than any other manufacturer. In fact, it is possible that Honda is selling the same or more new 400ex's than ever before. There are that many new consumers coming into this rapidly expanding segment. Honda can hide behind total deliveries but market share and deliveries per dealership that have multiple brands are most likely on the decline.

Knowsalot or 3Groc,

Do you know the total points per brand here in the states. I know it used to be Honda but I also know the reason Honda developed pwc's and are looking into the snowmobile market is more for protection of point dominance and market share than profits. Let's face it, if you could open a new dealership and had to pick a brand, Yamaha would be your choice simply because they offer 12 month cash flow and give you the most diverse line of warm weather products.

Old 09-21-2002, 12:10 PM
Pro Rider

Yamaha and Polaris flip from time to time on total units sold they are very close.

Old 09-21-2002, 12:40 PM
Pro Rider

I wonder how the Predator will affect that. They have made it sound good but I guess only time will tell. At least it will give the diehard brand loyal Polaris people a true sport quad. I'm sure Honda will put out another sport quad but facts are facts and in the racing world they are still holding their own. Even the local races around here still have lots of 400EXs taking wins but the Cannondales are starting to make life rough on them. The Raptors and DS's just can't compete in the ATV Rodeos and mx races.

Old 09-21-2002, 08:12 PM
The Facility

Region sales number vary greatly.

In the South, for instance, ATVing is a year round thing. We have no seasons. The weather is great year round. We sell just as many soportquads in the winter than we do during the spring and summer months. Utility sales also stay the same year round except for a peak month which is usually October or November.

Most people see their local area as the "measuring stick" nation wide, but it is hardly ever true unless your area coincidently is the nation wide average.

Old 09-22-2002, 10:00 AM
Pro Rider

I need to move further south. We can ride most of time but when the deep snows hit the sport quad has to stay in the shop.

Old 09-24-2002, 01:07 PM
Pro Rider

When i talked to my dealer he said he is lookin for a new sport to be released next year as a 2004 from teh info he got at the dealer show. He said that it will not be the CRF 450 engine though, he is lookin for it to be the XR650 engine. I dunno nothing about it i am just going by what he said.

Quick Reply: Here's What the Dealer Told me About the New Honda.