Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400ex performed well in drag races!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2002, 12:08 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400ex performed well in drag races!

I see what kinds of mods the Z400's had but what about the 400EX's, were they stock and doing this well or did they also have mods?

Old 10-09-2002, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider

The Z has more HP than the EX, plain and simple. So, YES, with equal riders the Z will WIN EVERYTIME (assuming the other variables are equal as well, ie. traction ect.)! A piped/jetted/filtered EX is now close to the hp of the Z. So now the gap closes, so rider is going to be much more important. However, the Z still has a little more HP than the EX. No one has to prove the EX's worthy. It has been proven over the years, however, things have changed a little now.

How does anyone really know just how good the other rider really is, anyway? I'm a "capable" drag racer, but the truth is I suck with take off with the manual clutch. I'm getting better, though! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

And, YES, the Z is a "better" quad, IMO. Why? For the same price you get: 1) REVERSE 2) liquid cooling 3) BRAKE Light 4) More power 5) More comfortable seat 6) Quicker reving motor 7) dual overhead cams 8) more HP potential 9) Easier clutch pull 10) Something not everyone else has

The only reason why there are so many EX's racing and what you see sea's of at the local spot is because they were the only "true" sport quad out for quite sometime. This gave everyone a chance to get the hot thing out. Not excluding the Banshee, however. But, the EX handles much better than the Banshee, so a wise racing choice. Although, I would bet any amount of money if the EX came out the same time as the Raptor, Z, or Cannondale you would not see anywhere near the amount of them as you do. Unless you can get a great deal on an EX why would anyone buy one? Because it's a Honda? Give me a break, if that is your response. It's reliable! That's bunch of crap to me. The EX's might "hold their own", but not in the big picture of things. Not anymore. Not if you ask me, that is. I do like the EX, don't get me wrong. A very good friend of mine owns one and I ride it quite often. He's talked about selling it to get a Z, but has changed his mind because he will not get anywhere near the amound of money out of it that he has put in. I bet the reason most EX riders are hanging onto them. All's I'm trying to say is that there are newer, better quads out now. If that is what you want, you will HAVE to sell the EX. Face the facts. Or the facts of my opinion, that is. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-09-2002, 12:18 AM
Pro Rider

coolhuh,
You have one of each! What are your findings? They are both piped, too, I see.

Old 10-09-2002, 12:30 AM
Trailblazer

I have quiet a bit of time on both and I prefer the Z400. I feel it has a little power advantage and I like the handling of it better. I thought the EX handled better at first, until I got use to the Z, now I choose the Z for handling. Now I don't even ride the Ex's any more. The Z to me is an all out better machine and it has water cooling and reverse on top of that. My wife also agrees with me, even though she likes her EX.

Old 10-09-2002, 01:42 AM
Pro Rider

So you have to pipe/filter/jet a 400ex to match the power of a Z? COme on. It is right in Dirtwheels(or 4wheel action, I dotn have it in front of me) They dyno'd them and the Z had 1-2 more HP, thats it! That is hardly anything and just on that little amount of difference you cant say the Z would win everytime! That is ludacris(sp?)!!!!! Where is your proof? HAve you had both machines side by side with equal riders and have done the testing?

Dont you think it is a little ridiculous that it took Suzuki 4 years to come out with competitor to the 400ex? And to top it off, the chassis is almost a duplicate of the EX! And to add one more thingThey step it up a notch by adding liquid cooling and DOHC, but only get 1-2 measily HP more than the 400!!!!!! Seems to me to be a feeble attempt at competing!

I think history will repat itself and the Z will be in the shadows along with all the other companys sorry attempts to compete with Honda! Call me brand loyal if you will! I admit, I have been a Honda man since I started riding 17 years ago! Right now I own a 250X and this is my second one. I have owned a Suzuki and a Kaw, but always went back to Honda. Right now I am debating about buying a new quad and yes I am thinking of buying a 400EX.. I have thought about buying a different brand, but the only other quad that I would think of goign with on the market today is a Raptor!

Maybe since Suz copied the 400ex they may have a better shot this time around at holding on to some part of the spot light for a while, but the majority of that light will be on Honda and always has! Honda just knows how to make a great quad.

And as far as you stating that it is time to face the facts of your opinion, it is just all opinion without any facts! I am not trying to single you out, I am just tired of seeign all this BS about these companies coming out with new quads to compete with Honda and they all get lost in the shadows while Honda reigns on! And hey, maybe Suz is cahnging history and taking the reigns for a little while, but I highly doubt it! History always seems to repeat itself. And no matter what anyone comes out with, tops riders choose Honda(or quad based on a Honda)!!!!!! Face that fact! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-09-2002, 02:25 AM
Pro Rider

Actually in my experience, 300-500 ft race a piped/jetted/filtered 400ex with a 60 lb. weight advantage was slower than a stock Z-400. No big deal, no brag just plain old facts. Same two quads, 400ex ran off and left me in the woods but all due to 400ex rider superiority in my case. My old, 240 lb butt couldn't keep up even with the faster Suzuki. Any way we tried it drag racing, the Z was faster. Buy what you want it's your money. In a couple of years if Honda comes up with a better quad in that class, and I'm still able to sport ride as I do now, I would buy it for sure! As of the summer of 2002, {when I dove into the sport quad market} the Z-400 is the best quad available. I really slightly prefer Hondas, but the Z-400 was superior enough to get my money. I was caught up a bit in the "newness" thing with the Z as I wanted to be different as 400exs are plentiful around here, but I am very happy with my choice! I get a little happier every time a younger, lighter guy tries me and my Z in an impromptu speed race! It's the only place I can whip them![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 10-09-2002, 05:19 AM
Elite Pro Rider

1 or 2 hp will make a big difference although it is greater than that. Don't fool yourself. A 400 ex is nice and does everthing well, the new Z400 is better in all catagories and more. That is the way it is and does not require a college degree to see that. Quit grabbing at straws. Do not buy a 400 ex thinking you are going to out drag a Z400 and do not buy the Z thinking you will out drag a rappy. The only place they are even is sitting still on the starting line. Equal riders on all three and the difference is there in 50 feet.

Old 10-09-2002, 11:24 AM
RIP Dear Friend

Originally posted by: 14mins
The only place they are even is sitting still on the starting line.
LOL[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

That could be the best line in the whole post and the most truthful.

Chet
VP Knowsalot Facility

Old 10-09-2002, 11:52 AM
Pro Rider

Well, drag racing is different and I hardly ever do it. But here's one for you.. My bro had a 2001 400ex bine stock. Another firend of mine had a Piped Banshee(98 or so)... They dragged quite a few times one day and were pretty neck and neck! Both are good riders also(both have raced for many years)! I know I'll get tons of flaming responses over htis one, flame on, it is true!

On another note, look at the Z and EX engines. The Z adds Liquid cooling, DOHC and reverse. I dont care about reverse so that doesn't tickle my fancy any. But look at the specs on the two engines. Everyone says there is more HP potenial in the Z. I dont see this as being true. The EX has a compression ratio of 9.0:1 , there is a few steps to move up there. The Z has a comp of 11.0:1, thats a little high for stock and you dont have much room to move. The DOHC thing doesn't excite me. The Mojaves had it but they weren't tearing up the race seen at all and making anymore power than their counterparts. So the high compression off the bat is were Suzuki gets their extra HP or two. Hondas aren't that high and have room to move. And the Hondas wold probably make more power at the smae compression at the Suz since they are so close at the moment. And by the way, 4wheel action did post a HP graph from their dyno runs.

As far as the 1-2 hp making alot of difference, rider ability would make more of a difference. 1-2 hp probably is hardly noticeable!

And who is grabbing at straws? You try to post humorous comments and hope people will dig you fancy, lame comment posts.

Old 10-09-2002, 12:36 PM
Trailblazer

Hows this then, My stock bore 400ex was beating piped/carbed banshees, few piped raptors/ds's out in Silver Lake last july.... on 92 octane as well[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: 400ex performed well in drag races!