Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

To Res. or not to Res.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2002, 02:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Res. or not to Res.

Hey the only stupid question is the one you don't ask right? With that in mind...

I have heard people say that you shouldn't use the ON setting on your (I have a 2000 Recon), that you should always turn it to Res. The reason given was water in the gas. That because water settings to the bottom of the tank if you run in ON all the time your res. nipple will end up with all the water at it. So if you would have to switch over you'd be putting nothing but water into the eng.

Now this strikes me as a bit odd, and I would think this would apply only to a quad that is going to be stored for a long time, but in that case shouldn't you drain the gas anyway???

Thanks for reply's!

Old 10-10-2002, 03:02 PM
RIP Dear Friend

rottielover,

I have never heard that one.

I only use reserve when its needed.

I do turn the handle to the reserve position every once in a while just to keep it loose.

If that be the case, the water is just going to go into the float bowl. If your afraid of water being in your tank when it gets low sign a flashlight in the tank and you will see it.

Take your fuel from clean container and never empty that container completely into your tank.

As far as storage I use sta-bile in the tank and have never had a storage or fuel related problem.

Chet
VP Knowsalot Facility

Old 10-10-2002, 04:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank's for the reply!

Since you use Sta-Bil, can you use HEET as well to get water out?

What about mixing those two products? IE you poor in case from a can that had sta-bil in it from months ago, and discover you had a water problem???

I am also wondering about gumout. Thanks!

Old 10-10-2002, 04:56 PM
RIP Dear Friend

I would say that would be OK, but I wouldn't put the whole bottle of heet in the Recon tank.

I haven't used heet in a long time but they usually have it measured to where its for approx. 20 gallons.

So you need to measure it down to the Recons couple of gallons tank size.

Chet
VP Knowsalot Facility

Old 10-10-2002, 04:59 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remember too, if you run on reserve, when you run out you are out.

Old 10-10-2002, 09:06 PM
Pro Rider

I would only run in the on position as your reserve is just that-your in case of emergency supply. Like previously mentioned I too run it in reserve for a little bit to keep things freed up. A good thing to carry with you is a couple bottles of gas line anti-freeze, the little ones they sell in packs of three or six. A half bottle of that in a full fuel tank is lots and will take care of any water you might get in your fuel.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-12-2002, 02:11 PM
Range Rover

I totally agree. Just this last Monday I headed out to the woods behind my house to go bow hunting. I totally forgot I had switched over to reserve a while back so I didn't have a full tank. I parked my Honda a little way from my tree stand and hunted all morning. When I went to leave, it would turn over and fire, but immediately die. After trying and trying (this doesn't sound like the way my quad usually acts) I opened the gas cap and the tank was bone dry. Can you imagine that, I ran out of gas parking the stupid thing! Fortunately it was less than half a mile back to the house so I walked back home and brought back a small can of gas to get me out of the woods. I'll be sure to be more careful next time.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 10-12-2002, 03:09 PM
RIP Dear Friend

I can see how you could forget about gas riding a '95 Honda 300 4x4 (bored .10 over).

I can't remember the last time I put gas in our 98 300 4x4.

They are so easy on fuel its easy to forget.

Chet
VP Knowsalot Facility

Old 10-12-2002, 03:33 PM
Range Rover

Yeah, it's nice not to have to lug a gas can around like the big boys. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] With my extra wide Dirt Devils I don't have to worry about getting stuck, either.
Now, does anyone have a 424 Select that they want to sell cheap? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-12-2002, 03:51 PM
RIP Dear Friend

Jerms,

I wouldn't give are 300 4x4 up for nothing. It will go anywhere I need it to go and maybe its not as fast as the big boys I always end up at the end of the trail with every one else.

The only thing I have added to it is a fan that I can turn on to run air over the cooling fins when its really hot in the summer.

It will go all day without hitting reserve.

Ours has approx 375 hours on it and its never been back to the dealer.

Chet
VP Knowsalot Facility

Quick Reply: To Res. or not to Res.