Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

honda what?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2002, 04:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default honda what?

Jeroboam7, it seems as though you chose to buy a 400ex because you feel it is more reliable. That's pretty much one of the points I am making. Why would a person buy an inferior machine because it is more reliable??? I understand that to you having a machine that you feel is more reliable is more important than one that performs well, is modern and has more features. Buyer's choice - it's your money.
l
About 400exs sitting at the bottom of the dunes... I'm willing to bet that you ride in Silver Lake or Little Sahara, OK or other dunes that don't have any really big hills???? I know that because you feel that the 400ex gets around just fine. It doesn't . I have NEVER once seen a 400ex climb Chokecherry hill at St. Anthony dunes, ID. In fact even Raptors and DS650s have a tough time with that hill. I have seen a video of a Z400 making it up though.... Face it, a 400ex is underpowered by todays standards and does not have the hop-up potential as the current breed of modern 4 stroke engines. Period.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the 400ex - I am saying that it's day has come and gone; it has been surpassed by better machines. My issue is with HONDA getting left behind and people that STILL buy 400exs are not helping to force Honda to produce a better machine.

Your comment about the Raptor making up for a lack of rider skills makes no sense. Either a machine can climb a hill or it can't. Besides, It doesn't take that much skill to climb a 400' sand dune but it DOES take a lot of power..

Old 10-18-2002, 01:08 AM
Trailblazer
Default honda what?

Wyoduner,

I guess I don't see the 400EX as out-of-date nor do I see were the Z400 has anymore potentential for pruducing useable horsepower. There is nothing on a Z400 that hasn't been around on various other Atvs for the last 17 to 18 years. I have been watching the Z400 and 400EX in the same conditions and I don't see this huge difference. As far as being out of date isn't that banshee of yours running an engine design that is 20 yrs old, with the addition of watercooling in 87, making the banshee engine itself 15 yrs old, you would think Yamaha would have made some updates in 15 yrs, its people like you that STILL buy banshees and not forcing Yamaha to update! I'm just kidding about the banshee thing in fact I'm looking for a decent one, and no I'm not selling the 400EX either!

I am thinking about coming out your way in the spring and running that old 3 wheeler up choke cherry a couple of times! Maybe you would be able to find it in your heart to meet up with some of us Nebraska hicks and riding with us and our out-of-date machines.

P.S. The only truly inovative atv company that I see is Cannondale the rest are just re-allocating known and proven technology!

Old 10-18-2002, 01:54 PM
Pro Rider
Default honda what?

I think the main reason that Honda does not offer 2-4wd shift on all 4x4 models, fast belt drive auto and other options, (Dry sump oil etc...) is because they are trying to market their machines as the most reliable out of the box. To me and many other Honda owners, this means much more than being the fastest, coolest looking, biggest, best riding... Looks, speed, ride quality and electronics will not get you home when your broke down.

What happens when your 20 miles back in bog land and your electronic 4wd actuator gives up the ghost? Your comming out of the woods in 2wd through spots where 4wd barely made it through. Same for damn belt drives when the clutch is worn, belt case seals leak or case is punctured... except that your not moving at all. Not very reliable. Since when will a bike break down loading on the trailer at your house? Not often.

The way I see it Honda is going to be the 1 manafacturer that offers the 1970 Ford Bronco of quads. Rough around the edges, not all the options and comforts, but will be virtually bullett proof and go anywhere. My 450s is fully manual, even the warn 424 kit follows this motto. Worst that can happen if electronics get troublesom is I loose my speedo and clock!! Wet clutch wears? Simple adjustment with supplied tool kit. Do you carry spare solenoids, wire repair kit, spare coolant, belt drier outer?? I don't and don't have too.

In the 4 years I have owned this bike, it has not let me down once, in all the situations I have put it through. More than I can say for my freinds riding other manfacturers products. If Honda joins the band wagon and starts building quads with all the electrinic gizmos, then there will be nowhere to turn to for a solid reliable ride.

Old 10-18-2002, 03:41 PM
Pro Rider
Default honda what?

Action450s, Actually I agree with the KISS principle to a degree. You are a utility rider and I am a sport rider but I can relate nonetheless. My Banshee is based on technology at least 20 years old - older actually going back to the Yamaha RD/RZ bikes which I remember from the late 70's. BTW, my Banshee has never even hiccupped in the 3 years I've had it - I ride it pretty hard and rev the hell out of it in the dunes. Utility ATVs have a lot more hardware and possibilities for failure and that's where I can understand where you are coming from. On the other hand modern cars are FULL of computerized gizmos and go for hundreds of thousands of miles with little more than tune-ups.... Technology can be reliable.

Jeroboam7, without beating the subject to death - You are right - I do ride the most dated machine still in production. It's also the machine with e potential to make the most power.

I guess we all have our reasons for buying a quad - I want power, you want reliability and we all want to have fun.

About St. Anthony. I'm always happy to meet up with people and hit the dunes - even Honda riders. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

You drive right by Cheyenne on your way there. Next summer let me know when you plan to go and I'll do the same. Seriously, though - the Tri-Z will love it there. The 400ex will love it too but there are hills it won't climb - but there's almost always around the biggest hills to get where you're going.

In case you haven't , check my site for a lot of pics and videos from St. Anthony.