Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rincon got slammed by DW Mag shootout!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2002, 07:39 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rincon got slammed by DW Mag shootout!

I guess I'm not sure what you mean Dangerous. I don't see the word dweeb in my post and won't be trying to catch up all I need to do is look over.

Old 10-21-2002, 08:05 PM
Pro Rider

Did you notice in the front of the magazine they also said that Honda is going to race the Rincon in the Baja 1000 to show its reliability, its going to be a full on factory support, I would rather see them do GNC or GNCC before they do the Baja 1000, but I guess its a step in the right direction.

Old 10-21-2002, 08:52 PM
Pro Rider

I am a true blue 650 owner (er, red in my case?) and I rode a Rincon around and even got myslef in a little trouble with it. Although I am not selling my 650 to get the rincon, I have to say that I really liked the overall machine.

I can fix the skids (aftermarket). No biggy.
I don't care about the 1/4 mile. The rincon had enough pep for me. No biggy.
A Rincon owner took me on a nasty steep slope. His brakes worked fine. You just adjust your braking habits for it. No biggy.

The lack of mud churning umph plays a big factor for me, but if I didn't need that, I feel the rincon would be a great machine.

I also believe that the Dirtwheels test was quite objective. They measured stuff. Now the overall vote is subjective, since it depends on the importance placed on each characteristc. You can't really criticise it, you can disagree. But I would not call the article off base at all.

You honda owners just go buy yourslef a Rincon and enjoy it. They are great, I'm sure you will love it. Don't loose any sleep about who has the best this or that.

Old 10-21-2002, 09:15 PM
Pro Rider

OSTIE:
Hi how are you? Alot better than I am...now that I'm a jerk. I do have alot of friends that would say otherwise...but I'd say they are all jerks as well.HaHa! By the way what "dangerous" said about us "dweeb" riders was in reference to the dirt-wheels article saying the Kawi looked "dweebish-like",I can accept that...By the way I also think the Rincon looks way nicer. BUT!!! Power, speed, acceleration,brakes ,locker,torque...that is another matter altogether. I do think that the Kawi is FAR superior in all these and more. The Rincon rides better from what I have read but I bet the Tires help alot..even though IRS is smoother I admit. I have not rode a Rincon,so anything I say is What I've read in regards to it's performance. YOU are the 3rd person I have read about that has stated that the Rincon is equal to the Kawi in speed...I have read alot of accounts contrary to that by owners themselves. Accounts of Grizz660,Pol700 and Kawi650's eating the Rincon,are quite plentiful. Now DIRT WHEELS confirms this...something I believed all along SORRY if I take a little pleasure in that. I never really slammed the Rincon...I just said it wasn't so mighty. A guy on Highlifter dyno'ed his Rincon and got 25.8 RWHP...all the other big bores are 30+ RWHP...so to me the Rincon is not that mighty. Also accounts of it having trouble spinning large aftermarket tires are starting to climb. I am merely stating the facts as I see them. The Rincon is a nice machine no doubt about it. But it's over priced and underfeatured , how can you or anyone argue that? Honda as the undisputed sales leader owes it to their customer base to offer the best if they are to remain the best...With the failure of a new sport quad,and the Rincon's inability to compete against the other big bores out there...I see this as a slap in the face to it's customers. I for one do NOT believe Hondas ads as being "THE BEST ON EARTH". Maybe you do. An awfull lot of Rincon owners have been kind of quiet on the forums...I wonder why? You yourself on ThursdayAug 29 said you were going riding with your buddies with P650's. You were going to drag race and compare...you said to stay tuned...I DID...and I never seen your results ANYWHERE...I looked , as I was interested in the results myself. Maybe you forgot?

ROB

Old 10-21-2002, 09:32 PM
Pro Rider

From ATV Connection
Originally posted by: ostie
kawirob, Hate to tell ya but sounds like dw is full of opinionated crap. I rode with 6 p650's 2 weeks ago and these machines are dead nuts even in speed on asphalt in a straight race.
From High Lifter
DW is full of crap, I raced a P650 2weeks ago on asphalt and we were even the whole way. His speedo said 65, mine said 62 and the gps said 60.
I guess that leaves the Rinny as a "dead nut" too huh? What about the other five Prairies?

Old 10-21-2002, 10:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

He he, well, you guys are so funny. The machine I'v got, is, and always will be, the fastest, baddest to the bone four wheeler ever made. Period. End story. What have I got, you say? I've got a Honda Foreman ES. Why is it the fastest and baddest? Because it's mine, of course. Your's is the fastest and baddest too,,, its yours, thats why. Ostie, I looked at it (the Rinc), but decided that it was just a little too much dough. If I have had all the dough, sure. So instead, I bought the fastest and the baddest. I don't care what the guys in "Dirtwheels" say. Should I decide my purchase based on what they are writing? Of course not. You do some serious reseach, and try out the machines, and pick the one you like, and the one you, you, decide is a solid machine based on YOUR research.
Ya'll have fun on your 4x4's and be careful not to hurt yourself or others.

Old 10-21-2002, 10:52 PM
Pro Rider

I'm getting sick of the Rincon bashing too. Now I can add that to the Polaris bashing that I hear all the time. Fact is, I was on that ride with Ostie, and truth be told there wasn't a P650 there that I couldn't have t-boned or passed or rear ended at any point that I wanted to. Just as much take off power, and once rolling, I think the Rincon is more responsive than the PVT. The brakes are awesome, it starts with a TINY tap of the starter button after sitting 5, 10, even 30 minutes at trailside breaks. I could jump off of obstacles in the trail like nothing, cross ruts, wheelie out of holes whatever. It literally RAILS around corners, and when I wanted to it would ROOST around corners.

No it doesn't have a locker

No it doesn't have disc brakes up front

No it doesn't have the explosive low range power of my SP

No it doesn't have a belt to squeak, adjust, break or run out of adjustment. (mine broke one)

No it doesn't have sheaves to wear out (Mine did on the SP as has at least one P650 here )

BUT, I rode it, washed it and it's ready to go. Next time I ride with Dirty White Boy (Bob) I will make it a point to swap rides with him so he can experience the Rincon, and I can experience the Prairie in a real world situation...

Old 10-22-2002, 12:11 AM
Range Rover

kawirob,

You said it all when you said you haven't ridden a Rincon. I'm not doing a " my uncles brothers cousin said " crap. You read other accounts, I was on the Rincon next to the prairie. You know it's funny, you come on the Honda forum with the statement
Any surprises? ALL HAIL THE KING OF BEASTS...THE AWSOME KAWI P650!!! Congradulations to the Grizz as well...for kicking sand in the face of the not so mighty RINCON!!!
and you didn't expect to have someone call you on it. Give me a break!
Than you come back with
...By the way I also think the Rincon looks way nicer. BUT!!! Power, speed, acceleration,brakes ,locker,torque...that is another matter altogether. I do think that the Kawi is FAR superior in all these and more
How do you know the power, speed, acceleration and torque are better? You've never been on one. I'm not saying that the Prairie isn't better than the Rincon in some of those catagorys (brakes and locker for sure), but you really don't know it first hand to be spouting off about it.
You've got a great machine (my second choice), why not leave it at that. I've never said one is better than the other, I know the short comings of my Rincon and I know the short comings of your P650 (they all have them you know).
And for your info I don't feel like I got a slap in the face from Honda, I love my Rincon and I could care less what you or anyone else thinks.

Your correct, I was going to give a report on the Rincon and how it compared to the P650, unfortunately Dirty white boy and I were unable to hook up that weekend. So, I didnt forget, I had no info to offer.

MuddHound,

It's obvious you missunderstood my post. The readings of 65, 62 and 60 were as we were riding side by side. My point was how different our speedometers were reading even though we were traveling at the same rate of speed. As far as the other Prairies, they decided not to join in, I don't think they feel real comfortable traveling that fast.

Buy the machine that fits your taste and have fun, bash another machine just because it doesn't fit your taste and you sound like a jerk.

Enjoy the ride [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-22-2002, 12:22 AM
Pro Rider

... I was going to give a report on the Rincon and how it compared to the P650, unfortunately Dirty white boy and I were unable to hook up that weekend. So, I didnt forget, I had no info to offer.

MuddHound,

It's obvious you missunderstood my post. The readings of 65, 62 and 60 were as we were riding side by side. My point was how different our speedometers were reading even though we were traveling at the same rate of speed. As far as the other Prairies, they decided not to join in, I don't think they feel real comfortable traveling that fast.

Buy the machine that fits your taste and have fun, bash another machine just because it doesn't fit your taste and you sound like a jerk.

Enjoy the ride [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Actually I did understand your post very well, however on this forum you are calling the Prairies "dead nuts" even though you admit you have not dragged one all out. I merely quoted those to snips to point out what you said on the two seperate forums.

Old 10-22-2002, 12:41 AM
Pro Rider

Cant we all just get along???

hey its really simple,
If you ride a machine hard, sport ride, want to tear *** through a tight trail, jump, haul wheelies mud and pull a 1000 pound trailer, weel get a prairie. No comparison in that aspect.

If you are looking for a great ride, proven reliability, tractable power great all day powerline riding machine, get the Rincon. No comparison in that aspect either.

Someone said they wouldnt have to replace belts or sheeves.. Well all us rubber band owners will never have to replace a torque convertor or full tranny unit at the tune of 1500$. Buy allot of belts, and considering I have 1900 miles on my original belt... hmmm.

I just know what happens to a torque converters when towing heavy loads.... Any guys out there put some big mudders on a truck with an auto and not change the gearing? yup 20k mile disposable tranny's. Guess thats why Semi's dont run autos.

Everything has its place, thats why we have a choice. Yeah mine is more powerfull, but yours rides better. Its all what YOU are looking for.

Hell If I were rich, I would have 1 of everything. The last thing someone wants or needs to hear is their new 7 or 8 grand quad is junk.

Quick Reply: Rincon got slammed by DW Mag shootout!