Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

300ex for MX

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2002, 07:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 300ex for MX

I was wondering how a 300ex is for motocross because me and a couple of friends want to start a motocross team. Out town has a dirtbike motocross team but not for quads. Well back to the subject now, would the shocks have to be tightened all the way or just a knotch or two? My other friends have a Mojave, Blaster, Warrior, and another 300ex. How would those quads do in motocross. What are the nescesary requirements to do motocross? Just nerfbars, boots, and the thing where you have your key tied to you?

Old 11-11-2002, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider
Default 300ex for MX

For MX the 300ex front shocks are very soft. You will bottom out with any more than 4-5 ft of air with flat landing. The requirements will be a tether kill switch, and number plates. Nerfs arent required but are a good idea. It should be able to hit turns faster than the blaster or warrior but lacks the power to be competative against a 400ex or raptor. Racing against warriors, blasters and mojaves, the 300ex would be the best for mx in stock form.

Old 11-11-2002, 10:10 PM
Range Rover
Default 300ex for MX

I don't recommand any of those quads for racing. They simply don't have enough power to win or even to get to the middle of the pack. Especially because your quad is stock it will be even tougher. The blaster might not be bad as long as the mx track you plan to attend has a blaster class. Unless your riding in pure mud you really don't stand a chance. Now, if you are just lookin to have a great time go ahead. I had a lot of fun racin my 300ex but I now want to become faster and better this is why my 300ex is for sale.

Old 11-12-2002, 12:46 PM
Pro Rider
Default 300ex for MX

First things first....The guys that answered may be correct on their views however they have to understand that different tracks have different rules, classes, etc.

Anyway Jay, you are in the right area (Mass.) for quad racing in New Englad. WWW.NEATV-MX.COM races in Southwick, Mass and East Lempster, NH (and planning some races in NY next year).

And Guess what....You can run your 300ex and be competitive.

While it's true that the 300 would be underpowered in the class with the 400ex's, Z400's, and Cannondales, NEATV-MX has a 300cc class. It's open to 91-300cc Air Cooled 2 & 4 stroke machines so all your buddies except the Warrior qualify. As far as how well your 300ex would do....If all the bikes were stock the 300 would probably be one of the best all around bikes to run, but I'd imagine you'll see a lot of modded blasters in there which will beat you when it comes to power. However, in MX it almost all comes down to rider skill/experience. I'm guessing that most of the people in that class will be Novice-Amateurs so even with a stock 300ex you should be able to compete with a lot of the riders out there.

People can disagree all they want, but I have a few buddies that race down there and they prove that rider skill is more important than having a faster machine. One of my buddies finished 2nd in the Novice class on his stock 400ex and he said that a lot of the other guys were running faster/more modded machines. He also missed 2 out of the 8 races!!! Something else that impresses me is that he also ran in the Open class against Banshee's and Raptors and other faster machines. He finished 5th for the season in that class.

Another buddy of mine races in the Expert class on a BONE STOCK 400ex. He finished 3rd for the season in the OPEN EXPERT class and 5th in the 4-stroke expert class. That is amaizing in my opinion.

As for what you will need...You will need a tether kill switch, nerf bars, boots, gloves and of course a helmet and goggles. You will also need to cover your headlights or remove them. That should be it.

Check out the site for more info man.

-Josh

Old 11-12-2002, 07:04 PM
Pro Rider
Default 300ex for MX

First above anything, get some shocks. I have done some MX with my 300EX and I came away with both foot protectors broken, and the engine case had broken when I cased it on a step up. But I think I was hurt most of all from all the landings, I had fun though, and was keeping up pretty well with a modded 400EX, but I have been riding for 12 going on 13 years, so experience played a part, although I had never been to a MX track. Good Luck.

Old 11-12-2002, 07:24 PM
Pro Rider
Default 300ex for MX

Thanks guys. I'm not really that serious just kinda want to fool around and try it out. I also want an excuse for my dad to buy me nerf bars. Anyway, thanks for the feedback and that guy with a bone stock 400ex placing 5th sounds like and amazing rider. And how hard did you case it to have the engine case break?

Old 11-13-2002, 03:26 PM
Pro Rider
Default 300ex for MX

My quad should be all the proof that you need that you can race MX with a 300EX/250X.

Old 11-13-2002, 04:17 PM
Pro Rider
Default 300ex for MX

How much money do you have in that 250x. I know you have the powroll premium package but what else do ya have and what is the total cost

Old 11-13-2002, 07:04 PM
Pro Rider
Default 300ex for MX

I actually didnt know I had broke the case until a week later. I didnt think I had cased it that hard and thought nothing of it, so I got home and left it in the garage for a week and when I went out to ride it I saw a big puddle of oil on the ground, my dad thinks it had a little to do with my skid plate and how it hit, well anyways I am finally getting to go back to the track this weekend, I am going to watch my uncle and cousin, I might take my 300EX, we'll see. Speaking of my cousin, he wins the amatuer class on a stock XR200!! So anything is possible.

Old 11-13-2002, 08:58 PM
Pro Rider
Default 300ex for MX

It's not the Powroll Premium package but it has everything the premium one has short of a stroker and the carb. I've got other things like +1mm valves and the head ported.

Here's what I can think of off the top of my head.... FST288 kit with 11:1 piston, FST oil cooler, head milled .006, megacycle cam .336 intake and exhaust, +1mm valves, ported head, stiffer valve springs, 350X air intake boot, Powroll Supertrapp 3" exhaust, UNI air filter.... as for the the rest of the bike.... Maier Race cut black plastic, N-Style graphics, Nac's Numberplates, Maier Kill teather, Moose grips, Moose handlebars, Steel braded brake lines, SBS brake pads, RAD Dual row bearing carrier, durablue eliminator 2+2 rear axle, Sunstar sprockets, D.I.D. chain, Works quadstar rear shock with rezzies, Works dual rates up front with rezzies, 250R A-Arms (makes it +2 front end), 400EX tires and a 14T front sprocket.

Some of this stuff I don't have in my pics yet because I'm stripping my quad down and going through it from the ground up. Stuff like the rezzies on the front shocks I'm in the process of doing and will be done shortly. I know I'm forgetting some stuff but thats all I can think of right now.

All in all I'd have to say I have about $8k invested into my quad if you include all my engines.