Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400ex Crap!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2002, 01:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400ex Crap!

Originally posted by: JakalWarrior
that could cost alot, there are 12 head cover bolts and tons of other ones. Honda seems to like to use a ton of little weak bolts instead of a few big strong ones like yammy. I told him before ill even consider helping working on it, he has to get all new head bolts. Any ideas on how to get the one out that broke off inside? It was one of those really long ones that go way down inside the head [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Probably 5 inches long. Im trying to figure out of theres a way without taking the head off again.

Why cant it be like my warrior engine? lol. It reminds me of a harley engine or a american car engine. Everything is big and its not compact. It would actually be a big motor if the stroke wasnt so short. Get into that 400ex engine and I feel like im playing with with a compact easily breakable swiss watch or something.
yeah,it might cost alot but look where u are now,NEVER EVER take short cuts on a quad.take it from someone who has ended up doing more work in the end.

Old 12-29-2002, 04:50 AM
Pro Rider
Default 400ex Crap!

I agree with Mr350X
Dennis, you should have thought about what your were typing before you pressed "Reply to Thread"

JaMeS

Old 12-29-2002, 01:23 PM
Pro Rider
Default 400ex Crap!

LisaG,

If your friends warrior falls apart all the time then something is wrong with him or he bought a ragged out POS. There are warriors running around that have never been rebuilt and were old when the 400ex came out. And if he got beat by a lakota somone needs to teach him to drive. As for 400ex being better..... it costs 400 bucks more, has no reverse, and has no new technology in it. The only edge it has on a warrior is better handling, touch lighter, and 5 more hp. But then its made for MX, and a warrior is made for the woods. And im sure you can clear up the 5hp with the 400 dollar difference. Besides, why would I buy a 400ex when I can have a z400? Its faster, has reverse, and more engine potential. Why dont all the 400ex owners have z400s? because when you buy a new fourwheeler thats just a starting point, the rest is all up to you and how much you want to spend, going back to a stocker would be a downgrade, and you would lose money.

Besides, if we all rode the same thing it would get pretty boring.

Old 12-29-2002, 03:07 PM
Pro Rider
Default 400ex Crap!

JackalWarrior, WOW. I didnt know stock warriors came with 23-24 HP!!! Wait, oops... nope. Your wrong.
Stock they are only around 17-18. 400's are around 27-29. 400EX, 374 lbs. Warrior? somewhere over 400 lbs.

After reading your post, ive come to the conclusion that you have never ridden a 400EX, and are basing your opinion on
what you have heard, read.. ect.

I have owned TWO 400EX's at different times over the last couple of years. My best ridding buddy ownes a 01' Warrior.

Please DO NOT think of the 400EX as a Warrior PLUS $400.00 The 400EX is a 250R with a 4 stroke motor in it.
It would take MUUUUUUUCH more than 400 bucks to make the Warrior equal the EX in performance, in both suspention, and power.

Matter of fact, it couldnt be done with any amount of money, suspention wise.

Not saying the Warrior isnt a good machine, but it is not meant for the same type of riding as the 400EX/250R.
(not in the same league)

-Matt

Old 12-29-2002, 04:57 PM
Trailblazer
Default 400ex Crap!

i personally have never liked honda cars or atvs i fix cars for a living and i hat working on hondas there so fragile.*** for the atvs there fine when there not broken but a nightmare to repair.

Old 12-29-2002, 06:43 PM
Pro Rider
Default 400ex Crap!

keep telling yourself a 400ex has 27 (maybe at the crank), more like 25 or 26....., and a warrior has between 18 and 20 depending on where you are and what motor you have (yamahas qualtiy control isint as good).
And I have ridden a 400ex a whole lot, my ridding buddy has one and thats what ive been riding (till it broke) while my engine is away (he used to ride my warrior when he had nothing, now the tables are turned). Its alright except it keeps getting stuck. I agree, as I said, they are made for completely different things. His highly modified 400ex dosent fair so well in the woods where we ride. Plenty of power but no ground clearance and it dosent climb very well because its so short. I didnt say anything about the suspension though, warriors suspensions is fine for what its made to do, as is a 400exs. Simple, warrior = woods, 400ex = mx. We will see how mine stacks up the the 440ex though after I get my engine back and get a new carb, im guessing ill kill him out of the hole because I have better traction and my bike is longer/less wheelie prone, but the 400ex will still take me a bit on the top because even though we will both be making around 30-32 hp (I thought he had more till I watched a bone stock Raptor take him on top end) him and his quad weigh less.

Old 12-29-2002, 08:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 400ex Crap!

One of the things I have found in working with various manufactures of all kinds of equipment is to expect the un-expected. Meaning; when removing critical parts of a unit that is held together with fasteners of the type discriped, replace with new. The other thing that you might keep in mind is what happens when dissimular materials are placed together. It is called galveninetnic re-action. Steel and Alumimum are prime canidates for this re-action. It causes things to sick together (or corrode) in place after a peroid of time. I see a lot of this on aircraft, boats and some on cycles. Depends on conditions units are exposed to etc:

As far as getting a broken bolt out of area that is un-accesable, take unit to quilified engine shop where they have the tools to remove the fastener in a proper maner without doing more damage.

Old 12-29-2002, 09:04 PM
Trailblazer
Default 400ex Crap!

lol i love the comments about people thinking that having reverse is so important.

Maybe you should learn to drive it correctly in forward ! haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Oh, wait.....i need reverse....what am I saying.........i need reverse when i plow my driveway. lol

Honda's weak...junk....? Let's see you keep up with me on my 250R......

Old 12-29-2002, 09:44 PM
Pro Rider
Default 400ex Crap!

Actually you need some kind of Lube on the Bolts to get the correct torque. I used to inspect fastners for a living and on a TORQUE TEST per any ASTM or MIL Spec we would use a graphite paste.

Smitty

Old 12-29-2002, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider
Default 400ex Crap!

Yes yes, put words in my mouth, I never bashed a 400ex except for the crappy bolts and people jump all over me and my machine. Dramatization: "Dude, that 2 dollar bolt on there is weak", "Oh yeah your whole machine sucks and your stupid!!" and yes you do need reverse for tight trails, ive had to push the 400ex backwards a long ways because the trail got to narrow and there was no room to turn around. How did we get so far off topic?
Anywho, unless UPS miracuosly drops my engine off tomorow, we are going to take off the header and cam chain tensioner then I think we can take that broken one out from the bottom. The stripped one, we are going to go to ace hardware and pick one the same length but a bit thicker and thread it to that...... Standard, I guess eventually as they break they will all be replaced with larger standard bolts.
Then we will go ride I guess, the thought of nearly frozen cold mud being flung past where the fenders are suposed and hitting me in the face sounds like tons of fun. BTW anyone have any red front 400ex fenders they would trade for some race cut ones?

Thnx for all the good info though,
I will try that graphite stuff when im working tomorow.

BTW warrior is like 397 lbs. (Massive stock bumper ,exhaust, and lights)

Quick Reply: 400ex Crap!