Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400ex Crap!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2002, 11:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400ex Crap!

I've rebuilt quite a few engines over the past few years and I've never run into any problems with bolts snapping off. Then again I don't use a torque wrench either. I've done enough of them that I can just feel when it's tight enough. Don't know how to explain it but that's how I do my engines and so far I have had zero problems. Personally I don't trust the torque wrenches that click, you have to calibrate them too often and it's just too much of a hassle for me. The ones with the dial aren't so bad but if you drop them you can throw them out of whack very easily. My question is are you sure you were doing the torque sequence correctly and drawing down EVENLY? It's possible to follow the torque sequence and not draw the surface down evenly, thus you can snap off bolts easily. The bolts are designed to snap before you are able to warp the surfaces. You just have to take everything into consideration.

Old 12-30-2002, 03:44 AM
Range Rover
Default 400ex Crap!

I get so sick of hearing of the Honda guys whine, everything they have to point to is there (1987 250r). I'm not the least brand loyal at all, I used to own a 250r too and I loved it. But to this day honda has got to come up with something descent, at least something that is competitve. It just seems like to me Honda does not give a crap about what people want. I was on the list for a Rubicon when they came out, and paid $7500.00 for one, I should have just bought the 500 h.o. How about a 4x4 with descent brakes and selectable 2wd 4wd? ( I better put this note in-I know the 450 and rancher's now come with selectable 4wd.)How about putting in a locker in the front? As soon as the Prairie 650 came out I tested it and this is what a utility/sport quad should be. I took a $2500.00 hit trading in the Rubicon, it was only 8 months old. As far as a sport quad, get real, Honda needs to come up better with something than the 400ex. I guess I most be the only stupid idiot out here who likes reverse, it sure would be nice to have reverse to back out of the trailer. I know I'll hear it from all the brand loyalists on this one. I've owned quads of just about every brand and I don't give a hoot on brand. Just give me what I want! DennisC

Old 12-30-2002, 04:19 AM
Pro Rider
Default 400ex Crap!

Dennis, my raptor is nosed into the shed and chained, and locked in first gear. i have to back it out every time, and if someoenes gonna steal it, they'll have to figure out how to get it out. by then, i've had time to get dressed, and decide on 12 gauge or AK47.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I would not be keen on pushing or pulling it out every time, plus i have to move it out first to get the blaster out...

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]