Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda Oil vs Valvoline ATV Oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2003, 01:50 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Honda Oil vs Valvoline ATV Oil

I was talking to a Valvoline Oil Representative Friday and ATV oil came up. I told him Honda recommended Honda GN4 with a SG certification. I told him I am goiing to start using Valvoline ATV Oil in my Rancher because of the friction modifiers for the auto clutch but still questioned running it in our Rubicon. All we have run in the Rubicon is Valvoline 10w40 and with 2800 miles and no troubles, it tough to change anything.

My friend told me the new Valvoline 4-stroke ATV oil is SG certified and is better for the Rubicon than what I am currently running. The main reason is a quote from Mike Guillory in another article I read.

Quote:
The Vanishing Zinc and Phosphorous

It is a fact than many SL oils now contain lower levels of ZDDP (the zinc/phosphorous extreme pressure additive) and that is a big concern to a lot of motorcyclists. ZDDP is a last resort protection against metal-to-metal contact. Whereas a few years ago the zinc level was typically 0.12% to 0.15% in SG automobile oils, some SL oils now have as little as 0.05%. However, this in itself may not be a problem since normal operation of a motorcycle on the street would never result in metal-to-metal contact any more than it would in your automobile. Remember these SL oils meet the most demanding protection requirements of modern, high-reving, powerful 4-stroke automobile engines (among others). And there is no reason to believe the lubrication requirements of street motorcycles is measurably different.

If you shop right, this oil may cost you around $2 a quart, 1/2 what GN4 sell for and is Valvoline, #1 choice of top mechanics.

I will be using Valvoline ATV Oil in both our Honda's.

Old 01-04-2003, 01:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Specta, so from the sounds of it, this valvoline ATV oil would be a good choice for my new Rincon...
I should hit the 100 mile mark this weekend and plan to give it it's first oil change.. Should I get
a case of this?? Also have 2 Rubicons up at the cabin that will be in need of oil changes in the spring..

Old 01-04-2003, 03:04 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cheeper by the case. Honda reccommends SG rated oil and this is. It will be in both my Rancher 4X4 EX and our Rubicon next oil change. I will use Valvoline 10w40 4-stroke ATV oil.

To me this is a good choice, it is what Honda reccommends and is less that the Honda "brand" oil.

Old 01-05-2003, 10:43 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oil is oil! Honda does not make oil. I use whatever is on sale 5,000 miles on my 450es and 1300 on my rubicon. I never had any problems with the rubicon the 450es had shifting problems not related to oil. It was that stupid electric shift.