Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

It's finally got a problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2000, 06:14 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a '98 Recon. I love it!...however, a problem has finally occured after 2.5 years of pretty hard riding.

When the choke is on, I can get the bike to go up to 3rd gear. When the engine is revved, it sounds as though it is starving for air. It's not the low, smooth rev of a four stroke, but almost like there's a clog in the carbeurator; which all the guys was sure that's what the problem is. We took off the carb, cleaned it, checked all the hoses, replaced the spark plug, cleaned the air filter...all to no avail. With the choke off, when I give the engine any gas at all, the engine just dies out. It WILL idle.

This problem occured a year ago at Talladega Nat Forest while going up a steep hill. After 10 weeks (I broke my collarbone while trying to keep the engine revved high enough to make it back to the truck)it was like the problem never happened. The dealership had it for one month, trying to duplicate the problem so they could fix it, but said everything tested out fine. 6 months later, going up a hill, it did it again. The next day, it was fine. Just recently, it did it again coming off a steep hill at a MX track; now it's still doing it. It cuts out on flat ground as well as hills right now.

Any ideas, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-10-2000, 06:58 PM
Range Rover

next time it does it take a wrench or a small hammer and tap the float bowl on the carb with it thats what fixed it when my freinds 300 4by4

Old 04-10-2000, 10:08 PM
Range Rover

what does the spark plug look like?when you took the carb apart was there anything in the bowl,like dirt or water?

Old 04-10-2000, 10:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

About 1.5 -2 years ago, there were a few postings that described a problem VERY similar to what you are experiencing. Please check your bowl vent hose all the way from the carb, up along side the tank, up to the front. There have been a few reports of this hose getting pinched or kinked causing the problems you describe. The problem described by others was - "My bike was cutting off due to fuel starvation on steep inclines and off-camber trails." In one particular case, the hose was pinched between the frame and the gas tank.

Please drop me anote if you have further questions.

Old 04-10-2000, 10:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it only happens when the bike is at a level other than flat ground, it could be the float or float level. You might want to remove the float and check the retaining pin for binding or varnish & measure the float level from the lip of the bowl. You'll have to check with your dealer for the specs unless you have a shop manual.

Old 04-11-2000, 10:39 PM
Trailblazer

Look for something in your exhuast system that could be blocking flow.

Dan

Old 04-11-2000, 11:31 PM
Pro Rider

Two thoughts,

1. As Dand11 stated, obstructions in the exhaust will cause power loss. The obsrtruction can be a carbon buildup over the years, or a baffle that has come loose and intermittently ends up in the wrong place, restricting flow. A good solid fist to the exhaust a few times will usually reveal a loose baffle. You will hear it rattle. Is there a plug in the exhaust to purge carbon? Some manufacturers provide this. This is a common power loss cause in cars - usually it is the catalytic converter that plugs.

2. The second thought is plugged fuel filter. The problem would slowly get worse but would present itself as a lean engine, particularly after a hard run.

DJ