Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

rincon or prairie 650?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2003, 12:34 PM
DRG
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rincon or prairie 650?

just scored a big chunk of hunting ground along the mississippi very steep and wooded trying to figure whether to buy the honda or the kawi worried about not having the front diff lock on the rincon rode it a little on pavement the other day i liked it way better than the 660 griz or the 700 polaris havent been on the 650 prairie yet that looks to have everything except independent rear not sure which is more important looking for opinions thanks dan

Old 01-22-2003, 01:26 PM
Trailblazer

DRG, great choice of quads you got there! I personally own a Rincon and do some serious mudding and love it!
You really can't go wrong with either of them, you just need to look at the pros and cons of each. Although, none of the cons are worth making a decision over.

Prarie-
Pros- POWER POWER POWER! Those things really have it!
Cons- No IRS- Harder ride on the back (the Rincon is a Caddy!)
Low Ground Clearance (not that it will really make a differance anywhere)
Belt Drive (never heard any of my riding buddies complain about slipage, although you "hear" stories about it on the net.
Whining noise from either the motor or trans is kinda annoying, but I'm sure you would get used to it.

Rincon-
Pros- Caddy of quads! VERY nice and comfortable ride. Makes the novice rider look like an expert.
Power is really nice, more than you will ever need really.
It's a Honda. There are still Honda 3 wheelers out there that are still alive and kicking! Long term reliability, if it matters to you (you might not want to keep this quad for 10 years, so it wouldn't matter to you)
Cons- Bumper is inside a plastic shell that gets scratched up, although I really dont care and use my bumper for what it's for )

Notice I didn't post anything about a locking diff on either of these quads. The Rincon does not have one and I have not needed one to date and like I said before, I do some serious mudding.

This is all compiled from my experience as a Rincon owner and riding with other quads in the real world. No BS here-say.
Like I said, you can't go wrong with either one and you will be happy even if you flipped a coin on this one.

~Tim
-----------------
2003 Rincon
Itp C-Series Rims
on 589's
27"x11" Rear, 27"x9" Front

Old 01-22-2003, 04:09 PM
DRG
Weekend Warrior

thanks i appreciate your detailed info i was worried about the dif lock i am glad that you dont miss it i really liked how the rincon rode we are going to be remote and relaibility and toughness are key noticed that you have special tires what would you recomend thanks dan

Old 01-22-2003, 11:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

I would go with the rincon, I owned a prairie in a 3 moth period it was in the shop for 2. I have rode the rincon and it is a far better machine and it has honda reliability!

Old 01-23-2003, 12:32 AM
Trailblazer

Amazing the choices today when we had few two years ago. I got a Rincon. Rode during the x-mas holidays with a guy that was on a p650. His Grizz was in the shop the third time in three rides. He loved the power but hated the ride. He does a lot of high speed trail riding where the suspension works hard. As far as his Grizz, His three buddies have them and have had no problems. I think he nit picks a little. As far as the diff lock, how often do you think it will pull you out of somewhere that the Honda system will not? Under extreme stress a diff-lock is great, such as weight-sled pulls, but under our riding conditions, in the slick stuff, there is little difference with a limited slip.

As far as the bumper,aftermarket, that is what it is there for. I purchased a skidplate from www.Aluminumproducts.com. It covers the plastic and I like the look. It also serves as a place for the hook on the winch. Check it out.

Old 01-23-2003, 12:13 PM
Pro Rider

The Rincon will suit your needs better (DRG) I'd give up power for a smooth ride any day, and the Rincon has lots of that anyways!

Old 01-23-2003, 01:49 PM
Pro Rider

DRG i would get the prairie i have one and i love it. I have 2400 thousand miles and 205 hours the only problem is a minor (minor) belt squel. I have taken it to the sand and it huals a$$ when you want it to, or it will be a caddilac compared to a sport quad. The prairie has a super smooth ride i dont know why everybody says that it has a rough ride it doesnt. I have taken it to the snow,very good in snow. and whith a new cdi box you could take a raptor. I've been able to get 125 miles on one tank not bad for the fastes and funst 4#4 atv on the market. dont pay more for less (also the V-TWIN sounds way better than the single sylinder honda).

Old 01-23-2003, 01:53 PM
Range Rover

DRG, please go ride a Kawi 650! You really don't know what you are missing!

Old 01-23-2003, 01:54 PM
Pro Rider

Yes the p650 is fast!

The ride isn't rough, just not as smooth as the Rincon. The mags say my Kodiak is smooth, and i think it's rather rough in comparison to the sp500, and the Other IRS quads.

They are both capable machines, but i think in ROUGH terrain that the Rincon would be better.

Old 01-23-2003, 03:59 PM
Pro Rider

Some of the rough terrain I have ridden requires engine braking and a front locker...

Quick Reply: rincon or prairie 650?