Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Synthetic Oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2000, 02:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just purchased a new 450 foreman es and I am nearing the 100 mile mark and it is time to change the oil. I was wondering if anyone has used Mobil 1 motorcycle oil? Have you had good luck or is it best not to use it? What are some other things that you all did to properly break in your new machines. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-13-2000, 03:44 PM
Range Rover

i've never used mobile-1 but i've heard good things about it.i use amsoil in my quad and all my vehicles,but i would wait till around 300-500 miles to put the synthetic in to make sure the rings are seated properly

Old 04-13-2000, 04:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

Frankd, would you not change the oil until approx. 300 miles or would you go ahead and change the oil and put regular oil in until 300 miles? Thanks

Old 04-13-2000, 04:24 PM
Pro Rider

I agree, go ahead & change your oil now (100 miles)us Honda oil & then again around 300-400 miles & put in the Mobile 1 then. Your rings should be seated by then.

Old 04-13-2000, 04:52 PM
Pro Rider

I have been running the Mobil 1 motorcycle oil in my 300 4x4 and have had no trouble.

Old 04-13-2000, 05:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Mobil I synthetic motor oil is a wonderful oil to use in the 4-wheeler. Honda will tell you to only use their oil, but I had documentation stating that mobil 1 sythetic oil led the market. The next oil in line was castrol motor oil. An experienced Honda mechanic with 27 years of experience in repairing atv's gave me the printout.
He told me that if I am going to change the oil regularly then it would be best to use the castrol motor oil, but if I am going to not change it pretty regarly then I need to use Mobil 1. If you want more information on the Mobil 1; then I would call Mobil 1 company and ask them to send you the printout of the oils compared to each other in motorcycles.
Hope this information is helpful..

Old 04-13-2000, 07:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Been using Mobil1 10w-40 motorcycle oil for over a year in our '98 TRX300 4x4 and used it at the 20hr oil change in our '00 TRX450s. I had contacted Mobil1 about using it in centrifugal clutch applications. They replied that it should be fine for that. They were also careful in their wording, using words like should and probably...not definitely and absolutely. Anyway, I'm still using it with no ill effects so far.
Dale

Old 04-14-2000, 11:11 AM
Pro Rider

Greetings,

A while back there was a big discussion on this. A few contributers (seemingly knowledgable mechanics) pointed out that the synthetic oils don't cling to the engine parts as long -- they are more slippery and so drain down more readily. This is less of a problem in a car because it gets run all the time. But a quad tends to stand idle much more and during that time the oil will have more time to drain. This increases the likelihood of extra wear on the piston and cylinder when you start it. Just something to consider in the equation.

Old 04-14-2000, 11:17 AM
Pro Rider

Greetings,

A while back there was a big discussion on this. A few contributers (seemingly knowledgable mechanics) pointed out that the synthetic oils don't cling to the engine parts as long -- they are more slippery and so drain down more readily. This is less of a problem in a car because it gets run all the time. But a quad tends to stand idle much more and during that time the oil will have more time to drain. This increases the likelihood of extra wear on the piston and cylinder when you start it. Just something to consider in the equation.

Old 04-14-2000, 12:59 PM
Pro Rider

I have always used non-synthetic in my 350 Four-Trax.

The oil in the Honda lubricates the engine as well as the gear box and the wet clutch. There was a discussion somewhere that indicated that the synthetic should not be used because of the wet clutch. I don't recall where I read this but I thought it was from the tech guy at ATV Connection. I will try to find it.

I would like to use the synthetic if it is shown to be OK.

As for the engine itself I see no problem. Polaris uses a synthetic 0-W-40 in its machines.

DJ

Quick Reply: Synthetic Oil