Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

I might need some help soon...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2000, 12:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys. I think I made a mistake. I told jeff at high lifter that I wasnt buying the high performance kit from him but from rocky mountain atv. He was really mad. Me and jeff had had alot of back and forth e-mailing, and I always asked him questions when I had one. He is now mad that after he had talked to me for so long that I'm not buying from him. Well how many of you guys in my situation would spend the extra 100 dollars buying the kit from highlifter rather than the other place? Also Jeff said that if I bought the kit from rocky mountain that he wuld not help me with any questions or carb jetting help. So I'm looking to you guys for some help. When I buy the kit, can anyone send me a copy of the directions to put it on? Or help me with the carb jetting over the net? I dont want to pay the local shop to do something that I can do, but I'm going to need to know how to do it before I can. As it stands jeff will not send me a copy of the drections since I'm not buying from him. I just dont have the extra 100 to buy the kit from him. How do you guys feel about this?

------------------
Matt Sibley

1999 Honda 300 4x4 Vampires, Lift Kit, 2500lb WARN winch

Old 01-05-2000, 12:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

Also, I never really thought of jeff as more than an atving friend, that knew more than I did, therefore I tried to learn from him to be better informed about atvs. I did not in anyway intend to waste his time, I thought that he was like most friends, you can talk to them without having to pay them for their time. Should I have thought of it any differently? Keep in mind I'm only 14 and have very little business experience. I'm learning, just need some help.

------------------
Matt Sibley

1999 Honda 300 4x4 Vampires, Lift Kit, 2500lb WARN winch

Old 01-05-2000, 01:26 PM
Pro Rider

What did you expect? You should have just kept your mouth shut. I have been talking to Jeff also. I seems like he has changed. I E-mailed him telling him that people are having problems with there prices and he told me to e-mail Greg. He must not care anymore.

Old 01-05-2000, 01:31 PM
Pro Rider

Matt where are u at at this time of day? I am typing this from school.

Old 01-05-2000, 02:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

If the guy has been giving you help before and then you turn your back on him, regardlesss of the situation, he has the right to be upset.

RoostkIng...

Old 01-05-2000, 02:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

here is my $0.02

I was asking Greg at high lifter questions about certain things when I would get stumped or need advice, well one time I got a sort of nasty letter from him telling me to quit asking him these questions, that if I had a question about his product that I have bought that he would help, but if not then to not ask him. He was acting like I had wrote him 50 letters in 2 months, the way he made it sound.

Well at the time I was getting ready to buy a set of vampire tires, power kit, and possibly a lift kit. Needless to say I didnt after that.

Just for info, I went to my old sent e-mail file and counted 10 questions in a little over 6 months...

I think my patience as a businessman could have been better, but maybe I just couldnt see his angle on things.

Billy Eldred

'99 Magnum 500
'00 TRX400EX

Old 01-05-2000, 02:55 PM
Range Rover

Matt- You bring up an interesting question. Here is my opinion:

If you received information from him on a product he sells and he spent considerable time helping you with your decision, you should have given him the opportunity to make the sale. Price is not always the bottom line particularly if you are going to look to him later for help or information.

If you were going to be price sensitive, you should have found the best price and then obtained the information you needed from that seller.

Only you can be the judge if the information he gave you was worth the extra $. Remember, businesses only stay open if they make a profit. In this case, you decide what profit is reasonable.

One of the ways businesses are able to offer the lowest price is by cutting back in other areas. Less salespeople reduce the fixed cost to the business owner but also require less people to do more work leaving less time to talk to you. In this example, the salespeople are now order takers who may have no knowledge of the product and only need to know how to enter the order.

Unfortunately, we live in a world of Wal-mart and Sam's Wholesale, where the consumer is well educated as to price and information is readily available from the internet and other sources. I like to save $ and enjoy paying the lowest price, but I will pay for information I need.

I guess I have beat this dead horse enough times, and remember, this is only my opinion.

Old 01-05-2000, 02:57 PM
Pro Rider

Matt
If all else fails....ask GORDON! I know that I have sent he several e-mails about what I'm going to have to do when my H.P. kit gets here, and like you I did not buy it from H.L. He has Always been very curtious and helpfull!
Brad

Old 01-05-2000, 03:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Matt, perhaps you're right, you may have made a mistake (everyone does!). Let's see, you LIVE in Shreveport, near High-Lifter, and for a mere hundred bucks savings, you want to buy your junk in Colorado or someplace? And you still expect Jeff of High-Lifter to provide you with technical advice on merchandise you bought elsewhere, after picking Jeff's brain?

For the record, Matt, how many E-mail messages total have you exchanged with Jeff? How much merchandise total dollar value have you purchased from High-Lifter?

Hmmmmm. Local support and technical advice should be worth SOMETHING.

How do you think Jeff is compensated? Does he go home, after answering your questions, satisfied he's prepared you adequately to buy your merchandise from someone else?

How would you feel, in Jeff's place?

This is no great tragedy, but an opportunity to learn about what makes the world go 'round. Unless Jeff has embraced vows of poverty, he expects to be paid. If you buy somplace else, who pays Jeff? Think about it; good luck!

Tree Farmer

[This message has been edited by Tree Farmer (edited 01-05-2000).]

Old 01-05-2000, 05:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should of told Jeff you were 14 yrs old and cash is a problem for you.I'd negotiate a lower price with him.Explain that you'd love to purchase from him but he needs to lower the price somewhat.It allmost allways works,especially if he knew you were getting a lower price somewhere else.His advice and time are worth something,but I'd be willing to bet that he would of lowered that price somewhat.======BILL

------------------

Quick Reply: I might need some help soon...