Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

When is the Rubicon coming out?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2000, 02:57 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright, they said May when it first started, but does anyone know the scoop on when to see the first tests of this bad boy? I hope it won't be as prolonged as a star wars sequel, because I would like to see what Honda has going here. It has been billed as the massive Honda retaliation to all the Polaris's, Praries, and Grizzly's that started the auto tranny fuss. The pre-release drama has set the stage. Now will the big red machine cut the mustard when it hits the floor, or will it just be par for the course of 500's. Supposedly more powerfull, obviously a better suspension than previous hondas, the transmission stands alone. I just want to see how fast it is compared to the others. I can expect the rest from honda, but the speed is the selling point to me. I know it should be trouble free and stable already. Also, is that funky front push bar plastic or steel?

Old 04-15-2000, 07:30 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Andy,I to cant wait to feast my eyes upon this Rubicon either.But for the life of me I cant figure out why Honda went thru all that trouble to manufacture a real nice auto tranny 4x4 quad,but leave out the simpler things like,switchable 2wd-4wd,and disk brakes.WHY? WHY?WHY?====Bill

Old 04-15-2000, 11:03 AM
Pro Rider

For a 4x4 with speed, I think you may want to look at a 2 stroke Scrambler. The Rubicon will be full-time 4WD and I don't think it will have the top speed of another bike turining only 2 wheels. I may be wrong. Either way, I will let you know.
They have been in production for several weeks now. The large sign in front of the factory in Rimmonsville was changed last week from a Rancher to the Rubicon. How is the big Cat running Andy? The more people I run across with them, the more impressed I am. Very good ATVs.

Old 04-15-2000, 01:44 PM
Pro Rider

My dealer expects his first shipment around 6-1-00.

Old 04-15-2000, 09:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'm not really in the market for a quad, just want to see what this one is like. When I'm talking speed, I mean speed for a utility. I wouldn't ever consider the scrambler because its just not a rock climbing, tree mauling, utility quad that you can haul stuff around on. It is great for what its designed for, and I would get the 500 over the 2stroke version anyway if I were after a scrambler.
The Cat is running fine. It is a few mph slower than it was at 500 miles (1070 now), but has no problems to speak of. I clocked it with the truck today. It registered 54 on its speedo flat out on level pavement. In reality after several trials, the 2000 silverado right on its TAIL was showing a consistent 50 mph every time. Now I have an accurate assessment of my 500's top speed, so that is what will get posted any time I talk of the top end. The best I have done in the time that I've had it was 58, so I would say that to be 52-53mph max in the life of this bike. I still would like to see how the Rubicon compares in top speed with the Grizzly and the Sp500 though.

Old 04-17-2000, 01:42 AM
Pro Rider

expect top speed to be aout 52.....just like the rest of the honda utility quads....

Old 04-17-2000, 12:42 PM
Pro Rider

What have you been inhaling? Too much 2-stroke smoke?

Old 04-17-2000, 01:07 PM
Pro Rider

Bill, as I mentioned in an earlier post: How reliable was your sp500? I already know the answer, I've had the same exp. with mine, and my buddies sp's are always in the shop, so I ask: why the big hangup on all the goddies? Have you driven the new Honda Rancher? This may change your opinion slightly on the new front diffs? Steers like a 2wd, maybe not as fun as 2wd - but more reliable then Polaris's system.

Old 04-17-2000, 01:10 PM
Pro Rider

Atving, all be there to pick up all the pieces on your sp. Make sure you bring a few belts also.

Old 04-17-2000, 06:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rancheres,my 99 Sportsman was a big piece of shi-.Some of the problems were dealer related,not repairing things correctly.Since it's return from repair from another dealership in December of 99,it has been great.My brother John bought it and it has only been in the shop once because my brother ripped off the left front AWD senser wire when he was climbing a tree. [idiot brother]Though I had my share of problems with the Sportsman,it does not erase the many number of friends that ride the Sportsman,totally trouble free.I just know to many happy Sportsman owners to call the whole line up junk.I have not ridden the Rancher.I would like to though.I ride as many differant ATVs as I can get my butt on.I enjoy self evaluating them.Im sure that the Rancher is also an excellant 4x4,it just dont have all the bells and whistles that I personally like on an ATV,Happy Trailing,====BILL

Quick Reply: When is the Rubicon coming out?