Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

starting a flooded engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 01:33 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starting a flooded engine

decided to start another topic (in case i'm not the only IDIOT who over used the primer once).

tried to start the machine ('02 rubicon) after it sat for 2 weeks in temps that hit -25.

when i tried to start it i hit the plunger probably 6 times - then drained the battery trying to get the fuel out.

removed the plug, dried it off, but still won' start..

here's what i THINK i should do:

1. buy a new plug!
2. pull the plug and hit the starter a few times to get rid of the fuel in the chamber
3. reinsert plug
4. pull the choke **** (it's still in the teens)
5. hope it starts..

any advice would be appreciated..

Old 02-20-2003, 01:44 PM
Trailblazer

I usually just warm it up with the cutting torch, open the gas tank and point it right in the hole...

or...

In extreme cases you can pull the plug, but usually for flooding I just hold the throttle wide open a few cranks and it should start. If all you did was over prime it though you shouldn't need to pull the plug....definatly shouldn't need to buy a new one. Flooding is a pretty common thing and easy to over come.

Old 02-20-2003, 02:31 PM
Range Rover

My bike didn't like the cold weather too much either. We worked at it for about 2 hours trying to get it going.

One trick is just take a propane torch and heat up the plug really good. I wipe off the ashy deposits and maybe hit it with a bit of sand paper sometimes. Put the plug in while it is hot and then sometimes it will start. Sometimes I have to go the extra step and stick the torch down the plug hole and lightly kick it over a couple times to get rid of the fuel in the chamber. This is not one of my personal favs though.

We found that my bike will not run without getting it warm so we took the propane torch and heated the outside of the cylinder for a couple mins and then it starts right up after a couple of kicks. The combustion chamber is so cold that the gas won't ignite without heating up the cylinder a bit. If you let it sit for a bit the gas will dissipate a little for you too.

I think Maui just wasn't paying attention when he wrote this. Never point the torch in the tank hahaha!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-20-2003, 02:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The plug cleaning tips might work sometimes, but there are times when the plug fails even though it looks ok externally. In those cases, no amount of messing with the spark plug tip gonna work. Better to have a spare plug sitting around and try that one. Once the machine is warm, try putting the fouled one back in and see if it runs ok.

Old 02-21-2003, 07:11 PM
Trailblazer

Try this. Dry the plug thoroughly, burn off any excess fuel if you feel it's warranted. Drain your carburetor if you have an accessible drain screw. On the Rancher, it's on the right side of the carburetor. Open the air box cover or remove it. When it fires, reinstall the air box cover.

Old 02-21-2003, 07:32 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

be sure to have a full charge on your battery to ensure a proper spark. (battery tender)

Generally for starting; gas on, choke on, 1 pump of throttle,,,,then hold 1/8th throttle and let it roll.

If flooded, remove plug, clean and heat, crank motor (open throttle, gas off) for about 6-10 cranks. (to remove fuel, and flush air thru)
Replace plug, start over.

The battery thing is important.

Old 02-24-2003, 10:10 AM
Trailblazer

thanks for all the advice - turns out the plug was bad. put in a new plug and it fired right up (no choke, no primer and the temp outside was a warm 30 degrees)

the machine had 125 miles on it (with about 55 hrs on the engine). it use it around the farm, so it doesn't get a chance to run very far..

learned a valueable lesson:

don't use the primer unless it's extremely cold; as long as the battery has a good charge it should fire up with the instructions posted on this thread:

1. turn on choke
2. hit the throttle slightly
3. start while applying a little throttle

thanks again.. had fun plowing snow all weekend!

Old 02-28-2016, 06:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey I'm new to this.
So I bought a yamaha raptor 80cc from one of my dad's friends so anyways I was ridding it and all of a sudden it started smoking allot and when I stop and I tryed to start it again it didn't turn over it just click..
Can some one help me
Keep in mind this is my first quad so I don't know anything about them

Old 02-28-2016, 09:24 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Simple things first like check the battery and connections, a new plug,check for spark by grounding the plug against the cylinder. If it has spark but doesn't crank,I'd check compression. If you still can't get it to turn over,still just clicks and battery is good,could be a starter solenoid or relay,a bad starter or a piston may have seized.

Old 02-29-2016, 10:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Simple things first like check the battery and connections, a new plug,check for spark by grounding the plug against the cylinder. If it has spark but doesn't crank,I'd check compression. If you still can't get it to turn over,still just clicks and battery is good,could be a starter solenoid or relay,a bad starter or a piston may have seized.

So I went in this morning and there a hose connecting to the carb but on the other end is just hanging nothing connected to it but what caught me it that gas was leaking out of that. What could that mean?
It's an extra hose just chillin there it was like that when I bought it

Quick Reply: starting a flooded engine