Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

4x2 or 4x4?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2000 | 03:52 AM
|
Pro Rider

4X4 isn't a must where I live but it is convenient to have at certain points in a ride. Until this summer all I had ever ridden was a 2 wheel drive bike and there were certain spots I wanted to go but couldn't

If you are just riding dirt trails and sand 4-wheel drive may not be necessary. It is mostly a matter of preference.

Old 01-09-2000 | 02:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm about to buy my first ATV and am down to a couple of final decisions. Most of my riding will be on dirt/trails and occasionally on sand. I'm buying a utility model and am not sure whether to go 4x2 or 4x4. Any opinions?
Also, I'd like some opinions on air cooled v. liquid cooled engines. Which require less maintenance and less attention?

Thanks

Old 01-09-2000 | 02:45 PM
Pro Rider

If your planning on riding dirt/trails, and occaisional sand.... I would hesitate on getting a utility model, at least any bike with shaft drive. From my personal experience sand can and will destroy a shaft drive quad. (now it is posible that it wasn't properly maintained for sand but what would you do?? ) anyways from what you descibe I think I would be leaning tward a 300ex/ 400ex, warroir or something along that line.

Is there a specific reason you want a utility model?

I know that I will never take my FOREMAN to the dunes!

Alot of things will affect your decision like

Hiegth
Weight
Terrain
and so on

Brad
99' 450 FOREMANes
many extra's
and more to be come

[This message has been edited by FOREMANes (edited 01-09-2000).]

Old 01-09-2000 | 02:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

4x4 is great, but if you never ride in anything that might require some extra traction, then you don't necessarily need it. I personally wouldn't have anything but a 4x4, but thats what suits me.

Air cooled requires nothing, and I have never owned a quad that ever overheated on account of that. Liquid doesn't require much at all either. Probably less than your car does, and think of how often you ever have to fool with that. The cooling isn't that big a deal, even though it gets talked about a lot. Maybe if you lived in extreme conditions, but other than that, it's not much of a problem.

------------------
Andy Bassham *(1999 Arctic Cat 500 4x4, 1989 Honda 300)*

Old 01-09-2000 | 06:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

i went with 4x4 for a couple reasons...

1. everyone with a 4x2 has gone somewhere and then wanted to back up, and couldn't b/c of slipping, i have a 4x2 pickup, and i hate that.

2. i live in SC near mountains,, 4x4 goes more places.

3. i didn't go the 2wd, sport type of atv b/c i wanted the utility racks so i could use this for many functions... and if i''m going to the utilty route, i might as well get 4x4...

-brian.

Old 01-10-2000 | 12:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the replies. Forgot to mention I need to go the utility route for use on my property. I've got lots of trails in the hills behind my house, and plan very little if any dune riding.

I'm leaning toward the Honda rancher series. Haven't heard much bad about hondas.

DD

Old 01-10-2000 | 01:18 AM
Trailblazer

The Honda has one of the most reliable motors in a quad. Another prime choice is the '00 Yamaha Kodiak. It is an automatic with push-button 4-wd. It already has full chassis skid plates and CV guards. Also has a 401cc motor. I haven't ridden the new Hondas (Rancher or Rubicon) yet but I am sure they are of the utmost quality. My personal experience has led me to become very anti-Polaris (now I've started a debate). Your best bet would be to talk to a mechanic at a multi-model dealership. He can tell you the shortcomings of the different models and tell you which ones he sees the most.

------------------
a Fast Boy from Illinois -(FBI)- Riding a 2000 Honda 400EX

Old 01-10-2000 | 03:20 AM
Trailblazer

Having owned a 2X4 and a 4X4 Honda, I feel very pleased with my latest choice, 4X4. I chose the Rancher 4X4 ES. There is one incredible thing I found out about hills. If the hill is too steep for a venture upwards, just back up it. A 4X4 can back up anything. Sounds stupid, but it reall is cool. A 2X4 MUST go up something forward or not at all. The only thing I miss about 2X4 is the ability to do donuts...

I will say this, my 4X4 is better at water skipping than my 2X4 ever was.

------------------

Old 01-10-2000 | 10:20 AM
Trailblazer

You can do donuts on a push-button 4-wd model. Currently, only automatics are push-button though.

Old 01-11-2000 | 05:52 PM
Range Rover

I had a chance to test both Rancher ES models 4x2 and 4x4, i ended up buying the 4x4 because of the type of riding that i do.The 4x2 was sportier than the 4x4 and the front end is lighter and is easier to steer.If you get the 4x2 i am sure that you will not be at all dissapointed.I sometimes wish that i would have bought the 4x2 because it was more fun to ride.My 4x4 will wheelie but not like the 2x4 Rancher.I can buy a Rancher ES 4x2 out the door for $4350.