Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2 Stroke Oil ATV vs PWC

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2000, 08:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this really doesn't pertain to HONDA's but I know there will be a response!

My neighbor owns a Sea Doo personnal water craft (PWC) & we were discussing 2 stroke oil, he told me that he had to run marine grade oil in his PWC. What is the difference between regular 2 stroke oil (ATV, motorcycle) or Marine?

Old 04-20-2000, 12:03 AM
Pro Rider

There are different ratings for oils. Much like motor oils, that have like SH, SE, and so on ratings the same applies for two stroke oil.

Some of them are:

NMMA TC-W3, TC-WII
API TC-3, TD-3, TD-4
JASO FC

Most modern two stroke oils use the TC-W3 as the benchmark.

As for your friends Bomb. motor requiring special marine oil. That is correct. The marine rated oils do tend to have a tad more corrosion prevention properties, and will usually specify that on the label. But with most modern oils, especially the full synthetics, they are all about the same.

One special note though, judging by your UserName, you do need to be aware that in snowmobiles the temperature that oil pours at is important. While it doesn't get all that cold around us, it's important to remember. It would be a real bummer to burn down a motor because your mix oil got cold and too thick to pump. I run Amsoil Series 2000 in all of my machines(quads, sleds, bikes), it simply meets and beats almost all of the oil standards that the industry has.

Buy a good brand, and again, it's hard to beat what a full synthetic oil does for ya, and always run that mixed properly.

Old 04-20-2000, 04:35 AM
JRM
Pro Rider

Backcountry is correct, the TCW-3 is a much more thin base than 2 stroke bike oil such as castor 927. the thin boat oil is required so it can flow threw the auto lube pump Most new atv oil is thin TCW-3 oil that can be used in PWC and sleds.. I am also a true amsoil fan 450,000 miles on a honda civic